Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Customer Relations--INOP overhead lamp

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Angry US Customer Relations--INOP overhead lamp

On a recent nighttime flight from PHX to BOS my overhead lamp didn't work--meaning I couldn't read, and wound up spilling the dinner on myself! I sent US a complaint, and all they said was they were sorry and thank you for my patronage! I sent a response stating that United usually gives some sort of compensation for any problems, and they just said they were sorry, again...How does anyone get credit vouchers from them?

Last edited by aztimm; Dec 31, 2010 at 5:22 pm Reason: changed post title to better fit the post
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Few airlines can compete with UA's Skykit bonanza. Since speculation is that they'll go away as the hybrid UA/CO takes shape, I suggest you get used to getting reasonable compensation for reasonable problems and not a $200 voucher for a burned-out reading lamp. I suggest you resend your email and specifically name your price. It's not the lamp's fault that you spilled dinner on yourself; if it was too dark to see my tray, I'd have asked the FA's to raise the lighting in the cabin for meal service. So focus on being unable to read-- by the way, did you inform the FA and see if a seat swap could be made? I'd think this would be worth asking for 5k miles or so, as a token, to make up for your inconvenience. But if you ask for or expect UA-level compensation here, you simply will not get it, and I don't think it's deserved, either.

UA's over-generosity has bred a compensation-hungry client base who goes out of their way looking for minor problems in hopes of writing themselves a big paycheck (pay voucher really). The OP may or may not fall into this category but either way, I expect we'll see a lot more posts like this as former UA elites try flying on US and other carriers.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: US C.P.
Compensation for a burned out light bulb???
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by itsme110
Just what I was thinking
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by itsme110
That's one of the default, pre-filled in options on the United website for entering Skykits...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
OMG... Cant we please lock this thread under the MOST RIDICULOUS THING EVER TO COMPLAIN ABOUT?

Life is just too short...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:15 am

Seriously the way UA's skykits work, we could add "complaint running" to our other favorite pastimes of mileage running and bump running! There will be a lot of upset people when this particular gravy train comes to a stop.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
I needed a laugh, burned out light bulb. People need to get a real life.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by RICflyer
Seriously! What's next, $50 for every hair found on US Airways' F seat pockets?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Seriously the way UA's skykits work, we could add "complaint running" to our other favorite pastimes of mileage running and bump running! There will be a lot of upset people when this particular gravy train comes to a stop.
I know - I think that it's one of the reasons so many people fly UA is because of their ridiculously absurd compensations. I've heard of compensation for IFE that didn't work, seat recline not working, wobbly armrests, wonky lights - just about anything will earn you a $250 voucher. However, I guess for UA it must work because they have certainly built a fanbase of extremely loyal customers.

Now don't get me wrong - I enjoy flying US, but I do think they could do a little bit more in the way of earning and keeping customer loyalty But as long as they have someone tightening those purse strings at every turn, I think minimalistic is the way US will continue to operate. They are in it for the revenue and not the loyal customer. Just saying.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I beg to differ on this. You are paying for transportation and accommodations, both of which should be fulfilled by the airline. Having anything that's broken is shorting the customer.

If you went to the bank and they told you "We're out of pennies" when cashing a check for say, $238.89, you would be pretty annoyed, not so much for the value of 4 cents but for the fact that they are shorting you.

If nobody complained or were given anything, the airline would be flying around with broken just-about-everything.

I think that compensation IS due.

HTSC

Originally Posted by RICflyer
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by et_phonehome
On a recent nighttime flight from PHX to BOS my overhead lamp didn't work--meaning I couldn't read, and wound up spilling the dinner on myself! I sent US a complaint, and all they said was they were sorry and thank you for my patronage! I sent a response stating that United usually gives some sort of compensation for any problems, and they just said they were sorry, again...How does anyone get credit vouchers from them?
You couldnt see your meal because of a 20 watt lamp? C'mon Man. Maybe you have bigger problems than what US can do for you.

Is it me or is there a trend that a lot of new members to FT come with complaints as their initial postings? In the last 2 weeks I've noticed at least 10 complaints from op's with less than 10-20 posts.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Dec 31, 2010 at 1:43 pm
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
I beg to differ on this. You are paying for transportation and accommodations, both of which should be fulfilled by the airline. Having anything that's broken is shorting the customer.

If you went to the bank and they told you "We're out of pennies" when cashing a check for say, $238.89, you would be pretty annoyed, not so much for the value of 4 cents but for the fact that they are shorting you.

If nobody complained or were given anything, the airline would be flying around with broken just-about-everything.

I think that compensation IS due.

HTSC
I can see your point, but what is the value on the light bulb and OPIE's inability to read and find his mouth during the flight? NO WAY should any consideration exceed a few dollars (10-20 max). OPIE still got 99% of the product he paid for.

Here's an analogy, lets say you buy a bottle of ketchup, and its impossible under reasonable terms to truly empty it out of all its contents, do you send Heinz an email asking for consideration because you couldnt use all the ketchup??
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by miffSC
I know - I think that it's one of the reasons so many people fly UA is because of their ridiculously absurd compensations. I've heard of compensation for IFE that didn't work, seat recline not working, wobbly armrests, wonky lights - just about anything will earn you a $250 voucher. However, I guess for UA it must work because they have certainly built a fanbase of extremely loyal customers.
It's hard not to be loyal when there's a good chance you'll get a $250 voucher on any given flight. It brings your travel costs down dramatically. I've seen folks post about getting more than one SkyKit card on a flight (one for dead reading light, one for wonky chair arm, stuff like that, to the tune of $400-500 on a single flight), compensation that's more than the flight cost ($250 SkyKit on a $150 DCA-ORD fare), and compensation when already paying with vouchers. With a payout like that, I'd be loyal too. And if you look hard enough, you can find something compensation-worthy (at least by UA's standards) on a high percentage of your flights. It'll be interesting to see if folks remain loyal if/when the compensation structure becomes less generous.

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
At some point, though, it stops being "shorting the customer" and starts being "the customer is acting petty." Would you expect compensation for a non-working electric outlet in a hotel room or a rental car with a burned-out taillight/turn signal? The latter is actually a safety issue and I've had rental cars with a dead turn signal more than once, and never ever considered it to be compensation-worthy. Would you expect compensation (free dessert or such) from a restaurant that seated you at a wobbly table?

Originally Posted by 1967cougar
I can see your point, but what is the value on the light bulb and OPIE's inability to read and find his mouth during the flight? NO WAY should any consideration exceed a few dollars (10-20 max). OPIE still got 99% of the product he paid for.
Perhaps OPIE can take the 10-20 dollars and buy a personal reading light. I've got a clip-on one for my Kindle which cost about $12 at amazon.com and not only does it protect me against burned out light bulbs that might prevent me from reading onboard, but it prevents my neighbors from having my lamp bother them while they are trying to sleep.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: US Plat
Originally Posted by 1967cougar
Is it me or is there a trend that a lot of new members to FT come with complaints as their initial postings? In the last 2 weeks I've noticed at least 10 complaints from op's with less than 10-20 posts.
You know, I'm beginning to wonder if flying "through" those storms over New Mexico and Colorado en route to BOS caused the reading light to break.

In all seriousness, I think many of us have experienced broken reading lights, wobbly armrests, damaged seatback pockets, and crooked tray tables. Could you complain about them? I suppose, but I guess I don't really fixate on them anymore. Things break, especially when you're on an aircraft that has flown five to eight segments already over the course of the day. I'm not an expert, but if the aircraft had a quick turn from the flight prior, is it possible that the flight crew would have just written up the issue to be addressed whenever the aircraft RONs at a hub?

Last edited by 757guy; Dec 31, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.