Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone fly first/envoy to Aruba or Caribbean?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, United Gold IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond
Anyone fly first/envoy to Aruba or Caribbean?

Just upgrade using miles from CLT to AUA in April. The seat map says Envoy but the confirmation says first class. Is this route Envoy or First? Anyone fly recently? I guess all I really want is the nice Envoy seat with the personal tv and be able to recline with the Envoy seat. The booking map does show that the cabin has 11 seats. Any feedback is appreciated
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
First Class to the Caribbean is basically the same at domestic US FC (regarding service).

If you end up on a Envoy configured 757 you will get a nice Envoy seat with regular (that is to say non-Envoy) service.

Regarding the IFE, I am not sure they show movies or turn on the personal screens for those flights. Can anyone else comment???
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: US CP; Marriott G
I am flying Envoy to CUN on Feb 10th. It’s really just an Envoy seat with traditional F service. You don't even get videos. Last time I flew it, they did give me an extra piece of cheesecake though…
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: US CP, HH DIA, IC AMB
in First

Just got back from the Turks and Caicos almost a three hour flight, and we got the snack basket, that's it.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Do any U.S. carriers make a big deal about Caribbean travel in terms of premium cabins? Isn't it basically treated as domestic travel? Like flying to Canada?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Well yeah, just like domestic... It's 4hr or over for a meal.

HTSC
Originally Posted by mikey110890
Just got back from the Turks and Caicos almost a three hour flight, and we got the snack basket, that's it.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP;SPG Gold; Priority Club Spire Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by laclac01
I am flying Envoy to CUN on Feb 10th. It’s really just an Envoy seat with traditional F service. You don't even get videos. Last time I flew it, they did give me an extra piece of cheesecake though…
At least you got the Envoy seats!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I just did PHL-CUN, it had the Envoy seats without the IFE. It was long enough to get a meal, although the CUN-CLT return was just the snack basket and standard first seats. Checkin at CUN was a nightmare on Sunday -- the snafus on Saturday had the airport jammed and the elite checkin line took 90 minutes to get to the front. It had fewer pax, but only two agents, so it moved at about the same pace as the regular line. I think I beat the guy who entered the regular line at the same time as me by maybe 5 minutes. Customs and immigration at CLT was a breeze, as usual.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 12:12 pm

I fly PHL/SJU frequently and there is a meal in FC, but no IFE. US has several flights a day on this route, and the two morning flights are only about an hour apart, so you have to look at which plane you are flying to make sure you're getting the 330 or the 767 with the good Envoy seats. Sometimes, especially in non-peak season, they'll use a 320 or maybe 757. The San Juan airport is also a total zoo on Sundays and boarding is a cattle call. People throng the gate with no regard to zone # and the agents don't care.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:30 pm

To the poster who was on the PLS flight, you were most likely flying to CLT, I presume? The closer Caribbean destinations don't offer meals out of CLT. They do however offer them from PHL due to the length of the flight. Flights to destinations like UVF/ANU/AUA/BGI/SJO offer meals from CLT and PHL. SJU is an exception. Meal service from both PHL and CLT.

-Kinglobjaw
Old Feb 8, 2010, 4:23 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Just booked 2 FC tix PHL-AUA in April. Flight down is a 757 ETOPS. Back is only a 320 (unless we routed through CLT on a 757 to 767, but that wasn't worth it to me for the added time).

One other plus is that the 757 (ETOPS) and 767 first class seating have standard 110v power ports, so you can plug in your laptop with no adaptors.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
New service in First?

Has anyone flown First Class to the Caribbean, since the new service in First was put in force? Wife and I are traveling PHL-AUA round-trip the first week of May, looking for any reports.

Also, the 757's list that movies are shown--anything to that?

Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: US Silver, Total Rewards Diamond
Originally Posted by NJTraveler
Has anyone flown First Class to the Caribbean, since the new service in First was put in force? Wife and I are traveling PHL-AUA round-trip the first week of May, looking for any reports.

Also, the 757's list that movies are shown--anything to that?

Thanks.
I am flying first CLT to AUA on a 757 on Saturday. It will be nice to have the envoy seats but I expect service to be the same as a transcon. From the past, there are no movies on these flights. I will try and give a report when I return.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, Starwood Platinum
SJU-PHL - Awful Food

My wife and I flew back from SJU a few months ago and were upgraded. We appreciated the bigger seats, but the food was totally awful.

It was a hard baguette-like roll with a few thin slices of highly processed turkey and some mayo. Nothing else. It was inedible.

Fortunately, we had some almonds with us.

Make no mistake: Carribbean first looks a lot more like domestic first than international Envoy.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Thanks All!!!

Planning a trip to SJU now. Eyeing the connections that will put me on the 767 too. Most likely will be connecting via CLT outbound and PHL inbound...

Looking forward to Dom F serv in new envoy but labeled F!! RIGHT!!
And SJU as a zoo when it comes to boarding on Sunday? Oh joy! may have to think about extending the return by a day... At the moment, we will be returning with the rest of the cruise ship folks on Sunday... LOL

Great way to end a hopefully relaxing vacation...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.