Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[MASTER THREAD]: Preferred vs. Choice Seats

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: Independent
So I am booked for a PHX to BOS flight. I did not get my upgrade and there is only one empty seat left, so I don't think I am going to get that. In the regular economy and premium seats there are no seats available without someone next to you (but there are a few scattered seats available). However in Choice there are a few empty rows.

Once within the checkin window, are those Choice seats now available for anyone to grab without having to pay the upgrade fee? Anotherwords, if I decide to take a choice seat, is it possible for someone else within 24 hours before the flight to simply switch seats to that row? Or are the only paid upgrades or fly empty?
Old May 8, 2013, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
. . . I'm lost on why you weren't upgraded on all flights sounds like you bought a full fare Y ticket.
- Didn't have preferred status ;
- Didn't put his US DM # on the reservation ;
- Didn't book on US stock ;
- There was no availability.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudship
So I am booked for a PHX to BOS flight. I did not get my upgrade and there is only one empty seat left, so I don't think I am going to get that. In the regular economy and premium seats there are no seats available without someone next to you (but there are a few scattered seats available). However in Choice there are a few empty rows.

Once within the checkin window, are those Choice seats now available for anyone to grab without having to pay the upgrade fee? Anotherwords, if I decide to take a choice seat, is it possible for someone else within 24 hours before the flight to simply switch seats to that row? Or are the only paid upgrades or fly empty?
what lever of DM are you? But you should be able to choose seats at the airport. Get there early as other will do the same thing.
Old May 10, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: Independent
I am Platinum on a trial. If I had a reasonably good chance that would leave a middle seat free I would invest in the upgrade. But if not, I don't think it is worth the extra $60 to sit closer to the door.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Booked DCA-RDU for next weekend on a CRJ-200. When I went to select seats the only options were 3F or 4D and 4F which are Choice Seats at $15 each. I selected nothing and was automatically assigned 3C. I would prefer a window but there's no way I'm paying $15 for a 40 minute flight
Old May 10, 2013, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Booked DCA-RDU for next weekend on a CRJ-200. When I went to select seats the only options were 3F or 4D and 4F which are Choice Seats at $15 each. I selected nothing and was automatically assigned 3C. I would prefer a window but there's no way I'm paying $15 for a 40 minute flight
You can possibly change your seat at the airport if a seat is open, but on a CRJ-200 I'll take an isle any day than a window....
Old May 11, 2013, 10:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
You can possibly change your seat at the airport if a seat is open, but on a CRJ-200 I'll take an isle any day than a window....
I'm going to be cramped and miserable no matter where I am, but at least in the window I can take some fun pictures. At least that's how I see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.