Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Prices Rising Quickly - Why?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:46 am

A little off topic for the specific routes above, but going on topic with the high US prices... for my upcoming trips I am trying to book (5-7 depending) US is very high for the market.

*A flights are literally running more than half off the price of US (better than buy one get one free!). US is more than double *A costs on the same route (even I can get the n/s cheaper on *A or a stop cheaper than the flights with a stop on US). Just really annoying...and thinking of status matching becuase of it...I can cut my costs in the next month or two by more than 50% it becomes tempting!

Sorry to post this, as I myslef usually dont like reading threads like this as there are so many factors and speculations for why such can happen (and let me tell you if I was US basing it on seat maps and inventory that I can view, I would drop the prices drastically or fear not being able to fill Dash 8s while *A partners are fling full 777s for the routes.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CHS has almost always had a pricing "problem." I didn't realize that CHS was subsidizing Airtran, or that their pullout immediately followed the elimination of the subsidy.

Obviously, it's unfair to subsidize Airtran and not other airlines. On the other hand, something is definitely "wrong" with CHS airline pricing. Perhaps everybody should get subsidized for a couple years! I know the city tourist industry would be much better off if people could fly to CHS at prices comparable to other southeastern cities.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: None
I don't know specifically about CHS and AirTran, but most of these "subsidize an airline" deals are done by a business group. About all the airport normally does is possibly subsidize advertising since they are precluded from discriminating on pricing if the airport receives federal funds (and few airports with commercial service don't receive federal funds).

Jim
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by CactusFlier
*A flights are literally running more than half off the price of US (better than buy one get one free!). US is more than double *A costs on the same route (even I can get the n/s cheaper on *A or a stop cheaper than the flights with a stop on US). Just really annoying...and thinking of status matching becuase of it...I can cut my costs in the next month or two by more than 50% it becomes tempting!
Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure why you would be thinking of status matching or even really bothered - the whole point of an alliance is, you can fly on the other guys and still earn miles. For that matter you could have an account with another *A airline and earn on US, too.

Now, if the cheap fares were on a OW or SkyTeam airline when you are mainly a *A flyer - then I can see you being unhappy!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
I also noticed that US fares are pretty far out there, even for months in advance. Case in point, BUF-SAN is about double what CO/UA/AA/DL are charging, for no obvious reason.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: US Gold
Originally Posted by DCtoSC
I recently moved and began commuting between DCA and CHS for work on a weekly basis. I had been purchasing tickets about 3-4 weeks in advance and they had been around $250 a piece. All of a sudden they are $450 for the same relative date and time with a three week advance purchase. I had noticed that the price was going up about 10 each successive week but the most recent one jumped $200. I have checked for future flights and the increase is still there and looks to be permanent. As a small business consultant, this is quite a cost to bear on a regular basis. I was wondering if anyone had any idea why the prices are going up so dramatically and if there are any strategies I should approach to deal with the problem.
Thank you.
Don't know about that pairing, but ISTM that TATL flights are noticeably more expensive than this time last year. It's not so long since you could fly in Feb/March for under £300, and I can barely find flights under £400 right now.

wg
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:34 am

I fly PHL - SAN on a monthly basis, am a US Gold, and I'm starting to get fed up. US fares and flight scheduling from PHL-SAN has become increasingly erratic.

I fly US because I can fly direct, but lately, the direct SAN - PHL red-eye isn't always available. The availability varies from day to day. Sometimes they just cancel it (occasionally after I booked it already!) and I'm forced to choose a flight with stops. If I have to connect, what's the point of paying more for US?

The fares are another story. They went from $179 each way last year to anywhere between $199 and $299. since the new year began. It seems they're at about $249 each way right now, but the prices vary from day to day much more than they used to. Last year, when it was $179 one weekend, it was usually $179 the next weekend and the previous weekend too. I don't know why they've been so erratic lately.

Either way, although I put up with $400 a month roundtrip (seeing that I could fly direct), $500 is starting to push it too much for me, especially if a direct return flight isn't available. I can fly CO roundtrip, get miles, and pay less than half of the US fare. Not to mention that the CO product is remarkably better than US: cleaner, newer, plenty of food and snacks, and IFE. If I have to connect anyway, why would I choose US?

US needs to get their fares and schedules way more stable, or I'll just switch to CO altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.