Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Diamond, SPG Plat / Life Gold
Should I be worried?

I just finished up booking for my honeymoon but when I look up the conf codes on the different airlines a flight is missing from each. It is a different flight in each and the us airways site shows all the flights confirmed.

IAD>MUC (stop)>BKK>SIN>MLE (dest)>SIN>BKK>ZRH>MUC>IAD

Availability was not great so had to add the extra short ZRH>MUC or have wasted 10pm to noon layovers twice on way back. Overall 120k + 190 tax + 50 fee each.

The LH & SQ conf code does not include the MUC>BKK leg and the TG one doesnt have the MLE>SIN leg. Thoughts?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:29 am

Call each operating airline to confirm. Easiest option.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by whitie8lax
I just finished up booking for my honeymoon but when I look up the conf codes on the different airlines a flight is missing from each. It is a different flight in each and the us airways site shows all the flights confirmed.

Availability was not great so had to add the extra short ZRH>MUC or have wasted 10pm to noon layovers twice on way back. Overall 120k + 190 tax + 50 fee each.

The LH & SQ conf code does not include the MUC>BKK leg and the TG one doesnt have the MLE>SIN leg. Thoughts?
Happens with most airlines. Call and confirm.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by whitie8lax

That is normal and expected. For multi-airline flights, other than the ticketing airline, each airline will only have ONE flight before their own flight (the one you are connecting from) and after (the one you are connecting to), but no record of the other flights (as those do not matter to them, only the connecting incoming and outgoing ones, do).

That is normal and will be so with any and pratically every airline in any alliance (or no alliance).

As long as each airline has their own flights, and the previous and next other airline flight, you are fine and all is in order. Now if they don't have the other airline immediately connecting flight(s), however, then you should contact them and ask them to check into that.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:10 am

EU compensation

Guys, I have a question regarding compensation for involuntary downgrade according to EU rules. I know there are several posts on FT covering this issue. Nevertheless the information provided is conflicting and still unclear to me. I am certain one of you wise men can enlighten me about this.

Preface: I have a USDM Award ticket in F from BKK to MUC and back. I've spent 110'000 Miles for the ticket.

Scenario 1: My flight to MUC is overbooked in F and I am downgraded to C.
I understand that I would be entitled to 75% of the one-way fare. My question is: if travelling on an award ticket, how much are 75% of the one-way fare? Is that 75% of half of my 110000 USDM I've spent? Or is it a compensation in cash, in this case 75% of the full fare (one-way)?

Scenario 2: My flight to MUC is overbooked in F and I am rebooked to the same flight next day (F class).
How about this case? Same rules apply as in Scenario 1?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The rules are different for delays and downgrades, so 1 and 2 are not the same.

The compensation for delay is dependent on miles flown and the delay in hours. Class of booking is not relevant.... The max compensation is €600 per passenger. And the regular duty of care like hotels and meals.

The compensation for downgrades is more a case by case basis. And it's more the operating airline that determines what the fare difference is. Compensation will be monetary, rules are a bit unclear. But the compensation should not be in miles.

US DM normally doesn't care if one of your legs is downgraded....
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by RealHJ
That is normal and expected. For multi-airline flights, other than the ticketing airline, each airline will only have ONE flight before their own flight (the one you are connecting from) and after (the one you are connecting to), but no record of the other flights (as those do not matter to them, only the connecting incoming and outgoing ones, do).
almost

each airline will have all connecting sectors as applicable - not just the one flight before and after.

they need to have all connecting sectors so they know (a) where you are coming from/going to and (b) so that they know how far to through check your bags on check-in.

it may be just one flight before and after, or it may be 2 or 3 depending on how many flights you have that day.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gabribkk
Guys, I have a question regarding compensation for involuntary downgrade according to EU rules. I know there are several posts on FT covering this issue. Nevertheless the information provided is conflicting and still unclear to me. I am certain one of you wise men can enlighten me about this.

Preface: I have a USDM Award ticket in F from BKK to MUC and back. I've spent 110'000 Miles for the ticket.

Scenario 1: My flight to MUC is overbooked in F and I am downgraded to C.
I understand that I would be entitled to 75% of the one-way fare. My question is: if travelling on an award ticket, how much are 75% of the one-way fare? Is that 75% of half of my 110000 USDM I've spent? Or is it a compensation in cash, in this case 75% of the full fare (one-way)?

Scenario 2: My flight to MUC is overbooked in F and I am rebooked to the same flight next day (F class).
How about this case? Same rules apply as in Scenario 1?
your flight will not be overbooked in F period - so it's pretty much a moot point.

But... if you were going to get compensation for a downgrade it would be 75% of the one way fare as applicable to that airline. Just a random check of Thai MUC-BKK one way for a date in July returned a fare of Euro2635 You'd get 75% of that for a downgrade.

In any event they would more than likely re-route you in F via another city (even on LH F) than make you wait till the next day.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
correct - the answer was based on having standard award availabilty across both airlines (ie low/saver)
That being said.. Do you feel it may be better option to book one ways? Flight patterns would be better and save me about 37,500 miles overall.. (Costing 17,500 outbound / 30k return).

Or, just bite the bullet and fork out the 55k each RT on US?

Thanks for the continued direction
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by d20513
That being said.. Do you feel it may be better option to book one ways? Flight patterns would be better and save me about 37,500 miles overall.. (Costing 17,500 outbound / 30k return).

Or, just bite the bullet and fork out the 55k each RT on US?

Thanks for the continued direction
US does not offer one way awards at half cost. A one way award costs the same as a round trip. You also cannot mix and match US-only and *A award types on a round trip.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry... delete, wrong info
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
almost

each airline will have all connecting sectors as applicable - not just the one flight before and after.

they need to have all connecting sectors so they know (a) where you are coming from/going to and (b) so that they know how far to through check your bags on check-in.

it may be just one flight before and after, or it may be 2 or 3 depending on how many flights you have that day.
Hmm, from my experience it is always just the flight before (and if any after, then after). E.g.
AAA-BBB(AA)-CCC(AA)-DDD(BB)
Airline BB would only have a record of BBB-CCC on AA, but no AAA-BBB on AA, even if it's all in one segment.

Again, though, that is just from my experience.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:39 am

Has anyone here been accidentally not charged a change fee when voluntary changing a ticketed itin?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, from my experience it is always just the flight before (and if any after, then after). E.g.
AAA-BBB(AA)-CCC(AA)-DDD(BB)
Airline BB would only have a record of BBB-CCC on AA, but no AAA-BBB on AA, even if it's all in one segment.

Again, though, that is just from my experience.
correct on your example and (my apologies) correct regarding the single incoming sector. but I have an upcoming flight:

AAA-BBB(UA)-CCC(TG)-DDD(TG)

... and the UA reservation shows all the way to DDD as that's where the need to check the bags to from AAA (ie more than one later segment can show depending on bag and boarding pass issuing requirements)
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I've got an instance where the ticketing carrier doesn't show an OAL segment in the main view, but it does appear on the receipt still. I'm sure you won't be surprised to know that it's DL, which is ignoring the BUD-AMS portion of BUD-AMS-IAD on a multi-city ticket (OMA-BUD-IAD-OMA). Like I said, receipt OK and KL shows everything right, but odd that DL won't show that segment in the main view of the booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.