Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get US Air to refund my dead moms ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Exclamation How to get US Air to refund my dead moms ticket?

Thread Title says it all.

I mailed a hard letter to Phoenix with death certificate three months ago.

No response, no nothing.

To cheer it up, CO sent an email saying, "Congratulations, your refund has been issued!"

When I explicitly sent them a note my mom died.

(she spent her last year between the U.S. Southwest and Northern New England)
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
RoyalFlush, I am very sorry about the loss of your mother and I understand your frustration in getting this resolved.

I think at this point a firm, but well-written letter using the US Airways email contact form might be your next best course of action. I would attach a copy of your original letter within that email. I would politely express dismay at their lack of timeliness and empathy in dealing with this refund. You will first get a reciept acknowledgement reply followed by a reply addressing that concern. It is that second email that will offer up a contact name in case you need to reply. I am making no excuses for them but sometimes postal mail gets lost in the re-routing from desk to desk, person to person.

I almost would be tempted, myself, to bombard every avenue of contact - including attempting to call them, FAX them, and re-send the hard copy letter.

Phone number and Fax that I have are:
Phone: 480-693-0800
Fax: 602-997-9875

Perhaps there is someone in the Forum who has had more experience with this particular issue and can suggest another avenue.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:27 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Condolences on your loss. If you have an attorney handling the estate, a letter from them might get some action, as the refund is, assuming your mom paid for the ticket, property of the estate.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:15 am

First, I am sorry for your loss.

Second, a good buddy of mine recently lost his Father and after calling US Airways Reservations to cancel the ticket was given the address of the US Airways Refunds Department in Phoenix, AZ.

US Airways
4000 East Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Attention: Passenger Refunds

He FedExed the required documents to the Refunds Department and I would say within a day or so of receiving the FedEx his refund was issued.

I am not sure if sending it Signature Required helped it get more attention or not, but I do know that he was surprised at how fast US Airways responded to the refund request.

Hope that helps,
Dan

Last edited by dan1431; Jan 5, 2011 at 6:23 am Reason: Added some additional Info
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Thread Title says it all.

I mailed a hard letter to Phoenix with death certificate three months ago.

No response, no nothing.
Before you assume US is not responding, do you know if they ever even received the letter? As another poster mentioned, send it to US where you know it can be tracked and has to be signed for. This way you know for sure it gets there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.