Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Goes The Extra Mile (& Hilton Doesn't)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
US Airways Goes The Extra Mile (& Hilton Doesn't)

My wife's sister passed away last Friday evening and we needed to travel with no advance notice. The next morning, I started making travel arrangements. It was very challenging with spring break, a NASCAR race this weekend (the sister lived near Bristol), and full flights due to weather cancellations the previous day. Every single flight (for every carrier) from DFW-TRI was sold out on Saturday and Sunday, and the earliest available flight on Monday wouldn't get in early enough. My wife wanted to be there Monday morning so she could help the family with the funeral arrangements.

I spent about an hour on the phone with a wonderful lady at the Chairman's Desk (I'll be sending an A&B certificate), who researched the options and worked her magic to get a seat opened up for Sunday morning. The other three of us were able to get flights out Monday. I didn't have enough miles in my account for all four tickets, so we had to book one out of my wife's account. We scheduled our return for Friday. My wife's flight was totally full, with a huge standby list and they had to take volunteers to go on later flights, but she had a confirmed seat and made it without a hitch.

Once my wife got to town, it turned out that the funeral wasn't going to be until Friday, so we had to change our return date. Since three of the tickets came out of my account, there were no change/redeposit fees. I wish they would have waived the $130 in fees and $150 redeposit fee for the fourth ticket, but I can't complain about $280 (and it sure made my trek to CP worthwhile, saving $840 on these other three tickets!).

US Airways has had quite a few problems over the past year and I've complained quite vocally to them when they have, but when I needed their help with this they really went out of the way for me. That means a lot to me, and will go a long way towards earning back my loyalty.

Hilton (I'm a Diamond), on the other hand, was very unhelpful and unsypathetic. UPDATE: I just posted about those experiences in a thread on the Hilton forum.

Last edited by MichaelColey; Mar 20, 2010 at 3:35 pm
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I am sorry to hear about your wife's sister. Since I live in Bristol (the VA side), I know how limited your options were. As you probably noticed when you arrived, we only have DL Connection, US Express, and Allegiant.

I suggest you also write a nice letter to US about the service you received so that the employee(s) receives commendation in his/her file.

As to Hilton, you might want to write their customer relations about your negative experience.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
...US Airways has had quite a few problems over the past year and I've complained quite vocally to them when they have, but when I needed their help with this they really went out of the way for me. That means a lot to me, and will go a long way towards earning back my loyalty....
My condolences on your loss. Thanks for sharing your story.

Your post reminds me of my long association with US - my DM card says "Member since 1985" (Piedmont days ). Tumultuous changes over the years, with at least one constant - excellent air service from little AVL to a hub airport, for which I'm ever grateful.

We now have various choices from AVL, Express flights to various hubs, e.g. DL to ATL, UA to ORD, AA to DFW - and it's tempting to think about flying a "better" airline regularly. When all's said and done, though, I remember the good times and the many favors granted me over the years by a bunch of fine US folks, and it's easy to say, "Like a pair of nice old shoes, US is good enough for me".

Safe travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.