Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:48 pm

how would i know what class is it when booking a ticket ?

also if i buy a ticket there is not guarantee that i will be upgraded ?

is it better to fly US if i want to upgrade or it doesn't really matter ?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Chairman's, Star Alliance Gold, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nosferatu2xlc
how would i know what class is it when booking a ticket ?

also if i buy a ticket there is not guarantee that i will be upgraded ?

is it better to fly US if i want to upgrade or it doesn't really matter ?
not really worth the effort (if you have enough miles to fly using miles) as miles "for cash and miles option" have much lesser value in the end compared to using miles to fly...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:00 pm

here is my post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...king-help.html

i need to fly from tpa or srq to krk
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
here is my post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...king-help.html

i need to fly from tpa or srq to krk
Any economy fare that will allow you to upgrade to business is going to be very expensive.

A business Star Alliance award US <> EUR is 100k. I would suggest then that you first call up US and see if they can get you seats - if they can, buy the 35k you need to top up to 100k. Unfortunately there is no promo running so that will cost you $1034. Then you'll have to add taxes.

You could hold out for a 100% promo, in which case that $1034 will be more like $530.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:17 pm

i want to do a upgrade from couch to business and it shows its 30K miles for upgrade
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
i want to do a upgrade from couch to business and it shows its 30K miles for upgrade
And you'd have to pay for a B or Y fare - B being the cheaper option is $3000+ (LH May 2012).

Buying the miles is definitely the cheaper option.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Hi, gang. I haven't posted here much since the winter, but I have been reading posts sprinkled around this forum that booking *A awards with US miles has become much more difficult in general. The complaints seems to be about less availability and distance limits. In reality, to what degree have things changed, if at all?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Hi, gang. I haven't posted here much since the winter, but I have been reading posts sprinkled around this forum that booking *A awards with US miles has become much more difficult in general. The complaints seems to be about less availability and distance limits. In reality, to what degree have things changed, if at all?
The vast majority of LH F TATL flights are unavailable. Other LH F flights to Asia seem unaffected. No problem booking LH Biz flights. No certainty whether the blocking is being done by US or LH.

LX: people report seeing 2 F seats on ANA. But only one seen by US.

UA: does not seem to be affected. All UA F and Biz seats on ANA are seen by US.

SQ: US can book SYD-SIN, FRA-JFK in Biz and these are not seen on ANA.

Bottom line: blocking (or IT system malfunction as some would call it) is limited to a few LH/LX flights only. My gut says its US forcing customers towards cheaper options, including its own flights.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Im having this problem too. I can find availability through CO/AC/ANA in FC for 2x pax on about 6 different routings. US says zero availability. No one there seems to know why. Really, really, frustrating.

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
The vast majority of LH F TATL flights are unavailable. Other LH F flights to Asia seem unaffected. No problem booking LH Biz flights. No certainty whether the blocking is being done by US or LH.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:16 pm

CGK-SIN

Got a situation with US air and LH. I was confirmed on 8/26 from CGK-SIN in C (have a onward booking SIN-BOM on SQ which is cofirmed). LH says system shows no booking. Called US they said some error, US spoke to LH and for whatever reason LH did not receive the ticket and there is no confirmation. LH has told US they have sent to situation to their inventory department and come back with a reply on 8/5.

Asked US agent what are the solutions. They said if LH does not give a seat then they will re route or deposit miles back. Problem is the agent checked current availability and no mileage seats available in Y, C or F. On the LH site there is no availability in C it is completely sold out.

Only option available is to take SQ in F from CGK-SIN and then in C from SIN-BOM. Problem is they will need to release the existing booking and no guarantee that i will get the SIN-BOM sector again.

Any suggestions what is the workaround this???

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by rocket69
Only option available is to take SQ in F from CGK-SIN and then in C from SIN-BOM. Problem is they will need to release the existing booking and no guarantee that i will get the SIN-BOM sector again.
Looks to be US's fault. They should rebook you involuntarily without any fees! They can do everything in the existing booking. Just canx the leg CGK-SIN and book another flight of SQ in this PNR...

It's the same procedure if they receive any schedule change that cuts minimum transfer times or any canx by a *A carrier. If so they will also not canx the whole booking and try to get the released seats again, they only change the affected leg...
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Looks to be US's fault. They should rebook you involuntarily without any fees! They can do everything in the existing booking. Just canx the leg CGK-SIN and book another flight of SQ in this PNR...

It's the same procedure if they receive any schedule change that cuts minimum transfer times or any canx by a *A carrier. If so they will also not canx the whole booking and try to get the released seats again, they only change the affected leg...
Yes surely Us's fault as had this ticketed in May. The problem is nothing else is available on the same day in C and only CGK-SIN availble in F. Does not make sense to pay the extra 10k miles for a 1 hour flight. Can i force them not to charge me the extra mileage as it is not my fault.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by rocket69
Can i force them not to charge me the extra mileage as it is not my fault.
Sure, i would try that!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You're welcome. Hopefully it will save you the pain and suffering.

My first couple of times, the US agents insisted that everything was confirmed, but OZ couldn't see a particular segment. So the US agents went through the process of completely reissuing the tickets (which, as you're probably experiencing, is a big deal for some agents).

After bouncing back and forth between US and OZ one OZ agent told me that, in reality, they did not have a ticket number for the itinerary anyway, that those always come later from US, so she suggested I wait a day or two and see if it straightens itself out.

It did. And it has on the occasions since. Let us know if it works out for you tomorrow. Good luck.
So then, I now have record locators for all airlines/segments as well as seat assignments - I am now going to call every airline again to ensure they have the ticket number in their record locator. I would like to think that if I have all 3 confirmed (record locator, ticket number in record locator, and seat assignment), then I'm in good shape. Any other gotchas I should be aware of?

Thanks again to AZ Travels the World and others for their encouragement during what is quite a painful process.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ghostboy
So then, I now have record locators for all airlines/segments as well as seat assignments - I am now going to call every airline again to ensure they have the ticket number in their record locator. I would like to think that if I have all 3 confirmed (record locator, ticket number in record locator, and seat assignment), then I'm in good shape. Any other gotchas I should be aware of?

Thanks again to AZ Travels the World and others for their encouragement during what is quite a painful process.
I'm glad it all finally seems to be in place for you.

Did the OZ missing segment issue resolve on its own after a day or two? Or did it require further intervention by a US agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.