Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by shell nyc
MSY, promo or no promo, IS East of the Mississippi.

The odd part is that BTR, for the sake of the promo, is considered West.
MSY the airport is east of the mississippi. MSY the city is mostly east of the mississippi, except for the 15th ward (which is on the westbank).
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Well, the good news is that "re-flying" BTR-CLT-DCA-BOS on Sat. got the miles to post this morning, and the status bump to Plat hit this past hour -- within 2 days -- and that means *A Gold for another year, too.

The bad news is, we had IRROPS and a 1 1/2 hr delay, with the conex "out" 6 minutes early, so I got to miss my return conex, and had to pay for a 2nd hotel night on my dime ("Your end station will take care of you" and "We got you here, so it's not our problem.")

The good news is there was an excellent, delicious, cheap Italian neighborhood restaurant by the hotel.

The bad news is that I had to get up at 3:30am to make the return flight and spent Sun. morning burping garlic.

The good news is the Aug US Airways mag has a "Must Read" article on customer service from Emily Yellin's book, "Your Call (Is Not) That Important to Us", pp 46-61.

The bad news is that no one sent one to certain departments that could use the advice and the lessons learned from Comcast. (94% percent of people are annoyed when they talk to voicemail instead of a real person -- Are you listening Customer Relations and DM??)

The good news is that the book is $2.50 on Amazon or cheaper on Half.com (might make a good gift for some folks).

The bad news is that shipping is $3.99.

And Finally...
The good news is that the U.S. Airways Club folks are wonderful, and as usual provide an excellent level of customer service, both in hospitality, and with flight-related assistance. Some A&Bs are going that way.

Last edited by flyzabit; Aug 2, 2010 at 6:13 pm
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
The thread may be too long to read if you haven't been following it. However, it is gerenally agreed on that your status bump is based on your status July 7, with rare exceptions like those who get gifted status after July 7. So delaying making PLAT is unlikely to get you to CP with 4 HSJ points. It will get you from gold to plat at the same time the miles do, making you sad, and making you crzve the 4 more points needed to get to CP.

That assumes you were gold on July 7. If you made gold after July 7, you're triple sad because you'd need 12 points to hit CP. YMMV, others have been lucky, but the terms seem clear that its your status ON July 7 that counts as base. You can always hold out for another race to preferred promo late in the year..
Thatīs what i thought, but if the OP reads back no more than 5 pages, someone posted an email from customer service quite clearly stating that if you mileaged up to platinum after July 7th, you could then h/s/j to cp.
It is really confusing. If I was in that situation, iīd have an email confirming good news to avoid any argument later.
Read back a bit and you will see it
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by itsme110
Thatīs what i thought, but if the OP reads back no more than 5 pages, someone posted an email from customer service quite clearly stating that if you mileaged up to platinum after July 7th, you could then h/s/j to cp.
It is really confusing. If I was in that situation, iīd have an email confirming good news to avoid any argument later.
i checked for you......it was post # 787
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by oopsz
MSY the airport is east of the mississippi. MSY the city is mostly east of the mississippi, except for the 15th ward (which is on the westbank).
And MSY in USAirways promo is west of the Mississippi.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
I think I have my second four sorted. Would appreciate any input on this I have based this on what I am willing to spend to achieve CP from September through Feb 2012.

AGS-MAN (a planned, necessary trip) Hop/Europe = 1
AGS-MLB MLB-PBG-AGS (via CLT-BOS/ hotel in MLB) New Routes =2
CHS-MBJ - Hop/Caribbean = 1
(quite a few low fares from CHS to MLB and MBJ)

Just concerned about the 30 min turnaround in PBG.

So the second two will run me around $600-700. The MAN flight I'm not counting because that's a non-negotiable trip for a wedding and I was going anyway.

Fingers crossed. I think that may take me to CP before October 1st.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Last edited by miffSC; Aug 2, 2010 at 10:45 pm
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:12 am

Programs: UA AA and more
I have a trip planned to TLV
will SFO-PHL-TLV and then taking LX to ZRH and from there ZRH-PHL-SFO count as 4 points? (West, TLV, Europe, East) ?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:33 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
(Nevermind, asked and answered. Teaches me to post this early.)
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:29 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by miffSC
Just concerned about the 30 min turnaround in PBG. Thoughts? Cheers.
PBG is the same plane according to posts earlier in the promo, but please see who has done a PBG.
I know BTR is the same plane and so is MLB I think.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Started our HSJ this moning out of PHL to BOS and now getting ready to board to DCA. Was able to get upgraded on 3/4 possible legs. This is fun!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by IzzyL
Started our HSJ this moning out of PHL to BOS and now getting ready to board to DCA. Was able to get upgraded on 3/4 possible legs. This is fun!
Great hear. My gf and I are doing the same thing in two weeks.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by miffSC

AGS-MAN (a planned, necessary trip) Hop/Europe = 1
AGS-MLB MLB-PBG-AGS (via CLT-BOS/ hotel in MLB) New Routes =2
CHS-MBJ - Hop/Caribbean = 1
(quite a few low fares from CHS to MLB and MBJ)

Just concerned about the 30 min turnaround in PBG.
Thoughts?

Cheers.

I cant remember if you posted your other flights upthread, but its usually pretty inexpensive (or cheaper) to add a shuttle run when you're headed up and down the east coast. So if you could add that on the way from CLT to BOS, you'd obviate the need for the MBJ hop, unless you did the shuttle run already.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
I hate to be "that guy" who posts for help on figuring out good routings for this... But I've been trying different combinations of this promotion coming out of Syracuse (SYR) and have a lot of trouble getting anything for less than like $800-$1000 for 4 hops,skips,jumps.

Anyone have any creative ideas for 4 points out of SYR? Dates/times dont matter that much, and neither does an overnight somewhere.

Thanks,
bkafrick
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Platinum 50+
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I hate to be "that guy" who posts for help on figuring out good routings for this... But I've been trying different combinations of this promotion coming out of Syracuse (SYR) and have a lot of trouble getting anything for less than like $800-$1000 for 4 hops,skips,jumps.

Anyone have any creative ideas for 4 points out of SYR? Dates/times dont matter that much, and neither does an overnight somewhere.

Thanks,
bkafrick
I only spent about 5 minutes on this, but here is one that gets 4 points from SYR for $452 A/I. Includes an overnight in BTR.

9/21: SYR-LGA $49+ [EAST]
9/21: LGA-BOS $98+ [SHUTTLE]
9/21: BOS-BTR (via CLT) $109+ [WEST + NEW ROUTE]
9/22: BTR-SYR (via CLT) $129+

All comfortable connections. There may be a better deal out there, but BTR seems to be the cheapest 4 points out of the east coast, and LGA-BOS is the cheapest shuttle leg, so I think this might be the best you can do according to today's pricing anyway.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by itsme110
Thanks for the info. I had only browse through the posts since most seemed concerned with routing.

I'll have to ponder my options from PHX as to whether it is worth it. Now I see US Airways has a 2X promo (qualified miles) for trips to/from PITT and BOS. A few of those might be cheaper than trying to do 4 pts of hop/skip/jump from PHX since it seems like most of the pts are shuttle runs on the east coast and routes to/from CLT. Plus I'm unable to travel until after my Labor Day trip.

Options, options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.