Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double bonus for shared miles (Another round: Apr-May 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Double bonus for shared miles (Another round: Apr-May 2010)

Continuing their endless promos selling off miles here is the next

http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/divi...haremiles.html

1 cent per mile
$30 processing fee
50,000 miles maximum per transaction

Again, a great deal. Who needs status when you're flying in F?

Jeff
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Anyone else wondering why US is trying to raise all this cash all at once? I didn't think the balance sheet had been any worse over the last few months than it was a year ago, so why all of a sudden do they need so much liquid cash?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I've been wondering the same thing...but not enough to dim my pleasure at having these repeated opportunities.

I have to say, I'd be a bit miffed if I were another *A carrier though, because let's be fair, we HAVE to be eating up all of their award tix.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Anyone else wondering why US is trying to raise all this cash all at once? I didn't think the balance sheet had been any worse over the last few months than it was a year ago, so why all of a sudden do they need so much liquid cash?
I wonder how many miles US is really selling. The average person is not going crazy buying 50,000 miles all the time.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by neotope
I wonder how many miles US is really selling. The average person is not going crazy buying 50,000 miles all the time.
You have absolutely no clue how crazy people can get. US Airways is making heaps of money with those promotions - why do you think they are still running them?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
You have absolutely no clue how crazy people can get. US Airways is making heaps of money with those promotions - why do you think they are still running them?
Crazy people are the FTers, I doubt the majority of the general public are paying much attention to this deal.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Right. I agree that most middle class families did not spend $1500 per person in Feb/March - or $3000 if they bought and gifted the max. Not to mention the buy/gift/share promo last November/December, and the buy promo last August.

Though I'd bet a fair number may have topped off accounts in lower quantities.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by dcpatti
The first quarter is traditionally a period when airlines burn cash and the Barclay's agreement has the highest monthly cash requirement covenant as far as I know. The covenant's cash requirement is $100 million higher March-November than it is December-February.

At the end of 2009 US has about $300 million more in cash than the covenant required. Merely entering March dropped that to $200 million, less the amount of cash burn. My guess, and that's all it is, is that US squeaked by the cash requirement at the end of February and has to raise cash to make it by the March increase in the cash requirement. Also, while traffic and revenue are improving compared to a year ago, they are still below 2008 - a year when US lost money.

Jim
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Anyone care to share?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Interesting.....25% EXTRA BONUS for preferreds

Congratulations!
As a Preferred member you qualify for an additional 25% Bonus. Your bonus will be awarded automatically and should be reflected below.

Step 3: Review your transfer:

OverpaidSlacker, Account #: XXXXXXX
Please review the details of your Share Miles transaction as shown below. When you're finished, please press 'Continue Purchase' at the bottom of the page. Or, select another amount of miles to re-calculate the cost of your transfer.

Recipient: Mrs. OverpaidSlakcer, Account #: ZZZZZZZ

Number of Miles 50,000 + 62,500 Bonus

If you would like to make your transfer, as shown below, please press 'Continue Purchase'. Or, select another amount from the box above to re-calculate the cost of your transfer.
Cost $500.00 USD
Federal Excise Tax $37.50 USD
Processing Fee $30.00 USD

Total Cost $567.50 USD
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
The 25% bonus for preferreds has been going for a while I believe. Sadly it's my wife's non-status account that I intend to dump into mine with this promo so I won't get the extra 25% as it only works if the sender is preferred. Pity.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Just a quick story on what the "general public" think of these great buy/gift/share offers - I'e told a couple of different friends of mine about it urging them to take advantage of it. While they certainly would have had no issue coughing up the $3000 pp (or whatever) - they did not bother to proceed - it all seemed 'too hard' to be bothered with. These are people who fly a lot (on their own dime) including overseas and are *G or higher members of another *A airline.

As a result I don't mention the deal to other travelling friends lest they think I'm quite crazy.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I have told friends about this deal numerous times now...friends who are flying to Europe over the summer and will be paying well over $1,000 for coach anyways. They seem semi-interested but never act.

A few weeks ago a friend told me she was going to Europe so I mentioned the deal as I knew fares would be quite high. She seemed intrigued but when I followed up she assured me she could get coach to Europe in June for $600 a/i. Riiiight...

I don't bother anymore.

However, I did get two older friends to buy the miles for 2 F tickets to PRG/AMS this summer. They were considering paying for Business Class anyways so F for less was a no brainer!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:00 pm

Add on

I have to add on to this and say that I have tried many times to tell my friends about these deals and all of them think its too good to be true...

First was the 250% deal and I told them I myself proceeded and showed them proof but none is interested. There is one who went as far as reading the FT thread and then msg me "i hope you dont lose your money"

Then the buy miles deal I shared again but they are still not interested. And like others mentioned, these ppple are willing to pay the same for COACH fare and some booking class do not even earn miles!

So the moral of the story is, despite so many ongoing promos, I doubt US is getting alot of pple buying... and like others, I am sure its just the FTers
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: LH, DL/NW, US, HHon, SPG
Originally Posted by pschafer
- I've told a couple of different friends of mine about it urging them to take advantage of it. While they certainly would have had no issue coughing up the $3000 pp (or whatever) - they did not bother to proceed - it all seemed 'too hard' to be bothered with. These are people who fly a lot (on their own dime) including overseas and are *G or higher members of another *A airline.

As a result I don't mention the deal to other travelling friends lest they think I'm quite crazy.
+1^ How true! I couldn't have said it better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.