Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's That Time of Year...so Where is It??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
It's That Time of Year...so Where is It??

Isn't it that time of year for the first Double Preferred Milage promo? A US or MC would be nice. Hubby had hoped to start the year off with a visit to our daughter in HAM for her birthday. Any inside scoop?
Eileen
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:59 am

I'm not quite ready for another trip to BTR. My back still hurts from the last one.

I would love another HSJ promo but with some more scenic locations.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by mileshound
I'm not quite ready for another trip to BTR. My back still hurts from the last one.

I would love another HSJ promo but with some more scenic locations.
+1

That was painful, but the airport fries were delicious!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, AA, BA, US
Ah, BTR. My back hurt too. Plus, I ended up spending the night after my connection on AA got cancelled. Still, it was well worth the effort for the gold.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: US Chairman
I think they should bring back the HSJ promo, but modify it a bit. I think it was way to easy for people to increase their status to the next tier. I think something along the lines of the 1st 4 maintaining status, then the next 4 kick in the upgrades.

I know selfishly, I'd like to see it again. I'm changing jobs in 2 weeks, which will result in significantly less air travel. I'll be lucky to hit silver this year (although I'm already halfway there). For those of you naysayers that would comment that if I'm not travelling, I shouldn't have a high status, I totally agree with you. You do get a bit spoiled sitting up front though, and I really like dealing with the CP line when you have irrops. I'll miss the club membership too...but that's how it goes.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: None
With the huge caveat that I have absolutely no idea what US will do promotion-wise this year, I wouldn't surprise me if US wasn't nearly as generous with promotions this year. It's coming off a pretty good year for profits, so probably won't be doing as much to sell tickets or bring in incremental revenue.

I think I read somewhere that there's been 3 general fare increases this year already and US is tinkering with higher fees, both of which could decrease the pressure to get people on planes (like the HSJ and double miles promos) or give extra miles through affiliated merchants.

Jim
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
With the huge caveat that I have absolutely no idea what US will do promotion-wise this year, I wouldn't surprise me if US wasn't nearly as generous with promotions this year. It's coming off a pretty good year for profits, so probably won't be doing as much to sell tickets or bring in incremental revenue.

I think I read somewhere that there's been 3 general fare increases this year already and US is tinkering with higher fees, both of which could decrease the pressure to get people on planes (like the HSJ and double miles promos) or give extra miles through affiliated merchants.

Jim
You can look at it the other way around. If US had a good year last year and the promotions helped then they should keep it going and build on success. If they instituted fare increases then the promotions will help them even more. Giving out elite status does not really cost them anything.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: None
You're right, giving out status/miles costs very little and you may be right about having the same or more promos this year than last. But the promos do have a cost - especially the miles promos. So I was just looking at it from the point that there isn't as much financial pressure as there was last year (as long as oil stays in the $80-$90 range) since fares and some fees are up from last year.

Like I said though, I have absolutely no idea what will happen promo-wise.

Jim
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Have any other airlines announced a double-miles promo yet this year? Usually it's not just US who does.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Last year's DPQM didn't start till April 13 or so, and the year before it was mid or late March. They don't tend to give a lot of advance notice on these. If there's going to be DPQM again, I'd imagine they'd want it over and done with before Memorial Day kicks off the busy summer season--- why give people DPQM on what they're flying anyway--- but since these promos only last about 4-6 weeks, and they don't warn us they're coming, I'd not be counting the minutes just yet.

I think there *will* be double PQM at some point this year; I'd say 75% chance it starts in mid-March; I doubt they will start it between March 15 and April 15, though, as they're launching that mysterious Preferred Dividends thing on March 31 if memory serves me, and they'll not want to draw attention away from that.

I also think this will be a good year for promos simply because it's the best time to lure folks away from the combined UA/CO program now that they're settling into it. I'm not saying that people are leaving in droves, only that people are very passionate about their FF programs and can be very resistant when they see those programs changing; if you want to recruit someone, the best time to do it is when they're already half-looking.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I think last year's Double Preferred Mile promo kicked off in late March/early April and ran through June 15 (I know it ended June 15 as I traveled on that date, barely squeaked in a trip).

Two years ago, the Double Preferred Mile promo started in late Jan/early Feb and went through around late March/early April.

In years past, major promotions (excluding Grand Slam) have been primarily in the 1st or 4th quarter (Grand Slam seems to always be in Sep). Around 4-5 years ago, there was an, "everything counts," promo in the 4th quarter, where any miles posted (including hotels, car rentals, and even the shopping mall) counted for preferred status. Along with promos, fares were substiantially less in years past; I've done some PHX-MUC trips for around $430 all-in, through the US website.

As others have said, if loads are high, there many not be any incentive for US to do a promotion right now.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I think last year's Double Preferred Mile promo kicked off in late March/early April and ran through June 15 (I know it ended June 15 as I traveled on that date, barely squeaked in a trip).

Two years ago, the Double Preferred Mile promo started in late Jan/early Feb and went through around late March/early April.
That's exactly as I remember it as well.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
Did I miss something?

Here we are in early Oct and I haven't seen ANY preferred double miles promo's. Grand Slam is now running, but that requires SO many miles to get any preferred, it doesn't really count. We are so far behind, we may have to buy up next year. My hubby was diagnosed with untreatable cancer this spring. Being CP made it possible to get our daughter home from HAM on an award booked less than 24 hrs in advance. We need to keep that flexibility next year....and we might have to buy more miles, too.
Eileen
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
US is running a profit without bribing elites to fly a bunch of mileage runs to fill up empty planes, so no DEQM promos.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
US is running a profit without bribing elites to fly a bunch of mileage runs to fill up empty planes, so no DEQM promos.
Exactamundo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.