Search

Shortest Mainline Flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:38 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ITRADE
Yep, I also flew BWI-DCA. Wheels up - 9 minutes.
That one was even better back in the days of the 750 mile minimum per segment. IIRC, that was flown with a mix of Dash 8s and the old Dash 7s.

Another short run was PIT-YNG (58 mi) in the old Shorts 360.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Although the E190 is mainline, there is a saturday only A319 that goes from LGA-PHL. It also typically continues onto a destination in Florida with the same number. 95 miles.

The E190 is the 6am flight, with the A319 being the 7:40 flight.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

But BWI-DCA was on Dash-8.
United Express also had BWI-IAD flight on J32. Once I wanted to take it and RT fare was $550
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by bwiadca
United Express also had BWI-IAD flight on J32. Once I wanted to take it and RT fare was $550
Given the traffic on the beltway most days, that seems like a reasonable price
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
When I was living in MIA (back in the days of the 750 mile minimum) I could occasionally book FLL-MIA-BWI-DCA for the same as the FLL-DCA fare. That kept those old school 800-mile upgrade paper certs flowing into the mailbox!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ITRADE
Yep, I also flew BWI-DCA. Wheels up - 9 minutes.
I did it, but it wasn't a jet. My routing was HVN-BWI-DCA
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Not much more than a taxi.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

US Air regularly flew ITH-ELM and ELM-ITH with DC-9's and 737's in the 1970's and 1980's. Thirty-two miles, according to the Great Circle Mapper. These flights were sometimes part of a PIT-ELM-ITH-PIT, or PIT-ITH-ELM-PIT flight.

You can view a 1979 US Air timetable at:

http://www.departedflights.com
Haha ahh the good old days; too bad they wouldn't give you 500mi for that segment. I also remember ITH-SYR on the 1900 then enjoying the club in SYR while I connected, the old Empire routes! CO used to do ITH-BGM-EWR on the ATR in the early 1990's.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Not exactly operated by a mainline aircraft, but in summer of 2008 I flew UA on a run from SNA-LAX. It was a GREAT flight across town just after sunset -- the lights of LA were fun to see.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: US CP
The ONT to LAX in a Dash 8 was nerve wracking...knowing you're popping up into a very busy approach pattern.

Right now, and I don't know if it's because Jan/Feb there are a lot of events in Tucson that draw tourists but they are actually bringing two mainline jets into TUS daily (at least M-F) A 737 then about an hour later a 319. The 737 was a recent add. In the mid 90's AWA was all 737's and no RJs....for a really short flight.

Somewhat annoying thing about the TUS to PHX is the frequency that flights are held on the ground @ TUS pending a spot in the PHX approach pattern since it's so close an PHX is so busy.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:04 am

Programs: US GP, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
Given the traffic on the beltway most days, that seems like a reasonable price
Seriously...
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Wally Bird AZ
The ONT to LAX in a Dash 8 was nerve wracking...knowing you're popping up into a very busy approach pattern.
Feh, back in the mid to late 90s you had ONT-LAX in a J32. Same with SAN-LAX, PSP-LAX, and FAT-LAX. Bumble bee on steroids.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: US Silver, AGR Select Exec, PC Plat, HH Gold
Many of these are about past flights...

or routes previously run. I'm going DCA-PHL (119 miles) on Sunday on an A319. Plane looks half-empty right now, probably a bit of an overkill.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 2:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Wally Bird AZ
Right now, and I don't know if it's because Jan/Feb there are a lot of events in Tucson that draw tourists but they are actually bringing two mainline jets into TUS daily (at least M-F) A 737 then about an hour later a 319. The 737 was a recent add. In the mid 90's AWA was all 737's and no RJs....for a really short flight.

Somewhat annoying thing about the TUS to PHX is the frequency that flights are held on the ground @ TUS pending a spot in the PHX approach pattern since it's so close an PHX is so busy.
The Tucson Gem & Mineral Show is (I think) the largest of its kind in the world. One year I tried getting a hotel room in town, not knowing, and it was a major mess...crazy prices for a room that would go for $50 in summer. But I have gone to the show, and it is something worth seeing, at least once.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by GreenHawkIA
or routes previously run. I'm going DCA-PHL (119 miles) on Sunday on an A319. Plane looks half-empty right now, probably a bit of an overkill.
My CLT-RDU flight (130 miles) yesterday morning on a 734 must have only had 25 people on board, if not less. I had the entire back three rows to myself.

I know it's not the shortest by any stretch, but after we reached 10,000 feet, the purser did a five-minute spiel about the US Airways MC, and the initial decent started right after. Because of this, i'm tempted to try a CLT-GSO flight just for the heck of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.