Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Theoretically, up until flight time for your first flight. I don't think I would push it by watching people board the flight and calling US on the cell phone, though...
The latest I've done is 3 hours before an international departure due to someone in the party having food poisoning and definitely unable to get on an 8 hour flight to Europe. We had not yet checked in, though.
Old May 27, 2012, 8:54 am

Question about Europe to Japan travel & also airline recommendation

Hey all,

I'm thinking of flying to Japan from London Heathrow. This looks to be 80k miles for business and I think that's good value considering Virgin want $1200 for an economy ticket.

I'm looking for

Out: LHR > NRT (Tokyo) > KIX (Osaka)
Back: NRT (Tokyo) > LHR

Some questions:

Q: If my destination is Osaka can I get them to fly me to Tokyo and then onwards to Osaka for the first leg? It seems from Europe no star alliance partner flies direct to Osaka unless you are going via the US (which I don't want to!). So i want to get to Osaka via Tokyo....also i can't seem to find a star alliance partner that does this jump, thought i'm sure ANA must...

Q: Which aircraft/carrier offers the best business. I have a lot of choice for the long leg:

Lufthansa Airbus A380-800
ANA Nippon Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
Swiss airlines Airbus A340-300

Care to make any recommendations?

Thanks
Old May 27, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
OK, gang. Looking for opinions here. I'm booking a June trip to HKG from PHL and, of course, I'm trying to draw out the travel part as much as possible (lots of segments) and make it fun. I'd love to flight in F as much as possible, but with OZ in a black-out period, the best F itinerary I can find right now is this:

PHL-SFO (US) F
SFO-PVG (UA) F, 747
PVG-SIN (SQ) C (7-hour overnight layover at SIN, perhaps the coolest airport in the world)
SIN-BKK (TG or SQ) C (8-hour layover in BKK, perfect to enjoy the full TG F ground experience)
BKK-HKG (TG) F

Yes, I know it's 5 segments and that sometimes gets denied, but that can often work out.

The C option is similar, with one less segment (no reason to transit through BKK if not in F):

PHL-SFO (US) F
SFO-PVG (UA) C, 747 upper deck
PVG-SIN (SQ) C (8-hour overnight layover at SIN, perhaps the coolest airport in the world)
SIN-HKG (SQ) C

I haven't done much research on the return yet. But assuming I can work in another F layover in BKK on the return (perhaps routing the return through Europe on TG F), what do you think about spending 120K miles on the above F itinerary rather than spend 90K miles on the above C itinerary? Again, I have NO problem flying lots of segments/miles -- as long it's in a comfortable C or F cabin!

Last edited by tommyleo; May 27, 2012 at 10:32 am
Old May 27, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Originally Posted by tommyleo
OK, gang. Looking for opinions here. I'm booking a June trip to HKG from PHL and, of course, I'm trying to draw out the travel part as much as possible (lots of segments) and make it fun. I'd love to flight in F as much as possible, but with OZ in a black-out period, the best F itinerary I can find right now is this:

PHL-SFO (US) F
SFO-PVG (UA) F, 747
PVG-SIN (SQ) C (7-hour overnight layover at SIN, perhaps the coolest airport in the world)
SIN-BKK (TG or SQ) C (8-hour layover in BKK, perfect to enjoy the full TG F ground experience)
BKK-HKG (TG) F

Yes, I know it's 5 segments and that sometimes gets denied, but that can often work out.

The C option is similar, with one less segment (no reason to transit through BKK if not in F):

PHL-SFO (US) F
PVG-SIN (SQ) C (8-hour overnight layover at SIN, perhaps the coolest airport in the world)
SIN-HKG (SQ) C

I haven't done much research on the return yet. But assuming I can work in another F layover in BKK on the return (perhaps routing the return through Europe on TG F), what do you think about spending 120K miles on the above F itinerary rather than spend 90K miles on the above C itinerary? Again, I have NO problem flying lots of segments/miles -- as long it's in a comfortable C or F cabin!
The SIN overnight is extraneous - lots of 1 connection options Shanghai to Hong Kong through BKK and others. Not sure why they would allow this but you might get an agent that is nice, misinformed, or doesn't care.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

PHL-SFO (US) F
SFO-PVG (UA) F, 747
BKK-HKG (TG) F

PHL-SFO (US) F
SIN-HKG (SQ) C

It looks like you're spending 30K miles for a somewhat better seat on UA F and a TG F lounge visit.

I have a proposal: try CA F. They're flying their shiny new 77Ws on LAX-PEK and from the looks of them it's the same kit as TG's 77Ws. CA has a so-so reputation, but I saw recent reports that they are trying harder, and you did say you wanted interesting stopovers...
Old May 27, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
The SIN overnight is extraneous - lots of 1 connection options Shanghai to Hong Kong through BKK and others. Not sure why they would allow this but you might get an agent that is nice, misinformed, or doesn't care.
"Extraneous" is the whole point. Or else I'd just fly to HKG direct from EWR.

Also, I couldn't find any other simpler routing (such as through NRT or TPE instead of through PVG) that would connect me into BKK with one less segment. So I added the SIN leg to get me back to BKK.

My gf and I flew a ten-segment routing over the most recent winter holidays. (Actually, it was eleven segments, but the TPE stop was not officially listed on a TG ICN-TPE-BKK "direct flight" segment!)

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It looks like you're spending 30K miles for a somewhat better seat on UA F and a TG F lounge visit.

I have a proposal: try CA F. They're flying their shiny new 77Ws on LAX-PEK and from the looks of them it's the same kit as TG's 77Ws. CA has a so-so reputation, but I saw recent reports that they are trying harder, and you did say you wanted interesting stopovers...

I agree that there likely isn't too much added value in UA F over UA C. I've flown UA C in the upper deck of the three times and loved it. I've heard that UA F i just slightly bigger seat with the same mediocre FA's and food.

As for TG F, it's not just a "lounge visit", but the whole TG F ground experience: from the pickup at the gate of my arriving flight, to the fantastic F lounge service and food, to the TG F spa. I experienced it all twice on my last trip to HKG two years ago and wouldn't mind a reminder...

I checked out your suggested LAX-PEK routing on CA F, but the ANA tool shows "- - -" for all cabins. Perhaps the dates are blacked out for award travel (similarly to OZ). Thanks for the idea. I'll keep that in my back pocket for next time.
Old May 27, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

PHL-SFO (US) F
SFO-PVG (UA) F, 747
BKK-HKG (TG) F

PHL-SFO (US) F
SIN-HKG (SQ) C

give it a shot and see if they allow it!

I'm thinking you may have difficulty as LAX-HKG is not going to show a valid routing via PVG-SIN-BKK, but as always YMMV

let us know!
Old May 27, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tonyc997
Hey all,

I'm thinking of flying to Japan from London Heathrow. This looks to be 80k miles for business and I think that's good value considering Virgin want $1200 for an economy ticket.

I'm looking for

Some questions:

Q: If my destination is Osaka can I get them to fly me to Tokyo and then onwards to Osaka for the first leg? It seems from Europe no star alliance partner flies direct to Osaka unless you are going via the US (which I don't want to!). So i want to get to Osaka via Tokyo....also i can't seem to find a star alliance partner that does this jump, thought i'm sure ANA must...

Q: Which aircraft/carrier offers the best business. I have a lot of choice for the long leg:

Thanks
Welcome to FT, Tonyc997.

The only *A flight from Tokyo to Osaka is from Haneda Airport, so you'd have to fly ANA HND-KIX. If you don't want to have to do a ground transfer between Narita and HND, you'll have to fly into HND, which ANA does from Frankfurt on the 787, which has had good reviews for business class.

On the way back, you have more options from NRT, with LH/Swiss/ANA giving a lot of options to Europe. Note that you cannot have a stopover on this itinerary because you have an open-jaw between KIX and Tokyo.

Lastly, I would rank the business classes you are looking at as
1) Swiss (I recently flew F on the A340 and the Business class looked great, especially if you can get a solo seat on the left or right side)
2) ANA 787 (lie-flat and direct aisle access)
3) LH A380 (which isn't lie-flat).

Hope that answers your questions.
Old May 27, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
"Extraneous" is the whole point. Or else I'd just fly to HKG direct from EWR.

Also, I couldn't find any other simpler routing (such as through NRT or TPE instead of through PVG) that would connect me into BKK with one less segment. So I added the SIN leg to get me back to BKK.

My gf and I flew a ten-segment routing over the most recent winter holidays. (Actually, it was eleven segments, but the TPE stop was not officially listed on a TG ICN-TPE-BKK "direct flight" segment!)

I agree that there likely isn't too much added value in UA F over UA C. I've flown UA C in the upper deck of the three times and loved it. I've heard that UA F i just slightly bigger seat with the same mediocre FA's and food.

As for TG F, it's not just a "lounge visit", but the whole TG F ground experience: from the pickup at the gate of my arriving flight, to the fantastic F lounge service and food, to the TG F spa. I experienced it all twice on my last trip to HKG two years ago and wouldn't mind a reminder...

I checked out your suggested LAX-PEK routing on CA F, but the ANA tool shows "- - -" for all cabins. Perhaps the dates are blacked out for award travel (similarly to OZ). Thanks for the idea. I'll keep that in my back pocket for next time.
Hi tommyleo, first of all, seeing your pics in your sig of the BKK F lounge inspired me to make a trip via there, and I definitely agree that the F experience on TG ex-BKK is great enough to warrant connecting out of the way. Though they are running 77Ws (and soon A380s) to Europe which will have suites, so you can consider that for the return. They are way better than their other F products. As of now, only BKK-NRT has a 77W but it's a pretty short morning departure flight compared to the noon-time BKK-FRA or other options.

I'd give the 5 segments a shot, and would suggest SQ from SIN-BKK in J rather than TG, since you're likely to have a better experience on them on the short hop, imo.

There are a couple of TRs for CA F and it looks like a fantastic hard product and a so-so soft product. Thought that's still better than UA's offering in F on the 747. If you do go C, I really hope it's the upper deck because the 2-4-2 on the lower deck looks downright awful.
Old May 27, 2012, 6:47 pm

A quick question. The millage required from HKG -> BKK -> LHR should be 100k or 120k (F)?

Many thanks
Old May 27, 2012, 7:39 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by amolkold
Originally Posted by Tonyc997
Hey all,

I'm looking for

Some questions:

Thanks
The only *A flight from Tokyo to Osaka is from Haneda Airport, so you'd have to fly ANA HND-KIX. If you don't want to have to do a ground transfer between Narita and HND, you'll have to fly into HND, which ANA does from Frankfurt on the 787, which has had good reviews for business class.
ANA has two daily flights from NRT to ITM (primary domestic airport in Osaka). Most ANA flights from HND also fly to ITM.

In addition LH has direct daily flights from FRA to KIX.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ny512
A quick question. The millage required from HKG -> BKK -> LHR should be 100k or 120k (F)?

Many thanks
you might actually get away with 80 and 100. Stopovers outside the region are generally priced at the lower rate.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Fees when changing tickets few days before departure

I am planning to book a ticket soon to secure some good flights but I'd rather have a more direct routing using LH/LX if availability appears later. Since usually C/F seats are released a few days before the flight, what are the total fees I would need to pay?

I understand there is a 50 USD ticketing fee then 150 USD change fee. Would I need to pay the 75 USD quick ticketing fee in case the change happens within 21 days from departure? Of course, I know no change is allowed once travel has started.

My starting point is fixed (HKG) and my arrival point would be WAS but I might change it to NYC or BOS. In case there are less taxes in the new itinerary, will I get the difference refunded? in case there are more taxes to collect due to the new routing, do they charge the difference or just charge a new set of taxes without refunding the ones already paid?

-- Edit --

Just made up my mind and called. No quick ticketing fees for changes before departure, even if within 21 days before new departure time, just the 150 USD change fee. I forgot to ask about the tax adjustment but it will be a minor one if any I guess.

Last edited by ranskis; May 28, 2012 at 8:02 am
Old May 28, 2012, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Welcome to FT, Tonyc997.

On the way back, you have more options from NRT, with LH/Swiss/ANA giving a lot of options to Europe. Note that you cannot have a stopover on this itinerary because you have an open-jaw between KIX and Tokyo.

Lastly, I would rank the business classes you are looking at as
1) Swiss (I recently flew F on the A340 and the Business class looked great, especially if you can get a solo seat on the left or right side)
2) ANA 787 (lie-flat and direct aisle access)
3) LH A380 (which isn't lie-flat).

Hope that answers your questions.
Thanks very much for the info. I have opted to just get the train to Osaka and keep the flights in and out of Tokyo.

I chose Swiss business and got one of the secluded seats on the right (4k, so right behind first also!).

On the way back I had less choice and had to go for Lufthansa on the A380!

Thanks
Tony
Old May 28, 2012, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
ANA has two daily flights from NRT to ITM (primary domestic airport in Osaka). Most ANA flights from HND also fly to ITM.

In addition LH has direct daily flights from FRA to KIX.
Damn! I couldn't seem to find a Europe flight that went direct to KIX! Now i do a search and it shows up first time!!

Oh well, booked to Tokyo now, will just get the train to Osaka, i'm going to have a rail pass anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.