Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading tips

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Upgrading tips

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum! I recently reached Silver status and was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting the upgrade as a Silver, especially for flights out of Boston. I'll be flying to and from LAX and it seems that most of the routes are:

BOS->CLT->LAX
BOS->PHX->LAX
BOS->PHL->LAX

My flight times are generally flexible too, so can anyone give me some tips on how to have the best chances of getting an upgrade on these routes as a silver? Any general upgrade tips are welcome too, thanks!
Old May 28, 2010, 11:12 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Routes won't make a huge difference... But travel days will. I'd go for monday night to wednesday night range.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

thanks, im able to fly at nights so I'll try and schedule my flights for then
Old May 29, 2010, 2:48 am

Programs: US Airways Divident Miles Silver Preferred, Choice Hotels, Hilton Honors, Hyatt Gold Passport
My guess is that PHL-LAX might be a tough upgrade route for a silver, depending on the day of the week. PHX-LAX will probably be a bit easier.
Old May 29, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dt75
Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum! I recently reached Silver status and was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting the upgrade as a Silver, especially for flights out of Boston. I'll be flying to and from LAX and it seems that most of the routes are:

BOS->CLT->LAX
BOS->PHX->LAX
BOS->PHL->LAX

My flight times are generally flexible too, so can anyone give me some tips on how to have the best chances of getting an upgrade on these routes as a silver? Any general upgrade tips are welcome too, thanks!
I too fly out of Boston, I've found over the years that the following help with upgrade chances:

- Best day Saturday
- Best weekdays Tuesday and Wednesday
- Best times mid-day (less business travelers)
- Best routing is through CLT
- BOS to PHL very easy, PHL to LAX hard even for a CP
- Best equipment A321, more F seats

I always check the seat maps before booking to ensure that I'm picking the best flight for upgrade chances.

One big thing to watch for is flights that feed international flights. These flights have a high percentage for paid F.

Also time of year matters. Holidays and vaction times have a lower chance of upgrade.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all your help everyone, looks like ill be routing to LAX through CLT or PHX. HereAndThereSC says that the best times are at night but pbuntrock says mid-day is better. My work is flexible so I can book any time of day, which time of day, in your guys' experience, has a better chance of upgrades on these routes? Also, how would I check which flights feed to international flights? Thanks again!
Old May 29, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Walk casually around the gate area, look at boarding passes, find out who is Chairman's, Plat, and Gold. Then, take out the cholorform (kept in small containers under 3 oz, of course), soak the rag, and carefully, knock them out, one by one, rendering them unable to board. Works like a charm.

But, yeah. Seriously, A321 has 4 extra seats in F, so look for those flights first. My experiences as Silver out of PHL are...tough. I would opt for the BOS-PHX first.
Old May 29, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: US Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I fly a lot out of CLT and BOS and I agree with pbuntrock. Very early morning flights can be pretty good. Very early.
Old May 30, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Walk casually around the gate area, look at boarding passes, find out who is Chairman's, Plat, and Gold. Then, take out the cholorform (kept in small containers under 3 oz, of course), soak the rag, and carefully, knock them out, one by one, rendering them unable to board. Works like a charm.

But, yeah. Seriously, A321 has 4 extra seats in F, so look for those flights first. My experiences as Silver out of PHL are...tough. I would opt for the BOS-PHX first.
Right guys, but the OP should know that it's relative because the A321 has far more seats in coach and thus there is a chance that there will be more elites on these flights.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, United Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
LMAO, I literally laughed so hard reading this. I don't know if it's because pictured this going down in my head or if it just gave me a great idea. Haha thanks for the laugh!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I have always been able to get a GoUpgrade on the 321s PHX-LAX (meaning that in theory, all Preferreds have already cleared), but never on LAX-PHX. My dad flew BOS-PHX two weeks ago on a Wed and he did not clear the auto upgrade as a Silver but I was able to OLCI for him at exactly the 24 hr mark and use the "Complimentary Upgrade" button to get the last F seat on the 319. So it's possible for a Silver, just be diligent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.