Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by mrredskin
confirmed and ticketed.

tys-ord
ord-yyz
yyz-waw
waw-mxp (destination)

mxp-fra
fra-cdg (stop)

cdg-ord
ord-tys

all in business except 1st and last leg. no issues at all. i just didn't calculate the distance
is that still the same origin (hometown). if so it should have been fine the first time!

anyways - good that it is now ticketed.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Just spending a few minutes doing the same searches to HKG and AKL on AA (and their partners and US) that I spent an hour trying to do for US and * partners for over an hour yesterday on the ANA site......instantly a TON of availability of business/ first awards for what was blacked out months on end on *. I know the price is higher (in my case 110K to 130K) but cheap is worthless if there are no flights.
Can you clarify? Air Rarotonga posted a link to the updates on the US site. I don't see any details there about transferring miles across accounts. But my interpretation of your post is that you're trying to use AA miles to redeem on AA partners. Is that correct?

Also, when you say the availability had been blacked out via *, which carriers is AA partners with that also had flights available via *?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
it's one of those YMMV and HUACA scenarios.
I'd propose slightly different guidance.

If someone knows they're breaking the rules, and they've already made multiple calls (including at least one when the airline is overwhelmed dealing with severe weather issues), then they really need to HUASC calling before they wreck things for others.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
is that still the same origin (hometown). if so it should have been fine the first time!

anyways - good that it is now ticketed.
yup it's the same. I assume it wasn't originally valid due to Milan acting as the stopover and not being a US gateway. I'd rather spend the 20+ hour connection in BRU but what little I've read on Warsaw seems fine. And I get to try a 787. And a Blue Jays game in Toronto
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I'd propose slightly different guidance.

If someone knows they're breaking the rules, and they've already made multiple calls (including at least one when the airline is overwhelmed dealing with severe weather issues), then they really need to HUASC calling before they wreck things for others.
well, with my new itinerary I'm not breaking the rules. maybe if agents 1 thru 6 would have known how to explain the invalid issue it would have been ticketed on the 2nd call. It's also not my fault that they don't allow this booking online. I'm off the phones, now; you can breathe more easily
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, with my new itinerary I'm not breaking the rules. maybe if agents 1 thru 6 would have known how to explain the invalid issue it would have been ticketed on the 2nd call. It's also not my fault that they don't allow this booking online. I'm off the phones, now; you can breathe more easily
I'm scratching my head - i cant see the difference between your original and final itinerary?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
I'm scratching my head - i cant see the difference between your original and final itinerary?
I think he mentioned that Milan was his stopover and CDG as destination (1st itinerary). Now it's Milan as dest and CDG as stopover. Still, CDG is not a Star Alliance hub so it could have been HUACA that helped him
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
I think he mentioned that Milan was his stopover and CDG as destination (1st itinerary). Now it's Milan as dest and CDG as stopover. Still, CDG is not a Star Alliance hub so it could have been HUACA that helped him
the passenger doesn't get to decide that.

And now that USDM is happy - it is essentially the same itinerary.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:35 am

no, I thought I had mentioned it earlier stating that my return was longer by 500 miles when I was routing TYS-IAD-BRU-MXP instead of TYS-ORD-YYZ-WAW-MXP. By doing the later, that turned into the longer series which moved MXP to my destination, thus making the CDG stopover legal.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
correct, but CDG is served directly by US so it is valid.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no, I thought I had mentioned it earlier stating that my return was longer by 500 miles when I was routing TYS-IAD-BRU-MXP instead of TYS-ORD-YYZ-WAW-MXP. By doing the later, that turned into the longer series which moved MXP to my destination, thus making the CDG stopover legal.
I didn't think that made a difference! the intermediate stops are not generally included in the total. the calculation is purely origin-MXP as a raw distance. and for the return purely CDG-home.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:46 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I'm sure minus all the notes made in the prior itinerary....

FDW
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
I didn't think that made a difference! the intermediate stops are not generally included in the total. the calculation is purely origin-MXP as a raw distance. and for the return purely CDG-home.
I agree with LHR/MEL/Europe FF.
The final itin looks very much legal.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Never heard of anyone getting away with it
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga

You qustion also ranks in the top ten in this thread... Just two weeks ago it was asked last time... And the answer is very short: NO. Explanation you'll find a few pages back...
As an update to this, I did manage to change the return date and flights after the outbound free of charge. It was though I think due in part to a bit of confusion on the agents side. As mentioned previously, I had already changed the ticket before it was flown after a schedule change. The agent saw the two changes (the initial schedule change and then the change on my end) and I think assumed I wanted the longer layover that was now a shorter layover. He questioned the date change, but in the end put it through.

So while, based on the above responses this is not a normal outcome, it can be done.

Happy New Year!

fw
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:43 am

oh, i see. i was assuming it included all routing to get there. that would make sense in this case. if it's simply like you suggested, then "oh well" and i'll enjoy WAW instead of BRU for a 20 hour connection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.