Wiki Posts
Search

"Direct" flight PHX-FRA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
"Direct" flight PHX-FRA

So as not to get anyone’s hopes up, “direct” as in not non-stop. For flight 702 PHX-FRA there is a change of planes in PHL.

Strangely, they are using a 757 for PHX-PHL, although I assume it’s the non-envoy version. And, I was told the pricing is slightly less because the flight is “direct.”

Even the ticket agent found it unusual and called just to make sure the correct flight numbers were displaying.

Last edited by GaryZ; Mar 9, 2010 at 2:37 pm Reason: corrected flt#
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:59 pm

This is one of those things airlines do which I find truly frustrating (marketing a single flight number when a change of planes is involved). TWA used to do this all the time (to the point of absurdity). I remember when working at LAX in the 90's and TWA had one aircraft with 5 different flight numbers (the plane actually flew nonstop to New York, but it was marketed as 'direct' to BOS, DCA, IAD, PHL). Granted, US has only one flight number, so it's slightly different, but I think it's a deceptive business practice which should not be allowed.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
If the fare is truly lower, then it's great for those who aren't as concerned about status and miles as FT'ers. However, I somehow doubt this is the case. And PHX-PHL-FRA versus PHX-FRA is a 387 mile difference, so it's not a huge discrepancy when booked as a direct flight versus non-stop at least.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Well, the fare would be lower in the sense that you would avoid the PFC charge at the "connecting" airport, but we're talking $5 max here.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Exactly when does US720 start? I can't find it anywhere. Do you mean 702 by chance? If so, I still don't see a PHX-PHL 702 segment.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
Well, the fare would be lower in the sense that you would avoid the PFC charge at the "connecting" airport, but we're talking $5 max here.
Yeah, I think it was something like that.

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Exactly when does US720 start? I can't find it anywhere. Do you mean 702 by chance? If so, I still don't see a PHX-PHL 702 segment.
Oops, corrected - thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Airlines do this all the time for "direct" flights. United's "direct" flight #803 from Washinton Dulles to Singapore used to go from IAD-SFO-NRT-SIN with one flight number and three separate aircraft.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by geo1005
Airlines do this all the time for "direct" flights. United's "direct" flight #803 from Washinton Dulles to Singapore used to go from IAD-SFO-NRT-SIN with one flight number and three separate aircraft.
There's a number of US flights that do this going from the West coast to the East (and probably the other way around, except I've never been on one of them). One coming from SNA (if memory serves) to DCA connected in CLT I think... not only different aircraft and different gates, but entirely different terminals. Sucked!

And for some of the routes, the mileage difference is pretty big. There used to be a routing of DCA-CLT-MSP, not sure if it's still out there, but it's about 550 mile difference. On a round trip when you're trying to make status at the end of the year, 1100 miles is a LOT.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by GaryZ
So as not to get anyone’s hopes up, “direct” as in not non-stop.
And never really has been. As you say, a "direct" flight has one flight number with a scheduled intermediate stop. And technically, when talking about TA or tPac flights it's a "change of gage" and not "direct" - a single flight number with a scheduled change of planes at an intermediate stop.

Jim
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:51 pm

Flight 702 departs out of PHL. So if you were going PHX to FRA, you would probably have a stop in PHL to get there or fly to CLT to FRA as another option.

It would be nice to have a non stop out of PHX to Europe.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Jetsetter2Ord
Flight 702 departs out of PHL
In June it starts in PHX...flight 702 PHX-PHL-FRA (at least some days). As I said earlier, it's a change of gage. Likewise for flight 700 currently, operating LAX-FRA through PHL.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Mar 9, 2010 at 10:40 pm
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
I'm just curious if most people think going PHX-PHL-FRA is better than PHX-ORD-FRA on United? I flew the latter on a reward ticket (1st) in Dec 08. There seems to be a number of less than positive stories with flights out of PHL so I'm just curious. It has been years since I've flown to/from PHL and the memories weren't positive (Pittsburgh is another story).

Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by richinaz
I'm just curious if most people think going PHX-PHL-FRA is better than PHX-ORD-FRA on United? I flew the latter on a reward ticket (1st) in Dec 08. There seems to be a number of less than positive stories with flights out of PHL so I'm just curious. It has been years since I've flown to/from PHL and the memories weren't positive (Pittsburgh is another story).

Thanks.
If you are talking F you probably want to go UA with its lie flat seats.
US envoy class is not close
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jan_az
If you are talking F you probably want to go UA with its lie flat seats.
US envoy class is not close
Can't disagree - but I was using CP upgrade certs, so kinda stuck with US. OTOH the new 332 a/c would easily match the UA product, but it's been awhile since I've sampled the overall UA experience (food, service ,etc. ) - altho ORD is not as nasty as PHL, it's never been a place I wanted to connect though!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Anybody thinking about taking this (or any "direct") flight: Do yourself a favor and if the flight is going to require a connection regardless, just book a true connecting flight......especially if you hope to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.