Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by tlott
Code:
ATLSEL-YY 01AUG13

TICKETED POINT SURCHARGES APPLY.
    GI      M        5M       10M       15M       20M       25M

MPM AT  12722     13358     13994     14630     15266     15902
MPM PA   8558      8985      9413      9841     10269     10697
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ATL-SEA-TPE-SGN-ICN

Your route is 11835 miles. (Pacific MPM is 8558 or 10697 if its MPM+25). If MPM is really hanging it up with every agent, maybe you could route via the Atlantic on the outbound?

Also, FYI, if you are flying in business - EVA's business seats on the 747 are older than the 777. I think both the 747 and 777 serve SEA.
thanks, that's' a useful link!

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
You cannot define by yourself where you want to have the destination of your ticket (thought: if that would be possible, you'd better chose SEA as desination = cheaper!). The destination of the ticket is always the furtherst point of your routing. Also a stopover in SGN is not possible, as no *A hub.

Your routing is legal, if the desination is SGN (south asia zone) with a stopover at ICN (*A hub) on your return. This way, you also don't exceed the MPM!
thank you! =)
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
You cannot define by yourself where you want to have the destination of your ticket (thought: if that would be possible, you'd better chose SEA as desination = cheaper!). The destination of the ticket is always the furtherst point of your routing. Also a stopover in SGN is not possible, as no *A hub.

Your routing is legal, if the desination is SGN (south asia zone) with a stopover at ICN (*A hub) on your return. This way, you also don't exceed the MPM!
The stopover can either be at ICN or TPE - both are *A hubs
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
The stopover can either be at ICN or TPE - both are *A hubs
Could also be in ORD... but only SGN and ICN have been mentionned by OP...
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Availability not synced with other star carriers?

Looking to book JFK-FRA-ACC-JNB for a trip in J. See all segments available on United, Aeroplan, Expertflyer, etc. Called DM desk to confirm routing is valid.

Foolishly went and bought the 100k miles I needed given the promo. Now called to book and being told that none of these flights are available in their system.

Should I HUACA? Seems like if the flight isn't available, it's not available and calling back won't really help. Any other thoughts or experience with this?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by LGAflyer
Looking to book JFK-FRA-ACC-JNB for a trip in J. See all segments available on United, Aeroplan, Expertflyer, etc. Called DM desk to confirm routing is valid.

Foolishly went and bought the 100k miles I needed given the promo. Now called to book and being told that none of these flights are available in their system.

Should I HUACA? Seems like if the flight isn't available, it's not available and calling back won't really help. Any other thoughts or experience with this?
Segments to/from FRA on LH? Seems that has been a culprit/unbookable by US as of late....

FDW
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You know you can hold bookings for up to 3 days and use that time to buy the miles you need, right?

Rule of thumb: hold booking first, THEN buy miles. Not the other way around.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Segments to/from FRA on LH? Seems that has been a culprit/unbookable by US as of late....

FDW
yup JFK-FRA on LH. All flights.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You know you can hold bookings for up to 3 days and use that time to buy the miles you need, right?
I didn't know that, but I do realize that now.

I did HUACA and a much better agent confirmed that all flights were available except the JFK-FRA. So instead booked a flight to FRA on AC. Not ideal, but still a great deal since J to JNB will cost less than $2500 vs $5000 if you just go and buy directly.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I didn't know that, but I do realize that now.

I did HUACA and a much better agent confirmed that all flights were available except the JFK-FRA. So instead booked a flight to FRA on AC. Not ideal, but still a great deal since J to JNB will cost less than $2500 vs $5000 if you just go and buy directly.
Seems pretty good to me- LH old C is pretty "meh", AC J doesn't strike me as much of a downgrade at all- if anything an upgrade, as long as the IFE isn't on the fritz.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL, CX
just booked and ticketed for 2 ICN-FRA-ARN on Lufthansa Business
CPH-MUC-ICN on LH C. for the upcoming summer vacation in Scandinavia Aug/SPT.
took advantage of buyimles bonus offer this time.
CPH-MUC will be Augsburg Airways on EMB195.
My first time to fly EMB 195.
Extremely happy to fly C for the price, especially during summer peak travel season.
took only one call this time at USDM.

Last edited by deltaflyinglawyer; Aug 2, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL, CX
Originally Posted by deltaflyinglawyer
just booked and ticketed for 2 ICN-FRA-ARN on Lufthansa Business
CPH-MUC-ICN on LH C. for the upcoming summer vacation in Scandinavia Aug/SPT.
took advantage of buyimles bonus offer this time.
CPH-MUC will be Augsburg Airways on EMB195.
My first time to fly EMB 195.
Extremely happy to fly C for the price, especially during summer peak travel season.
took only one phone call this time which is a rare thing at USDM
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:21 am

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Thumbs up

Thanx for this explanation... So it's not the fault of FRA airport

And LH should be able to check trough baggage, even if a segment is on waiting list. Every bag will be scanned before loading it to the aircraft belly, the status of the pax will be checked. If not confirmed, bag will stay on ground. But good possible that LH check-in staff, or from the ground handling company, were poorly trained in such cases... Anyway you made it!
Thanks! Despite the short delay we had an absolutely wonderful vacation - loved LH's new 748 - even in coach we were quite comfortable.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:58 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Alright I want to get everyone's opinion:

Looking to book a trip to BKK/NRT for a friend of mine. Not a flyertalker...... I've tried a couple of times to get it priced at the North Asia price level and it's been no dice so I'm abandoning that approach.. but here are my two options... in February

IAD-CPH-CDG-BKK (SK/TG)
BKK-NRT (TG)
NRT-IAD (NH)

vs

BWI-LAX-TPE-BKK (UA/BR/TG)
BKK-NRT (TG)
NRT-ORD-BWI (NH/UA)

He lives in Baltimore, so BWI is more covenient. However option 2 on the outbound is about 4-5 hours more travel.. connecting in Europe in February does worry me a little.. LAX is always a zoo to connect in...and he's not a really experienced traveler

Any thoughts/input?

Thanks
FDW
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Seems pretty good to me- LH old C is pretty "meh", AC J doesn't strike me as much of a downgrade at all- if anything an upgrade, as long as the IFE isn't on the fritz.
AC J is worlds better than old LH J. I think you made the right decision
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I have a question on reissuing awards.

Currently holding a LH J ticket, and I wanted to change to a CA J ticket. All flights are future departures. The agent said that all changes involving all non US-Airways cannot be changed, and must be cancelled first, which means my return sector on award will be cancelled as well. Is she right, or should I call back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.