Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by shell nyc
MSY, promo or no promo, IS East of the Mississippi.

The odd part is that BTR, for the sake of the promo, is considered West.
MSY is specifically listed as West in the FAQ page - while it may be east on the map the promo is very specific about this........from the FAQ page...

"What's the difference between North American regions that count as hops?

We've divided up the U.S. and Canada along the Mississippi River to define east and west.

North America, east includes: Gulfport, MS; Jackson, MS; Memphis, TN; Chicago, IL; Milwaukee, WI; plus the Canadian cities of Halifax, Nova Scotia; Montreal, Quebec; Ottawa, Ontario; and Toronto, Ontario.

North America, west includes: New Orleans, LA; Baton Rouge, LA; Little Rock, AR; St. Louis, MO; Des Moines, IA; plus the Canadian cities of Edmonton, Alberta; Calgary, Alberta; and Vancouver, British Columbia; Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN; and Anchorage, AK."
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by ffI
I know that, but YHZ-YOW is a positioning run

He can do DCA-BOS-PBG-BOS-PHL-YHZ in 1 day That alone is 4 credits.
The new flight to YOW is also a night flight that ends there.
YHZ-YOW-CLT-BTR-CLT-MLB may be possible in 1 day?
The return to DCA can be done on the Mon AM
I can do it all in 2-1/2 days, but am trying to use up only 1 weekend.
I think I will print out all the options for the new routes and then try to get more sense for myself out of it.
YOW is tough -- the flight to YOW gets in at 10:30 or so, and the flight out is before 8am, so tough to position there same day.

YHZ there are more options. Leaving PHL about 9:30, 1:30,8:20 and returns depart 7:40, 1, 5.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Sabre1
If you were Chairman's on July 7th, and earn 4 points with the HSJ promo, your Chairman's status will be extended through Feb 2012 regardless of BIS miles or segments flown in 2010.
What a stupid promotion by US! I am Chairman's with 62,000 EQM, mostly earned from early May to early July during the DEQM promo. I can easily get to around 70-75K but would have pressed hard to get to 100K.

Now it looks like I can actually use miles instead of earn miles the rest of this year if I can get four hops, skips, or jumps.

I'll actually wind up spending less on US the rest of this year as a result of this promo. A bit backwards.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by chrisphx
What a stupid promotion by US! I am Chairman's with 62,000 EQM, mostly earned from early May to early July during the DEQM promo. I can easily get to around 70-75K but would have pressed hard to get to 100K.

Now it looks like I can actually use miles instead of earn miles the rest of this year if I can get four hops, skips, or jumps.

I'll actually wind up spending less on US the rest of this year as a result of this promo. A bit backwards.
Ditto, here. Only at about 50k but my travel is picking up...would have made a trip to Europe to visit some friends to push it over the edge. Now, much more likely to shift that until after the first of the year...and may shift some travel to nonstops on other airlines.

Just booked BOS-DCA-MCO/MLB-CLT-BOS to round out my credits (was already flying BOS-PHX-SFO-PHX-MKE next week).
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:53 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ffI
Or what can I tell someone who wants 8 easy credits?
In my opinion there just are not 8 "easy" credits to be had. Four is easy (East, West, Shuttle, and one new route), getting eight is not easy no matter what. The easiest way would be new routes to new regions, but then you're only picking up two credits for each round-trip on top of the first four "easy" ones, so you need two of those, such as CLT-GIG, CLT-FCO, CLT-PVR, or PHX-MBJ.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: US CP, Hertz Pres Cir, HH Dia, Marriott Gold
Any confirmation that connection counts?

Still finalizing my 1 day 4-point trip; but want to make sure it will count. Has anyone gotten credit for a connection in their itinerary? For example, through USAir website on a 1-way ticket, I can book LGA to BTR with 2 connections (DCA and CLT). I want to make sure the LGA to DCA part counts as a shuttle flight even thought it was booked as LGA to BTR with 2 connections.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott-SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CTflyer51
Still finalizing my 1 day 4-point trip; but want to make sure it will count. Has anyone gotten credit for a connection in their itinerary? For example, through USAir website on a 1-way ticket, I can book LGA to BTR with 2 connections (DCA and CLT). I want to make sure the LGA to DCA part counts as a shuttle flight even thought it was booked as LGA to BTR with 2 connections.
Yes, you can have multiple segmants before or after a segmant netting points on the same itinerary.

We flew LGA-DCA-CLT-BTR on one flight and received the proper credits.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: USAirways CP
Thoughts

Is this a smart way to get up to CP?
Currently I have ~55K miles. I have a Labor Day Weekend trip that will be another ~4.2K (this was scheduled prior to the hop/skip/jump promo so I won't get any credit for that). I'm also closing in on spending the $25K on the US Airways credit card so that will net me another 10K miles.

At that point I'd have ~69K miles. My thought was to then do this promo but just make sure I don't make the last Hop/Skip/Jump until AFTER I get to 75K miles. Then that would bump me from Plat to CP?

Am I missing anything? Because of work/school I don't plan to do any flying until after Labor Day and it looks like this promo ends in October (10th).

Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 1:08 pm

If I recall correctly, there are quite a few in this thread that will be traveling on this upcoming 8/6, 8/7, 8/8 weekend.

I'll be doing ORD-PHX-PVR on 8/6 and PVR-CLT-ORD on 8/8 to get my four "hits" to requalify for CP. Anyone else heading to the same region this weekend via PHX or CLT?

-Kinglobjaw
Old Aug 2, 2010, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by richinaz
Is this a smart way to get up to CP?
Currently I have ~55K miles. I have a Labor Day Weekend trip that will be another ~4.2K (this was scheduled prior to the hop/skip/jump promo so I won't get any credit for that). I'm also closing in on spending the $25K on the US Airways credit card so that will net me another 10K miles.

At that point I'd have ~69K miles. My thought was to then do this promo but just make sure I don't make the last Hop/Skip/Jump until AFTER I get to 75K miles. Then that would bump me from Plat to CP?

Am I missing anything? Because of work/school I don't plan to do any flying until after Labor Day and it looks like this promo ends in October (10th).

Thanks.

The thread may be too long to read if you haven't been following it. However, it is gerenally agreed on that your status bump is based on your status July 7, with rare exceptions like those who get gifted status after July 7. So delaying making PLAT is unlikely to get you to CP with 4 HSJ points. It will get you from gold to plat at the same time the miles do, making you sad, and making you crzve the 4 more points needed to get to CP.

That assumes you were gold on July 7. If you made gold after July 7, you're triple sad because you'd need 12 points to hit CP. YMMV, others have been lucky, but the terms seem clear that its your status ON July 7 that counts as base. You can always hold out for another race to preferred promo late in the year..
Old Aug 2, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
The thread may be too long to read if you haven't been following it. However, it is gerenally agreed on that your status bump is based on your status July 7, with rare exceptions like those who get gifted status after July 7. So delaying making PLAT is unlikely to get you to CP with 4 HSJ points. It will get you from gold to plat at the same time the miles do, making you sad, and making you crzve the 4 more points needed to get to CP.
That said, if you're close and the extra H/S/J isn't too far out of your way (say you need to go to MCO and could fly into MLB instead and drive over), it's worth trying: since we HAVE seen examples of people's post-7/7 status being bumped, it can only hurt the extra $$ to try...
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by jsciv
That said, if you're close and the extra H/S/J isn't too far out of your way (say you need to go to MCO and could fly into MLB instead and drive over), it's worth trying: since we HAVE seen examples of people's post-7/7 status being bumped, it can only hurt the extra $$ to try...
And the status bumps seem to be happening pretty quickly, so if you do a run for 4 points early in the promo, at least you'll know what you're up against with enough time to decide if to push for more points in late september/ealry october.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've completed DCA-LGA-DCA-CLT-BTR-CLT-DCA last Saturday and today my status changed to Chairman

Preferred status Chairman

Preferred qualifying miles 52703 miles and 36 segments

This promo really works Thanks US Airways!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
I've completed DCA-LGA-DCA-CLT-BTR-CLT-DCA last Saturday and today my status changed to Chairman

Preferred status Chairman

Preferred qualifying miles 52703 miles and 36 segments

This promo really works Thanks US Airways!
So if you make CP mid year, do you get TATL upgrade certs for this year or just a set for after Feb 2011?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
So if you make CP mid year, do you get TATL upgrade certs for this year or just a set for after Feb 2011?

Thats what I've been told BTW - where do I go to see my TATL Envoy certs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.