Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Club, did I get suckered?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
US Club, did I get suckered?

Earlier this week I connected through LGA and decided to buy a Club membership after a few years of not being a member. The gentleman at the desk informed me that he was only authorized to sell the membership that includes Continental and United club memberships as part of it. So it came to $425 (I'm a Gold on US).

Does this mean I can access any of CO's or UA's clubs at any time, even if I'm not flying them? Or do I have to have a same-day BP on one of those carriers to gain entry?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:21 am

You do not need to be flying UA or CO to use their club. You must be in possession of your US Airways club membership card to get access. I had no trouble at the Red Carpet Club in ORD even though I wasn't flying UA.

Details about the memberships can be found at:
http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/trav...mberships.html

Having a US Airways Club membership opens you to a world of comfortable travel – one membership gives you access to all US Airways Clubs, Continental’s Presidents Clubs, United’s Red Carpet Clubs and Star Alliance lounges.*
*To visit a Star Alliance lounge, other than Continental's Presidents Clubs and United's Red Carpet Clubs, you’ll need to present a same-day boarding pass for travel on any Star Alliance flight.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
You got a fair shake. These are the new rules now. I have never had any problem gaining entry to the RCC or the PC even when flying on US. Enjoy the access to the other clubs!!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Not sure of your travel habits, and I certainly don't want to induce buyer's remorse, but for $450 you could have gotten an AMEX Platinum charge card that includes US, CO, DL and AA club access. CO access will end at the end of 2011.

Last edited by PHL; Nov 27, 2010 at 10:27 am
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by PHL
Not sure of your travel habits, and I certainly don't want to induce buyer's remorse, but for $450 you could have gotten an AMEX Platinum charge card that includes US, CO, DL and AA club access. CO access will end at the end of 2011.
OT. How many guests can u get in with the AMEX?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: US C.P.
ya done good. There is total reciprocity......no problem. Who knows what the UA/CO club picture will look like when the merger is complete. I would suspect merged clubs, and fewer total clubs. That is what mergers do. As for the AMEX, I can´t prove this, but the club saints that I have seen, seem to jump to work on my problems when there is an AMEX waiting for the same service. I would expect to play second fiddle to the UA people at the RC clubs as well. I think though that the AMEX members are lower on the overall pecking order than all the club members. Just MHO
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: support by truth
Had Delta and US Air for years and dropped for AmEx. I have never had problems nor felt any diff in service (except for asking for IDs) of the clubs
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Using Priority Pass for most of my lounge access for UA (provided by work), I've never felt the service I got was lower than what I would get being a normal RCC member should you decide to go the AMEX route. That being said, if you forsee yourself flying on Co and UA, I think your better off with the US Airways Club card.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
OT. How many guests can u get in with the AMEX?
AX Plat allows 2 guests with no provision for "immediate family" like the club's own membership allows. Additionally, AX Plat requires you to be flying the carrier operating the lounge (e.g. cannot access an AA lounge when flying DL etc). The exception to this policy is US, which allows entry with the AX plat regardless of what carrier the card holder is flying.

That said, AX plat may work very well given your own particular travel patterns (I am heavy in the northeast and rarely fly a carrier who doesn't operate a club at both ends).

Last edited by SFTNYC; Nov 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by PHL
The Problem with AMEX is there is a same day ticket requirement for CO (till 9/11), AA and DL (not US). With most airline club memberships you are able to get gate passes if you are not traveling so long as there is a participating club at that airport. Also US is a Star * Partner which entitles you to access to over 200 Star Gold lounges worldwide so long as you have an onward Star A ticket internationally. AMEX does not get you this access. All in all, your US membership gets you much more IMHO.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Mykle
You do not need to be flying UA or CO to use their club. You must be in possession of your US Airways club membership card to get access. I had no trouble at the Red Carpet Club in ORD even though I wasn't flying UA.

Details about the memberships can be found at:
http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/trav...mberships.html

Having a US Airways Club membership opens you to a world of comfortable travel – one membership gives you access to all US Airways Clubs, Continental’s Presidents Clubs, United’s Red Carpet Clubs and Star Alliance lounges.*
*To visit a Star Alliance lounge, other than Continental's Presidents Clubs and United's Red Carpet Clubs, you’ll need to present a same-day boarding pass for travel on any Star Alliance flight.
If you are not flying United you will not be permitted into the United Red Carpet Club you can enter the Continental Presidents Club...
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
Originally Posted by intheairagain
If you are not flying United you will not be permitted into the United Red Carpet Club you can enter the Continental Presidents Club...
I have gotten into the ORD UA club many times when flying US. As long as I have my valid US Club card they let me right in without ever asking for a UA BP.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by intheairagain
I had no trouble using the UA club in ORD with my US boarding pass and US Club Card.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mykle
I had no trouble using the UA club in ORD with my US boarding pass and US Club Card.
you shouldnt even need your boarding pass.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:27 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Be careful here as I've seen numerous signs at RCC's that say "We're sorry to inform you that the American Express Platinum card does not allow access to the RCC".

HTSC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.