Wiki Posts
Search

Behind the Scenes of US Airways at PHL

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman
Behind the Scenes of US Airways at PHL

Here's an interesting video I came across the other day from the local NBC station in Philly. It goes into some of the ways US is working on improving PHL, including the newly constructed baggage area.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...120932469.html
Old May 18, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for sharing! I found it very interesting and enlightening.

Jimbo
Old May 18, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jwhite4304
Thanks for sharing! I found it very interesting and enlightening.

Jimbo
Agreed. Four minutes well spent.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
If the new baggage handling system they showed will increase bag processing speed between checkin and the aircraft (or aircraft and baggage claim) by 4x, that could to be a huge improvement to the PHL environment just for reducing the time that the bags can be looted by PHL handlers or the TSA.

However, if the bags process through the system and then just sit and wait, that may have the effect of giving more time for baggage thieves to peruse the contents at their leisure.

And none of the new ATC technology or baggage machinery has any direct impact on the biggest issue in PHL, and that is a lack of customer service.
Old May 18, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
If we only had that here.
Old May 18, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
If we only had that here.
The squeaky wheel always gets fixed first

Originally Posted by RIC Hokie
Here's an interesting video ......
^ Thanks for sharing!
Old May 21, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
So if they have all that extra time, does that mean that the Priority tags will actually mean something in PHL?

I still remember looking on in shock when I flew US into Munich and got to watch all the Priority tagged bags come out first one after the other....
Old May 21, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: US PP, Marriott S, Hilton S
Thanks for sharing that video... it's very interesting!

FWIW, fordan, I flew TLV-PHL this week, and to my pleasant surprise the priority tagged luggage was first onto the bag carousel, so I was able to be one of the first through customs and out to my connecting domestic flight. It certainly made the process less time-consuming, as I'm sure the lines weren't quite as short for the rest of the 250 passengers who came through after me.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by JoeBB
Thanks for sharing that video... it's very interesting!

FWIW, fordan, I flew TLV-PHL this week, and to my pleasant surprise the priority tagged luggage was first onto the bag carousel, so I was able to be one of the first through customs and out to my connecting domestic flight. It certainly made the process less time-consuming, as I'm sure the lines weren't quite as short for the rest of the 250 passengers who came through after me.
My parents flew MUC-PHL in Envoy last Sunday, and their priority-tagged bags were the very last to come off the belt.
Old May 21, 2011, 1:27 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by SS255
My parents flew MUC-PHL in Envoy last Sunday, and their priority-tagged bags were the very last to come off the belt.
Our priority tagged bags were also the very last bags out from a flight (Envoy) from FRA -PHL two weeks ago.

Bobette
Old May 24, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Thanks - nice to see they're working on improvements. I've found that half the time my priority-tagged bags are first, half the time they are last (when I check bags, relatively rarely). I figure the average is basically the same whether or not I go with the tags, so I still get them, and send a note of disappointment when they do come out dead last.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I recently took a rare flight on UA (SFO-PHL) and all the Priority-tag bags came off first at PHL. Made me wonder why US can't do the same...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.