Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bertheike
I wanted to book an F Award FRA-HKG-MUC.
Availability is given on LH's own source and ANA tool and AMADEUS in "O" class.
I called 2 times and both agents told me no seats available in first, only eco and Business was offered.
Are LH F awards not open for DM members ?
Dates?
LH has 2 levels of availability, one for M+M members and the other for *A.
My guess is that you saw the former and assumed the latter was available.
If it's more than 2 weeks out, I think I am right.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If you look at the USDM partner award chart.... there is a statement they exclude LH F (which was impossible to book even before they included this statement).
Old May 26, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Read Footnote # 1) on the *A Award Chart...
Old May 26, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Read Footnote # 1) on the *A Award Chart...
thank's for the hint.
to bad, I only bought miles for to use them on that.
and of course, i knew O class only Comes available within 14 days from departure ( it was 6-9 June ) and them available on ANA.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Buy Lifemiles instead :-).
Old May 26, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Only if they don't devalue anymore and when they have a sale :P
Old May 26, 2013, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
thank's for the hint.
to bad, I only bought miles for to use them on that.
and of course, i knew O class only Comes available within 14 days from departure ( it was 6-9 June ) and them available on ANA.
You can book your trip on OZ, which you can get in F with USDM. OZ flies FRA-ICN, and there are many options for ICN-HKG
Old May 26, 2013, 10:36 am

Thank you to everyone who chimed in to answer my question. I spoke to Air Canada a few weeks ago and got seats, spoke to Turkish Air at the same time who told me it is too soon to get seats, and have an email from Aegean who I could not call (couldn't find a US #) saying how to get seats and recognizing it was all booked on US Airways. So I think I am set, but as it gets closer to my August 20 departure I will check again. Thanks again for helping this relative newbie find her way with a complex itinerary (four week trip including an open jaw, a stopover and 4 carriers, none of which are US Airways). Thanks again.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by burlax
You can book your trip on OZ, which you can get in F with USDM. OZ flies FRA-ICN, and there are many options for ICN-HKG
bevore going OZ via ICN I would go via BKK on TG
Old May 26, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
but LM much more expensive !

Special offer DM 100k are 1780 USD good for BHX-FRA-BKK-HKG-BKK-FRA-BHX
LM asks 195k for F class to HKG from Europe ( and I don't know how to trick it ). 195 * 15,23 ( that's the new min. Price with LM ) = 2970 USD taxes/ fees should be the same. And with LM one even can not Combine Business and first, so BHX-FRA would go extra.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:50 am
Suspended

bevore going OZ via ICN I would go via BKK on TG
If flying F, TG with long layover in BKK is even better
Old May 26, 2013, 11:04 am

Thinking about this a little more, and calendaring what I need to do to "babysit" my reservations, I have another question.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
One of the easiest ways to ensure this doesn't happen to you is to ask, at the time of reserving your seats: 'do you have a ticket number against this booking?'. The agent will confirm. It is safest to do this with all airlines...
So would an airline give you seats and NOT have "a ticket number against this booking?"

Thanks again!
Old May 26, 2013, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA44
. . . So would an airline give you seats and NOT have "a ticket number against this booking?" . .
Use your e-ticket number when you call the partners or go to their websites. If they find your itinerary ( all segments that are supposed to be there ), then you have nothing to worry about. The easiest way is to ask each partner to email you a copy of the itinerary as reflected on their system.
Old May 26, 2013, 11:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

but LM much more expensive.
Not really... With USDM there is no price for LH F :-).
Old May 26, 2013, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by burlax
Use your e-ticket number when you call the partners or go to their websites. If they find your itinerary ( all segments that are supposed to be there ), then you have nothing to worry about. The easiest way is to ask each partner to email you a copy of the itinerary as reflected on their system.
Great advice. Will do. Thanks so much for indulging so many beginner questions.

Are there airlines you all try to avoid because they tend to mess up/be difficult with award bookings from US Airways?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.