Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: Velocity Gold

Yep description above is exactly how it should work and did work! No surprises at all which is good!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
The only thing I can think of is on the day of departure ask the airport to reissue your ticket on to the new flights as an involuntary reroute, such as they would do with a weather delay. However, a lot of times the airport might call the internal help desk about this, because its a more complex ticket, and the internal help desk will tell them to follow the rules exactly. Especially if they are trying to do the invol reroute when there is no IRROPS issue with your original flights.
They could write a paper FIM for your new desired flights, but this is rare and not commonly done. Back in the good old days any agent had access to paper FIM's but now I think they may have restricted access at US and other airlines to supervisors.

So in conclusion its not impossible to get the change done at the airport, but I would say its not very likely someone will want to stick their neck way out and do it, and again its not just all US flights we're talking about. If it was all US operated flights I could see them agreeing to do it more e.g. just book you in Y, and just adjust the e-ticket. There may also be concerns without a FIM how AC will accept the change on the ticket not booked in the proper booking code.

Finally I would hope for some bad weather and maybe that would get you an in to INVOL IRROPS booking procedures, and you could ask for the AC flight you want.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:29 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Award Flight Changes

Hi, I'm thinking of booking a flight to "Northern Asia" via Europe ideally in first class (for 120k Dividend Miles). If one leg only has business class available and then a first class seat opens up after I book it will I be able to change into the first class seat if I've already paid the 120k miles? Or will I have to pay a change fee or something similar?

Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: free agent
I can't seem to find the answer to this here.

What I want to do is book award tix such that I can fly PHL-LHR, stay for a week, then do EXT/SOU/BRS-AMS, stay for another week, then AMS-PHL.

At a push, I guess I could do PHL-LHR (1 week)-AMS (1 week) -PHL

What's the best way to book this? Is it possible to book it as a stopover with AMS being the destination? Or go with the open jaw PHL-LHR-//-AMS-PHL on US, and arrange the middle flight separately on one of the cheap UK carriers?

Any ideas welcome. Thx.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The rules are quite simple, it's either one open- jaw or one stopover.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Still no joy in USAIR or thai paying for forced 27 hr layover in ZRH because they cancelled a flight.
who do I talk to about that?
I have emailed absolutely every office and called usair and thai I can and they are all saying bad luck you pay.
do we just pay for the hotel then send account to thai or when they get to Zurich call the office then?
would insurance pay for the hotel if schedule changed and thai refused to re accommodate?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by RTW1
The rules are quite simple, it's either one open- jaw or one stopover.
I understand that. I guess my question is:

"Is PHL-LHR (1 week)-AMS (1 week) -PHL a valid stopover routing?"

Is it valid to stopover in LHR on the way to AMS (as a final destination)?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The operational airline is responsible to provide a duty of care... So that's who you call and send the bill to. Or did the reschedule before flying?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Not really since LHR is not a *A partner hub and there will be no direct flight to AMS. You can always try and call though....you could get lucky.

Or fly to BRU and take the train to AMS.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:25 pm

Sorry I posted this in a new thread when it should have went here...

Hi, I'm thinking of booking a flight to "Northern Asia" via Europe ideally in first class (for 120k Dividend Miles). If one leg only has business class available and then a first class seat opens up after I book it will I be able to change into the first class seat if I've already paid the 120k miles? Or will I have to pay a change fee or something similar?

Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Daily question in this thread...

Rebooking fee of USD 150.- applies.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Daily question in this thread...

Rebooking fee of USD 150.- applies.
Got it... Will they have to release the award space and rebook (risking losing the seats) or can they just upgrade?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:06 pm

Does anyone know if US considers EWR and JFK co-terminals? Just had 2 agents tell me they are not co-terminals, but I have booked connections between these two airports with USDM twice in the past with no issue.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by tlott
Does anyone know if US considers EWR and JFK co-terminals? Just had 2 agents tell me they are not co-terminals, but I have booked connections between these two airports with USDM twice in the past with no issue.
Yes they do consider them co-terminals. HUACA!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I have been told by multiple agents that JFK and LGA are NOT co-terminals, both on the phone and at the airport. I am not sure about JFK and EWR though.

Originally Posted by flashware
Yes they do consider them co-terminals. HUACA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.