Removed from US Airways flt last night

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I would love to know the real story
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver status
At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Last edited by cherylsiscon; Sep 18, 2010 at 10:10 am
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: United GS, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
These sorts of threads are so predictable. Some of us will find ways to undermine OP's story and other will get enraged over the escalating wrongs done by the airline industry. Personally, I do no think OP has to prove or explain anything. He already told his story and described his experience. I see no reason to doubt it.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by cherylsiscon
Then perhaps you should have followed his/her advice.

I simply do not believe you are telling the whole story. Doesn't really matter in the end, but the facts as you have presented them simply do not add up in my opinion.

Note: Quote above was edited during this posting and was NOT the OP's original post
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I’m absolutely no defender of US. The only reason I visit this forum is the enjoyment of watching the industry’s longest running train wreck in action…..

With that said, this story does not hold water in many many ways. Just for starters, OP was on the phone with her lawyer….anybody notice the time of these phone calls? Anybody know of an attorney who answers a call at this time of the day? How many of you would get off the plane and the first call would be to a lawyer? And then chose to not follow said lawyers advice. A tad bit too dramatic for me. And this is just one of many issues I have with this little rant.

And the real surprise is how many of you took the bait.
I also long for the old Piedmont.

My husband's an attorney and I can see one of our friends calling him out of desperation and asking for help--even if it's late at night because that's the kind of guy he is.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gardengirl
I also long for the old Piedmont.

My husband's an attorney and I can see one of our friends calling him out of desperation and asking for help--even if it's late at night because that's the kind of guy he is.
The attorney I called is a very close family friend. I do not have an attorney on retainer because I have never had the need for one. But when I heard that I could not fly out until the next day I called him out of desperation to get some advice. Thank goodness I did...by simply making the call it got me on the next flight!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
The attorney I called is a very close family friend. I do not have an attorney on retainer because I have never had the need for one. But when I heard that I could not fly out until the next day I called him out of desperation to get some advice. Thank goodness I did...by simply making the call it got me on the next flight!
And yet you did not take his advice. He suggested that you get a blood test. You choose not to do so. Why?

I've been flying for close to 35 years virtually every week of the year. As much as those here want to blame an FA or "they needed the seat because the flight was oversold" I have NEVER seen a person pulled off a plane that did not do something to deserve it. Many more times the FA should have pulled the person off the plane for any number of reasons such as simply not following the direction of the FA and the pax developing a make me attitude. I am amazed at the attitude of passengers today that simply don't do what is asked because they FEEL they do not have to.

If your story is exactly as told here, you would be the first in a career of flying. I remain unconvinced. It simply does not happen this way.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

And yet you did not take his advice. He suggested that you get a blood test. You choose not to do so. Why?

I've been flying for close to 35 years virtually every week of the year. As much as those here want to blame an FA or "they needed the seat because the flight was oversold" I have NEVER seen a person pulled off a plane that did not do something to deserve it. Many more times the FA should have pulled the person off the plane for any number of reasons such as simply not following the direction of the FA and the pax developing a make me attitude. I am amazed at the attitude of passengers today that simply don't do what is asked because they FEEL they do not have to.

If your story is exactly as told here, you would be the first in a career of flying. I remain unconvinced. It simply does not happen this way.
I would of agreed with you 100 percent before this actually happened to me. I also have been a frequent flyer for over 20 years and never in my wildest dreams would of thought that this could of happened to me. That is one of the reasons why it is so puzzling to me and the ONLY reason I can think of why I was removed was because they needed the seat. I chose not to get a blood alcohol test because I would have to leave the airport and exhausted as I was I wanted to get home. What I did do instead was get testimony from people at the airport on my state of responsiveness. The simple fact that they rebooked me 15 min later in an exit row on the next flight also speaks to the fact that I was responsive. Sometimes FACT is more bizarre than FICTION. I think if I was reading this post before this happened to me I would be inclined to think also that it could not of happened the way it did, which is why I feel motivated to take this to the next level. I would hate for this to happen to anyone else who is tired, exhausted and just wanted to sleep. Obviously Us-airways needs to reevaluate it systems. As I have heard over and over again on this post, the final call is on the pilot. I believe this would of never happened if the pilot had been personally involved and had spoken to me. ONE FA managed to get me deplaned when several others said I was fine to fly. If their is a difference in option than the pilot should have the final word and be required to evaluate the situation. Just my opinion...
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
They asked me if I had been drinking and I responded that I had 2 drinks on the previous flight. The drinks were consumed several hours before even getting into phoenix. I had one before take off and one shortly after than slept the rest of the flt. I requested a test because I felt that they were going to say that I was intoxicated and I wanted proof that I wasn't. I was told that the airport medical could not handle my request and that I would have to go to the hospital if I wanted a blood alcohol test. I was not intoxicated, I was tired which was substantiated by 4 US Airways employees who disagreed with the flight attendants evaluation. I was issued a ticket for the next flt. within 15 min. after being removed from my initial flight. I was also offered an apology from the US Airways agent.
The OP made it clear why she didn't get the blood test back on page 2 of this thread. (above quote)

Hind sight is 20/20 and now she may have insisted on it. I find it hard to believe that in all the airport no security had a breathalyzer tester to accommodate her request. They should have done more to search one out. You would think they would if they really felt they had a case.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I share your skepticism. It doesn't help that the OP first showed up here only 14 days ago.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:30 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt

Hold on a second. Re-read the sections in bold. Your can NOT include in your personal, eye-witnessed experiences with an incident that you did not witness. The OP's incident is simply not in the set that is your "career of flying."

This thread is getting very odd.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
I share your skepticism. It doesn't help that the OP first showed up here only 14 days ago.
Fascinating reasoning. Should we also discount every other post made on FT within 14 days of an OP's registration?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:38 am

Contact USAirways again and make it very clear that your are upset with the last response from them. Make it clear that you never met with the pilot and that other staff on the ground immediately rebooked you into an exit row. Do NOT let up on this. US will often not take responsibility for issues the first time around in the hopes that you will go away.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
The more I read here and the more I think about it the simpler this whole thing becomes. I stand by my assertion in post 68 that this was simply a convenient way to empty a seat on the aircraft without registering an IDB against US or costing US the IDB comp.

Originally Posted by dcpatti
What do you hope to get/gain by going to the DOT?
In the context of it being a possible IDB situation threatening to go to the DoT gets a lot of attention from the airlines.

I simply do not believe you are telling the whole story. Doesn't really matter in the end, but the facts as you have presented them simply do not add up in my opinion.
My thought is that there is a lot that we don't know about the situation, but applying good old Occam's Razor to what we do know still brings me back to my earlier post.

I have NEVER seen a person pulled off a plane that did not do something to deserve it.
I've seen plenty of people pulled off of airplanes that did nothing to deserve it in my decades of flying -- they were IDB'd. Again I simply think that the OP was an easy target for the GAs once they got a tip that they might have a reason (valid or not) to pull her off the plane without IDB'ing her.

That is one of the reasons why it is so puzzling to me and the ONLY reason I can think of why I was removed was because they needed the seat.
Hammer, meet nail.

Of course US is going to stand by the story told by its crew. It benefits the airline and it benefits the crew. In the long run you have very little recourse to do anything about it and US knows it. The moment that they "admit" that something was amiss with your situation they only get themselves into deeper trouble.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
While I'm not an attorney and may be missing some of the subtleties in the Contract of Carriage, it appears to me that IDB compensation is not due when the passenger is removed for appearance of intoxication, and the CoC clearly states that appearance of intoxication is a Reason for which US can refuse to transport any passenger.

I 100% agree with the flight crew wanting to handle this on the ground rather than in the plane. If the FA really believed the OP was too drunk to fly, they can't be expected to sort that out on a crowded plane full of bystanders.

Perhaps the walk to wherever the OP sorted this with the ground crew; perhaps the emotion sharpened her alertness; probably a mix of both. The ground crew assessed her as OK to fly and put her on a layer flight, due to the FA's concerns. Personally I'm ok with this, too; Who knows what kind of fit someone will throw once you kick them off the plane then let them back on?

I don't doubt the OP's story although I'm not sure she is fully aware of how she looked to an observer. I don't think there's been any infraction by US here, as much as the OP was upset. It really sounds like an unpleasant situation that was handled by the book and that no compensation is warranted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.