Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, shepherd.

Yes, you can book a one-way ticket on SQ using US miles (if SQ has released award seats to be booked by other *A frequent flyer programs for the flight(s) you are looking at).

However, it is not a very good use of miles, since with US a one-way ticket costs the same amount of miles as a return ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is the max # of segments still 8 and does US insist on stopovers only if you are flying into a star hub using that hub's carrier?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by goliath
Welcome to FT, shepherd.

Yes, you can book a one-way ticket on SQ using US miles (if SQ has released award seats to be booked by other *A frequent flyer programs for the flight(s) you are looking at).

However, it is not a very good use of miles, since with US a one-way ticket costs the same amount of miles as a return ticket.
Thanks goliath. FT is, by far, the best forum I have ever joined heh.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by david-alexis
I stopped following the threads for a few weeks just wanted a summary johnny!
All the info is in this thread, and in recent posts too. By not reading them first you are just contributing to the immense size of this thread.

Rule #1: This is US; if you don't like what an agent tells you, call back.

Rule #2: Read the last few pages to get up to speed before posting a question.

Last edited by johnep1; Mar 9, 2011 at 9:03 am
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by shepherd
I'm looking to book a 1 way award ticket on SQ using US miles. Since SQ does allow for 1 way award redemption and is part of *a, is it possible?
If you do have UA mileage plus miles, book the SQ oneway ticket with UA miles, there oneway tickets are possible on *A airlines, and you don't have to spend miles for a unused return like with US DM.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by johnep1
All the info is in this thread, and in recent posts too. By not reading them first you are just contributing to the immense size of this thread.

Rule #1: This is US; if you don't like what an agent tells you, call back.

Rule #2: Read the last few pages to get up to speed before posting a question.
aggressive too! You just posted twice for nothing telling me what I wanted to know would have been better for the sake of the thread.
Anyway just read the last few pages and nothing seems to have really change, the OP said he got lucky that is it...
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: US Platinum, KL FB Gold, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, IC Amb.
SQ C/F using US Airways

Hi,

Has anyone ever landed F/C seats using dividend miles on SQ? Going south asia from europe and would like to try SQ via SIN.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Is the SQ A380 business seat now available with DM miles? I was offered this yesterday on an itinerary between Singapore and Japan (did not take it since the return was not available on my required date.)

Any other reported successes of the A380 business seat? FWIW, after hanging up, I checked ANA but it did not show this being available, even though US offered it to me...
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Is the SQ A380 business seat now available with DM miles? I was offered this yesterday on an itinerary between Singapore and Japan (did not take it since the return was not available on my required date.)

Any other reported successes of the A380 business seat? FWIW, after hanging up, I checked ANA but it did not show this being available, even though US offered it to me...
What dates were the seats available?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
SQ 12
SIN-NRT
3 different dates in mid August.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
SQ 12
SIN-NRT
3 different dates in mid August.

SQ 11/12 are currently operated by 747's which you have been able to book in J and F using partner miles. Starting at the end of this month, SQ is switching to the A380, which will be blocked in F/J.

Even though the A380 is already loaded into the schedule, perhaps there is some lingering availability or there is a glitch with the transition.

Were you able to repeat this with another CSR? Are you sure they were seeing "I" space?

Last edited by Surgee; Mar 10, 2011 at 10:14 am
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
This has happened a few times in the past when SQ changed from older planes to the A380 or 77W on a route - saver awards continued to be available for a few months. Seems SQ does not update their award seat algorithms or some such thing right away - they then close the loophole but honor any seats already booked.

In any case in the past 18 months - I have found that SQ are hardly releasing any C/F seats even on 747s on long haul routes - in the past these have been 'plentiful'. Award seats are readily available to SQ/KF members however; even on the 380 and 77W if you are willing to pay double the points (ie standard awards).
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
LX 293 NBO-ZRH is not found by US CS at all, the flight as such!!
Leaving 0020 am.

Its not that they dont find availability, or the right date - with the issue with leaving a bit past midnight- but they dont see the flight at all. They see LX 292 ZRH-NBO though.

Ideas? No help in manually requesting or longselling seats on a flight they dont see.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by travelkid
LX 293 NBO-ZRH is not found by US CS at all, the flight as such!!
Leaving 0020 am.

Ideas?
Get them to check the flight on the day /before/. The system considers flights that leave just after midnight to still be belonging to the day before. As NBO-ZRH is not a daily flight, that could explain it.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by fets_be
Get them to check the flight on the day /before/. The system considers flights that leave just after midnight to still be belonging to the day before. As NBO-ZRH is not a daily flight, that could explain it.
They checked days before and after. Same score.

Later agent claimed there was a rescheduling going on. Maybe thats why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.