Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
If it's all on one ticket, most significant carrier rule will apply (unless you start in the US). What is the routing?
Although it doesn't seem relevant to this specific question, I'm curious to know what's different if you start in the US.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by gumbotime
Although it doesn't seem relevant to this specific question, I'm curious to know what's different if you start in the US.
The US DOT regulations takes precedence over IATA 302. As a consequence the marketing carrier's baggage rules apply and you get the same baggage allowance though out you journey.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by louie-m
LHR (LH bus) FRA (LH bus) SIN (stop)
SIN (TG bus) BKK (TG first) SYD (dest)
SYD (TG first) BKK (TG bus) CPH (SAS bus) LHR
You will get the TG F allowance I think...

You can try going to Saudia's website, plugging in the ticket number to "Manage my bookings" and see if the ticket was issued with a specific baggage allowance.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Folks,

Is this an allowed itinerary? DFW-IAH-PEK-HKG-BKK-SGN (DEST) then BKK-ICN-ORD-DFW

It’s not too many stops right? Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Folks,

Is this an allowed itinerary? DFW-IAH-PEK-HKG-BKK-SGN (DEST) then BKK-ICN-ORD-DFW

It’s not too many stops right? Thanks!
It should be ok! Some agents like 4+4 segments - but there plenty of reports that domestic connections 'don't count' in that total.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:26 am

Here's another data point for you guys:

Tried to book SYD-SIN-NGO-GUM which exceeds MPM+25, went to the rates desk, came back fine...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Guys,

if I need to cancel an award booking, I understand I will have to pay a 150usd redeposit fee. Of the 111 usd I paid in fees when booking, how much will I recover?

thanks!

You don't. You just get your miles back.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:00 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by silentnonrev
You don't. You just get your miles back.
Taxes are refunded. Non-refundable fees (such as award processing fees and quick ticketing fees) are not.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:04 am

Hi all, I have this USAir award routing on hold:

MCI-ORD-YUL-ZRH stop
ZRH-IST-NRT-SHA-PEK destination
PEK-ICN-SFO-ORD-MCI

Should this not price at 90K RT in business, as destination is Northern Asia? Have called multiple times trying to ticket, but always gets priced at 100K due to Euro stop.

Should I pull the trigger at 100K or keep trying for the 90K?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kctrojan
Hi all, I have this USAir award routing on hold:

MCI-ORD-YUL-ZRH stop
ZRH-IST-NRT-SHA-PEK destination
PEK-ICN-SFO-ORD-MCI

Should this not price at 90K RT in business, as destination is Northern Asia? Have called multiple times trying to ticket, but always gets priced at 100K due to Euro stop.

Should I pull the trigger at 100K or keep trying for the 90K?

Thanks for your help.
It can go either way - some agents will and some won't charge you the higher price for a stop in a higher zone. However...ff an agent has already annotated the booking determining it is 100K you may have little luck getting that changed (short of cancelling the whole thing and starting again - and even then you might have the same issue).

Given you have 11 segments (instead of the 'usual' 8 or so) I would say just bite the bullet and pay the extra 10K.

Congrats on your first post!!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Here's another data point for you guys:

Tried to book SYD-SIN-NGO-GUM which exceeds MPM+25, went to the rates desk, came back fine...
Thats a pretty good booking , is that 30,000 miles in C ?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ianp
Thats a pretty good booking , is that 30,000 miles in C ?
yes.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:40 am
bxs

Hi guys,

I have an award booking confirmed and booked and it all looks good. However there are some anomalies so just wanted to get some opinions whether or not I have something to worry about.

Routing is BKK-CDG-IST, IST-FRA-ICN-NGO-SIN-BKK.

I checked the booking on sq website and noticed that the NGO-SIN-BKK section is missing. Called sq and was told that the segment got cancelled due to ticket not issued. Managed to get US to reissue the ticket and it is showing on sq website.

When I checked on LH website it shows 2 different ticket numbers to my booking. And these numbers are different to the one on US website. Is there anything to worry about? Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bxs
Hi guys,

I have an award booking confirmed and booked and it all looks good. However there are some anomalies so just wanted to get some opinions whether or not I have something to worry about.

Routing is BKK-CDG-IST, IST-FRA-ICN-NGO-SIN-BKK.

I checked the booking on sq website and noticed that the NGO-SIN-BKK section is missing. Called sq and was told that the segment got cancelled due to ticket not issued. Managed to get US to reissue the ticket and it is showing on sq website.

When I checked on LH website it shows 2 different ticket numbers to my booking. And these numbers are different to the one on US website. Is there anything to worry about? Thanks.
You can never be too cautious. I'd call every airline on your itinerary and ask them whether everything is alright with the ticket.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I wanted to get an award ticket from Seattle to Australia with a stopover in NRT. However the agent told that stopovers in Asia are not allowed on South Pacific routes. Is my only option to get a direct flight from North America to Australia or New Zeland on AC/UA/NZ? Any advice on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.