Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? PM aztimm.
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 8:25 am

5/17 PWM-PHL - cleared 3 seats at T-2; only 2 were together so we gave 1 away
5/17 PHL-SAN - upgraded 3 seats with miles
5/21 SAN-PHL - no dice. 1 seat avail at OLCI, but only for a minute or so
5/21 PHL-PWM - split PNR, got 2 seats at T-2. got 3rd seat at OLCI

So far, we're having good luck even as Silvers, but as I've said before - a lot of it has to do with our origin. My wife finished up her Trial Silver requirements on the outbound flight. My almost 1 year old daughter may herself hit Silver with a couple more trips to visit family out west, since we usually get her a seat for those 4+ hour flights.
Old May 22, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Maybe I'm having insane luck but all six of my last six PHL/DCA-PHX and returns have cleared 7 days out. No Mondays are involved, but a few Sunday westbound afternoons, and eastbound redeyes on Wednesdays and Thursdays are.
Old May 22, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Maybe I'm having insane luck but all six of my last six PHL/DCA-PHX and returns have cleared 7 days out. No Mondays are involved, but a few Sunday westbound afternoons, and eastbound redeyes on Wednesdays and Thursdays are.
That's excellent. The last time I did PHL-PHX, I couldn't mileage upgrade at all which led me to believe they either filled the cabin with Chairman at T-7 or had a lot of revenue or expected revenue at T-8.
Old May 22, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
I'm 2/2 for my flights this week FLL-CLT (T-7) and CLT-DEN (T-4).
Old May 23, 2013, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have to say you are flying on the non peak time, sunday westbound, now I wonder what would happen if you tried sunday eastbound?

Excellent
Old May 23, 2013, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
That's excellent. The last time I did PHL-PHX, I couldn't mileage upgrade at all which led me to believe they either filled the cabin with Chairman at T-7 or had a lot of revenue or expected revenue at T-8.
PHL-PHX-PHL is a tough one, I have seen CP (including myself) in Y... US has some markets tied up..
Old May 23, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: US Air Chairman; Hilton Diamond;Marriott Gold; Star Alliance Gold
No upgrade from Omaha to CLT for Chairman

As a Chairman for 4 years, I average a couple missed opportunities for upgrades a year (about 150 flights a year). Compared to other airlines, I am very satisfied with my upgrade success with US. I expect not to get an upgrade on a CLT-PHX flight, nut Omaha to CLT, today, really? 9 1st class seats and not 1 available for a Chairman, ouch!

Oh well, I better get used to it with upcoming merger with AA, and I admit, I have been spoiled.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Got a very surprising upgrade

Soon flying PHL-SFO as a party of 3 (CP,SP,dirt). At T-3, the flight was showing F3. I am a buy-up CP so all BIS CPs outrank me. I figured my chance of upgrade was near zero for all of the obvious reasons. I was shocked to get the thumbs-up email at T-2 but I surely have no complaints!
Old May 23, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I have to say you are flying on the non peak time, sunday westbound, now I wonder what would happen if you tried sunday eastbound?

Excellent
I tend to fly PHX-PHL on Sundays at least a half dozen times per year, and unless I'm in Phoenix and taking the earliest flight of the day, and not connecting from, say, California, I rarely get upgraded until at least T-4.

PHL-PHX on a Monday morning or east on most Thu evenings? Don't worry, I don't have any special luck versus other CPs, other than I'm a relatively high mileage CP which should help with tiebreaks. How frequently that actually helps me, I have no idea.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I tend to fly PHX-PHL on Sundays at least a half dozen times per year, and unless I'm in Phoenix and taking the earliest flight of the day, and not connecting from, say, California, I rarely get upgraded until at least T-4.

PHL-PHX on a Monday morning or east on most Thu evenings? Don't worry, I don't have any special luck versus other CPs, other than I'm a relatively high mileage CP which should help with tiebreaks. How frequently that actually helps me, I have no idea.
Now there was a Silver who posted that they were upgraded CLT-PHX on a wed afternoon flight, as we all know, day of week and time of flight makes the difference. For me, when it comes to where I'm traveling, I'll buy the non-refundable FC ticket, just to make sure I get a FC seat.
Old May 25, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Noticed something curious. Monday I am in "First" from CLT-PHL (1510 I think, maybe 1587) but "Envoy" from PHL-BDA (1424). Except that CLT-PHL is a B767 with real Envoy seats (OK, not the greatest, but still better than domestic F) and 1424 is A319 regular domestic F.

Have to say I'm looking forward to it for a curious reason. We all like to sleep on the big planes. Since my first segment leaves at 5:30AM and this segment leaves at 7:30AM, I like the idea of catching a nap on the way to PHL.
Old May 25, 2013, 8:51 pm

We've seen US systems list domestic first-equivalent service to BDA and the Caribbean, and maybe Canada too, as "Envoy" even though it's not really. Apparently the systems just simplistically list all international non-coach as "Envoy" even if it's just the domestic first product as on 1424/1425. On the PHL-CLT round trips sometimes run by the transatlantic configured 757, 767, A332 and A333s, they are still just listed as domestic first class.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

We've seen US systems list domestic first-equivalent service to BDA and the Caribbean, and maybe Canada too, as "Envoy" even though it's not really. Apparently the systems just simplistically list all international non-coach as "Envoy" even if it's just the domestic first product as on 1424/1425. On the PHL-CLT round trips sometimes run by the transatlantic configured 757, 767, A332 and A333s, they are still just listed as domestic first class.
I think redtop is saying that the aircraft if a international configed plane and that since his flight is at 530am, he can sleep some since it will have better seats in FC.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:34 am

Score. I didn't think it'd happen, but I cleared an upgrade this morning T-1 on DCA-LAS tomorrow evening. Not bad for a silver. I don't think I've sat up front on a 321 yet. No meal service, though, it's just saying "Refreshments." My recent PHL-SAN trip left around the same time (before 9pm) and had dinner, but it was nothing to write home about. I think a meal after 8pm is an exception to the policy anyway, right?
Old May 31, 2013, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Score. I didn't think it'd happen, but I cleared an upgrade this morning T-1 on DCA-LAS tomorrow evening. Not bad for a silver. I don't think I've sat up front on a 321 yet. No meal service, though, it's just saying "Refreshments." My recent PHL-SAN trip left around the same time (before 9pm) and had dinner, but it was nothing to write home about. I think a meal after 8pm is an exception to the policy anyway, right?
There are excepting to the rule, usually when flying east to west. Nothing on the west to east late evening flights. I took this flight a couple of weeks back and a dinner was served. BTW, A321s are nice up front...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.