Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHX-MRY on a Dash-8? Good God.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
PHX-MRY on a Dash-8? Good God.

That's right, the evening PHX-MRY flight, scheduled at 2hr45 (598 miles) is on a Dash-8-200. That's just mean! It makes the morning CRJ-200 flight look like paradise by comparison.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Wows. Two suggestions:
1) Go to the bathroom before. Seriously.

2) Bring earplugs. Or listen to your favorite songs now, because you could be deaf when you land.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Ah the ole flying tanks. At least the wing won't block your view of the beautiful coastal California scenery on approach
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Or just fly to the Bay Area and drive. What is it, like an hour to 90 min from SJC to the Monterey area? But you'd probably be on an old 737 to SJC.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
90 minutes is a good conservative estimate.

I haven't seen the old 737s in SJC*. I see them more doing the ONT run.

*unless you meant the other airline...the one that I can never get upgraded on.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:57 pm
Suspended

The Dash-8 while a noisy and slower aircraft is actually more comfortable than the CRJs. I'd pick a Mesa Dash-8 anyday over a CRJ especially in 1CDF or 4ACDF. And yes the lav isnt all the spacious and it has no running water, but its not all that bad.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
The Dash-8 while a noisy and slower aircraft is actually more comfortable than the CRJs. I'd pick a Mesa Dash-8 anyday over a CRJ especially in 1CDF or 4ACDF. And yes the lav isnt all the spacious and it has no running water, but its not all that bad.
Spoken like a true shill/employee of US Airways.

Do not blame the Dash-8 as it is a fine aircraft, I've flown them several times on Air Canada and the experience is totalaly different.

The "Silencers" on the AC versions are operational as oppossed to the US/Mesa Versions that have disconnected them as a cost cutting measure. (The High Cost of Cheap Again).

The aircraft is not the problem. The airline operating the aircraft is THE problem.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Its the aircraft not the airline. Its more spacious comparing to CRJ but I'd rather be on a CRJ. Last year I've done my first DHC-8 flights.
PHX-YUM-PHX on USX
PHL-DCA on USX
DCA-EWR-DCA on COC.
The noise is the biggest problem. Bombardier calls them -Q400, Q for Quiet. Yeah right.
I think the only -Q verision for USX are with Piedmont and they are -300 variants.
The -200s operated by Piedmont and Mesa are non-Qs.
I'd take ATR-72 -200 or -500 anyday over DHC-8.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:37 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Its the aircraft not the airline.
The noise is the biggest problem.
I believe that it's the noise that Sparrow-Hawk is talking about. PDT and probably Mesa had the Q version - all Dash 8's deliver since 1996 had the noise suppresion system - but removed the noise cancellation system due to maintenance costs. To be fair to Tempe, US did it on the PDT -300's well before the merger. Since Mesa didn't operate the Dash-8 for US prior to the merger, it was either HP management's decision or Mesa's with no HP disapproval.

There is definitely a difference between the Q's and those that have had the Q system deactivated - try to imagine buying a good set of noise canceling headphones then taking out the noise canceling parts.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Jan 20, 2011 at 6:40 am
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sparrow_Hawk
Spoken like a true shill/employee of US Airways.
Spoken like somebody who has such a hatred of an airline (and its partners) that cant believe when something even remotely positive is said.

Also how would just saying that one plane is better than another, qualify anybody as a shill or employee? I didnt say the Dash-8 was great, I just said it was better than the CRJ.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Mesa's Dash-8's are truly deafening - it is like flying inside a cement mixer filled with buckshot through a hailstorm.

Since the folks flying PHX-MRY are generally well-heeled, I am always surprised that US would let Mesa tarnish their reputation so thoroughly on this route. It isn't like the high-net-worth individuals can't make a change to an alternate form of transport on this route. I know of two guys who have just to avoid this airborne annoyance.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: US Silver, HHonors Silver
I don't mind flying the Dash 8 on really short routes, but I think more than an hour on the thing would be brutal! I honestly like the CRJ more than the Dash 8 also. I regularly fly SCE-PHL and the reverse, and they mix CRJ's and Dash 8's. I take the CRJ anytime I can because I don't feel there is that much difference in the seating and the CRJ gets me there in almost 1/2 the time.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Sparrow_Hawk
The airline operating the aircraft is THE problem.

If this airline is so offensive to you, why stick around? The constant banging of the anti-US Airways drum got old a LONG time ago. You think US is poorly managed and that upper level management is aweful. We got it already!

As for the Dash-8, I'm kind of fond of them for shorter hops as they are basic, simple flying machines. I'd take a Dash over a CRJ for DCA-PHL (or similar) any day.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
Ahh yes the good ol' APUless Mesa Ocho's!!! When I was at MAG we did PHX-MRY on the 900 for a while.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by geo1005

If this airline is so offensive to you, why stick around? The constant banging of the anti-US Airways drum got old a LONG time ago...
Actually, it is the Mesa air Group that operates these birds, and they are THE problem. Yes, HP had its faults, and grafting on old US added some more, but the new US is light-years ahead of the game compared to the shambling wreck that is Mesa and JOrnstein.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.