Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Upgrade Sequence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Strange Upgrade Sequence

Flying on a multi-city itenerary- A to B, then B to C the next day, I encountered a strange upgrade sequence.

My original flight A to B (on a 900) was cancelled, and I was booked on the next flight leaving 2 hours later (on a 319). I asked the agent if there were any upgrades available for the cancellation on either that flight or my next leg (b to c) as other airlines (DL) frequently reserve F seats for elite IRROPS- she said no... no big deal.

I then went to check in for B to C (CLT to LGA, also on a 319). I had received the email that no upgrades were available a few days earlier, just as would be expected for a FO on that route... but to my surprise at check it, up pops a box that there are complimentary upgrades available and did I want it, yes or no...

I've never seen anything like this before... was it my IRROPS? (only A to B was rebooked in Y... B to C still showed original class). was it a US IT glitch? anyone else ever experience this? It kind of seemed like there was a seat (or seats) sitting out there as a free for all to the first elite checking in (I was checking in some 18 hours before flight).
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
I've had this happen many times, no upgrade, then upon check in I am offered an upgrade. I thought this was normal that they tried again at check-in. I expect its because some on the flight changed their reservation. I've even had this happen before on award tickets.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachbrew
I've had this happen many times, no upgrade, then upon check in I am offered an upgrade. I thought this was normal that they tried again at check-in. I expect its because some on the flight changed their reservation. I've even had this happen before on award tickets.
So <24hrs, is it a wild free for all? Is there benefit to checking OLCI throughout the day (without completing the process) to see if one has come free?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
In my experience, Yes.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by tolkiennut
So <24hrs, is it a wild free for all?
I think it's definitely a free-for-all. I got that message when doing OLCI for a PHX-DCA flight -- and I'm only Silver. I couldn't believe my eyes because PHX-DCA is a tough upgrade and I never expected to get it as a lowly Silver. I bet there were 10 people in back with higher status than me.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
From what I've been told, it's not exactly an free-for-all. If you have not received the upgrade at least a day before your flight, you should select the "upgrade" button when checking in online. The names are then placed on the waiting list and cleared Sequentially. So that means if a Silver gets on the waitlist ahead of CP, Silver gets the upgrade.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
From what I've been told, it's not exactly an free-for-all. If you have not received the upgrade at least a day before your flight, you should select the "upgrade" button when checking in online. The names are then placed on the waiting list and cleared Sequentially. So that means if a Silver gets on the waitlist ahead of CP, Silver gets the upgrade.
That doesn't look to be quite true. It looks like the rank order for day of flight upgrades is earliest within the same preferred level but preferred level first -

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure

If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

From US Airways
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steve65341
That doesn't look to be quite true. It looks like the rank order for day of flight upgrades is earliest within the same preferred level but preferred level first -

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure

If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

From US Airways

None of this rings true for me. From the looks of it, there had to be more US G and up on this flight. And I had a radio button on my OLCI that booked me right into F... not standby list (as with DL and UN).

If I were G/P/CP, I'd be frustrated... That said, as a lowley FO, I'll take it... and game in the future.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
I actually think the way it works is that if there is an open F seat when you are doing OLCI, any level of US elite will see the "Complimentary Upgrade" option. I think the day of departure upgrade list is when there are no available seats left in F and the list is used only if someone does not check-in or there is an unexpected opening in F. I could be wrong.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan
I actually think the way it works is that if there is an open F seat when you are doing OLCI, any level of US elite will see the "Complimentary Upgrade" option. I think the day of departure upgrade list is when there are no available seats left in F and the list is used only if someone does not check-in or there is an unexpected opening in F. I could be wrong.
I have no evidence to back me up but I believe this is how it works in reality - not necessarily how it's advertised or supposed to work. IMO it definitely pays to play with OLCI.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Complimentary upgrades (based upon availability) are only offered at the kiosk. Not OLCI.

HTSC
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
Complimentary upgrades (based upon availability) are only offered at the kiosk. Not OLCI.

HTSC
I beg to differ. Just last week when I did OLCI, there was an option that said "Complimentary Upgrade." It was next to Print Boarding Passes and Select Seats I believe (it was a third option). Selected it and got my F upgrade and did the dance
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC

HTSC
I just used OLCI and a radio button for a comp upgrade appeared. That is what this thread is about.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Originally Posted by tolkiennut
I just used OLCI and a radio button for a comp upgrade appeared. That is what this thread is about.
Very interesting, because I had the opposite happen to me when I did OLCI. No change of upgrade at OLCI, but was offered it at the kiosk.

HTSC
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:23 am

That's not what I've been told by the chairmans desk

Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
They said upgrades clear 1st by elite level and then within level by check in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.