Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: re US and Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Rumor: re US and Star Alliance

I was on a flight the other day and a FA told me that US's days in *A are numbered. She said that as soon as the 5 year period that US got guaranteed when CO entered *A ends, UA is going to move to expel US from *A. Apparently LH and the other members of the inner circle that have the transatlantic JV are on board. The plan obviously is to cripple US so its prime assets are easy pickings in a bankruptcy sale. I sure hope US is around more than 3 more years but seems like this could be a real issue.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
I would write a letter or email to US asking to clarify what the FA said and make sure to notate the flight and the FA so they can handle the situation accordingly.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I don't think BK is the most likely scenario, *A or no *A, but Doug clearly wants to deal the thing away, so whether AA eats US or vice versa, OW is the future.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
This is about as credible as your local Apple "Genius" telling you when the next iPhone will be released and what will be contained within.

No FA knows whats going on behind the scene. Purely speculative and conjecture.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would never accept as fact anything a flight attendant told me about corporate events. The odds that a rumor like this are true are extremely low.

Also, the theory is dumb. I suppose UA MIGHT want to kick US out of the Star Alliance. But why? It would seem like they're value-added to UA.

And the odds that US would somehow be crippled by such a move and then tossed into bankruptcy is, frankly, idiotic. I'm sure Doug Parker could easily manage being tossed from Star. The most obvious solution would be to join another alliance. Oneworld immediately comes to mind.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neotope
I would write a letter or email to US asking to clarify what the FA said and make sure to notate the flight and the FA so they can handle the situation accordingly.
I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Was just curious if it was true.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx
I would never accept as fact anything a flight attendant told me about corporate events. The odds that a rumor like this are true are extremely low.

Also, the theory is dumb. I suppose UA MIGHT want to kick US out of the Star Alliance. But why? It would seem like they're value-added to UA.

And the odds that US would somehow be crippled by such a move and then tossed into bankruptcy is, frankly, idiotic. I'm sure Doug Parker could easily manage being tossed from Star. The most obvious solution would be to join another alliance. Oneworld immediately comes to mind.
What if AA decided they would rather pick up the desirable US assets and not be burdened by the liabilities ala the TWA acquisition. AA could block US from OneWorld thereby crippling US and making it an easy target.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
You said it...a rumor. So why would you even post? From an F/A who was mostly occupied with a USA Today boosted from a Courtyard?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
And of this conjecture, that much talked about 5 year deal still has a couple years left. And after that, such a change just doesn't happen overnight. I'll worry about such things after 2012. You know, once the Mayan apocalypse lapses.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I just bought US Airways and have decided to make it the premier east coast airline: I am going all Envoy Class on every aircraft and free tequila shots on all Express flights under an hour. There will be a keg of Sam Adams on domestic flights and a keg of heineken for all flights over one hour. If you are Preferred you'll have to call me for an upgrade... I just might be able to help!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: US silver, DL exGM, UA ex1K (now GM), B6, WN, AA
Now, if you were Warren Buffett....oh wait, he tried owning this place.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by UAGuy2
I was on a flight the other day and a FA told me that US's days in *A are numbered. She said that as soon as the 5 year period that US got guaranteed when CO entered *A ends, UA is going to move to expel US from *A. Apparently LH and the other members of the inner circle that have the transatlantic JV are on board. The plan obviously is to cripple US so its prime assets are easy pickings in a bankruptcy sale. I sure hope US is around more than 3 more years but seems like this could be a real issue.
And if airlines that were in a JV that was specifically immunized from antitrust did that to a competitor, the Department of Justice would have everyone in court so fast for antitrust violations so fast it would make their heads spin.

I like geo1005's rumor much better. It's too bad it didn't come from FAs, who are, as we all know on FlyerTalk, the most authoritative source for airline business strategy you could find.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:40 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by geo1005
I just bought US Airways and have decided to make it the premier east coast airline: I am going all Envoy Class on every aircraft and free tequila shots on all Express flights under an hour. There will be a keg of Sam Adams on domestic flights and a keg of heineken for all flights over one hour. If you are Preferred you'll have to call me for an upgrade... I just might be able to help!
Are you bringing back XO bars too?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:51 am

Most FA's that I encounter on the "main line" carriers are still sore about bankruptcies and the impact on their jobs, pensions etc. I wouldn't place much faith in her/his comments or speculation. Besides, with the CO/UA merger, that would just leave one primary U.S. *A member
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by UAGuy2
What if AA decided they would rather pick up the desirable US assets and not be burdened by the liabilities ala the TWA acquisition. AA could block US from OneWorld thereby crippling US and making it an easy target.
What if it's US picking up AA's assets instead?

Seriously, I've heard some crazy rumors from various employees over the years. This one is a doozy too. When encountering such speculation I just keep in mind that rank-and-file employees in any company aren likely to be kept in-the-loop on corporate strategy like this until an actual announcement is made. Anything else is just gossip, and just as likely to be untrue as true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.