Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger rearranging the overheads

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
Passenger rearranging the overheads

Took a US flight on an E190 this week from DFW to PHL. I was upgraded, boarded early, and quickly moved to my seat in 4D. About 10 passengers later a guy got on in first and proceeded to start taking bags out of the overhead and gave them to other first class passengers to put them under their seats.

He goes on to lecture everyone in first about how to load the overhead bins, and how his stuff had to go there - when they could put (what looked like pretty large briefcases) under their feet.

The stewardess (a big goofy guy) just stood there and watched.

Nobody said boo to this guy. I wasnt involved, but I wouldn't have let him move my stuff. He was pretty much an ....... about it as well. (Funny aside, he then sat in the wrong seat and made everyone rearrange their seats to suit him as well.)

He wasnt a rich guy, had a cheap watch and had on a Harley t shirt and jeans, and was probably upgraded.

Unusual or normal?

I have never seen this before.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: None
I'd guess unusual unless he was in the 1st row. 1st row passengers have nowhere else to put their bags than the overhead.

Jim
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
Nope, row 3 - either A or F - he couldn't really decide.

He was taking guys in row 2's briefcases out and handing them back to them.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
That's pretty unusual. I'd tell him to put my bag where he found it.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
The Harley attire and cheap watch are totally normal for F on the DFW-PHL run.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
His behavior isn't as shocking as all the other pax compliance with "his" demands.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:58 am
Suspended

I actually give him ^ for doing it

afterall Everyone is asked to place whatever will fit under the seat in front of you , Under the seat and not in the overhead. Same goes for the jackets

So if he had 1 roller or bag that wouldnt fit under the seat but would in the overhead, he did Right by me. Now if he came on with 2 or 3 bags then Id tell him just as we shouldnt put the small stuff up there You are suppose to only bring on 1 carry-on and 1 personal item thusly if you are bringing on more then you should stow it in the coach area if you can

Clothing has Nothing to do with anything, I know people worth close to 100M and if you saw them youd think they were on welfare, and when they fly they look just like that only difference is they actually pay F for the FC tkts they fly on
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
I've seen this several times. Unfortunately, I've been the victim of attempted rearrangements also:

I use the good old CostCo "As big as we dare make it(TM)" rolling carry on that, as an aside, is also the bag of choice of about 90% of pilots.

Unfortunately, this bag does not fit 'wheels out' in some overhead bins, leading other late arriving Pax to try to rotate it and then ..... up a storm when I point out that it is not rotatable.

Cheers,

Paul. (oh yes, I am well aware that there is plenty of room for debate about who is actually in the wrong here!!)
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: US CP
It does not happen often but every now and then you get a FA who guards the overheads for row one and at the bulkheads, saving space for those passengers and I have to say that I really appreciate that for the reason Boeing Boy Jim cited above.

Otherwise it's the salmon swimming upstream to retrieve your stuff when it's time to deplane.

As far as Mr. Re-arragner goes, if he keeps that act up he'll get some pointed feedback no doubt.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by craz

afterall Everyone is asked to place whatever will fit under the seat in front of you , Under the seat and not in the overhead. Same goes for the jackets
I completely disagree that this is the notional rule. I think the rule is (or should be) one bag in the overhead and the "personal item" under the seat in front of you. I often travel with only one small bag that will in fact fit under the seat in front of me, but I put it in the overhead. I'm a tall guy and airplane seats are uncomfortable enough without taking away the last 12 inches of foot space. If that actually was the rule, I'd start bring a carry on that was too big to fit under the seat that was mostly empty, just to ensure that I didn't have anything blocking my feet.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by MikeLaw
I completely disagree that this is the notional rule. I think the rule is (or should be) one bag in the overhead and the "personal item" under the seat in front of you. I often travel with only one small bag that will in fact fit under the seat in front of me, but I put it in the overhead. I'm a tall guy and airplane seats are uncomfortable enough without taking away the last 12 inches of foot space. If that actually was the rule, I'd start bring a carry on that was too big to fit under the seat that was mostly empty, just to ensure that I didn't have anything blocking my feet.
+1.

I'd have told him exactly where he could put any bag he attempted to displace from the overhead. His late boarding is not my problem.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
If the pax is in the bulkhead then they should ask the FA from some closet space if no space is available in the overhead bin. They have no authority to tell me where my bag should go. What they are wearing makes zero difference to me.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
The Harley attire and cheap watch are totally normal for F on the DFW-PHL run.
what this cat was wearing matters why?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: US Silver, HHonors Silver
If he boarded late, it isn't my problem that there isn't space for his stuff. Now granted, I'm usually courteous and put my briefcase/laptop bag under the seat in front and my rollaboard up above. But if it is getting close to door closing time and there is still space, I'll put my laptop bag up too. Especially in Y. If I'm just traveling with my laptop bag, it is about a 50-50 split if I put it up in the overhead or not.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craz

So if he had 1 roller or bag that wouldnt fit under the seat but would in the overhead, he did Right by me. Now if he came on with 2 or 3 bags then Id tell him just as we shouldnt put the small stuff up there You are suppose to only bring on 1 carry-on and 1 personal item thusly if you are bringing on more then you should stow it in the coach area if you can

Clothing has Nothing to do with anything, I know people worth close to 100M and if you saw them youd think they were on welfare, and when they fly they look just like that only difference is they actually pay F for the FC tkts they fly on
I give him a ^ too. And the FA gets a This is what they should be doing on all flights. if it fits under the seat, put it there. If you have 2 items and neither fits, then check it. The airlines should not let you get away with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.