Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRJ bag size limit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

CRJ bag size limit

I will be flying US Airways on a CRJ next week, and was wondering if I am able to carry on this bag without paying a fee. I've read that you usually have to check roll-on luggage (gate check or plane check?).

The dimensions of my luggage are 19x6.5x12 or so, might be slightly more since the luggage would be laying it on its side. I heard the space is incredibly small(overhead bin), so please reply if you have flown in a crj.

So, in conclusion would I be able to have this as a carry on, and not have to pay a fee. I am also carrying on a small bookbag(would fit under seat).

(I know the bag fits the size requirement on their baggage policy on their website)

Last edited by swflyer; Oct 13, 2009 at 1:14 pm
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by swflyer
I will be flying US Airways on a CRJ next week, and was wondering if I am able to carry on this bag without paying a fee. I've read that you usually have to check roll-on luggage (gate check or plane check?).

The dimensions of my luggage are 19x6.5x12 or so, might be slightly more since the luggage would be laying it on its side. I heard the space is incredibly small(overhead bin), so please reply if you have flown in a crj.

So, in conclusion would I be able to have this as a carry on, and not have to pay a fee. I am also carrying on a small bookbag(would fit under seat).

(I know the bag fits the size requirement on their baggage policy on their website)
I think i was on an RJ yesterday from Montreal to Philadelphia.It's a plane with 2 seats only per side. I had my carryon rollerbag but left it in the jetway for them to put it down on the plane. Their overhead bins were too small for them.

There is no fee to have them checked at the gate/jetway before you board.
And when you deplane, you wait again in the jetway and they bring it up for you.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

ah thanks, SDCA.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
That's correct... Carry-on's are allowed to normal size up to the CRJ's but get plane checked and returned plane side when you arrive. It doesn't count as a checked luggage.

Now if you carry it onto a non CRJ plane after, you have to make sure it will fit in the standard overhead.

HTSC
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

I will be connecting on a CRJ-900 (which will be bigger, not sure about overhead bin size though)
-
small diagram of overhead bin size

--
as long I won't be charged and can get my bag when I get off the plane. I am happy.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
The sad thing is, the guy in the picture above is shown sitting down.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:14 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Please give us the flight number. If it is on a Republic operated flight and there isn't enough space then you will have to check your bag (without a fee) to baggage claim.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
From my experiences, on the old East side, you leave roller boards somewhere between the gate and plane, there's a cart that takes the bags to the plane, then you wait in a similar place at your destination.

On the West side, you leave your bag just before getting on the plane, but you have to claim the bag at your final destination, just as if you checked it.

Again, these are just my experiences. So much depends where you're flying between.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
A bag of this size won't fit on any of the CRJs. Pick up a bright yellow tag at the gate and latch it on your bag. You'll get your bag outside on the tarmac if you don't walk off a gate or at the door at the plane end of the jetway if you are lucky enough to arrive at an airport that has jetways that connect to CRJs.

If you have a laptop or anything fragile, you might want to take it out of your bag and hand carry it on board.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

2526 (operated by PSA Airlines)
then connect to 2604 (operated by Mesa Airlines)
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:19 pm

Location: Dallas, TX , formerly Wilmington, NC, hence ILMflyer
Programs: AA/WN/DL
As other posters have mentioned, you will need to place a yellow tag on your carry on. They are available at the gate podium. Your first flight is on PSA and your bag will be placed in the rear cargo compartment and returned to you on the jetway or ramp planeside at your connection point. Then take your carryon to your next flight and the same process will continue.

Okay, here is some advice. Put the yellow tag on yourself, do not think a US employee will put one on for you, unless you visibally watch them put one on. If a yellow tag is not present upon arrival at a station, it is taken to the local baggage claim for pick up, no matter if you are at a connecting point. It must have a yellow tag. Also, if you even think you can sneak a carry-on on the plane, PSA flight attendants are extremely strict. They will take it off and give you attitude the rest of the flight. Mesa flight attendants are less restrictive, but it's just easier to put on the yellow tags.

You will be fine. I think I see two or three problems a year and I work 10 to 12 flights a day. You will have a great trip!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

but they would surely allow me to take on my bookbag? or would that be checked as well.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:42 am

Just bumping up this thread with another question. I also am flying one of USAir's regional jets, and on my confirmation page it says, "Due to smaller-sized overhead compartments on our Express aircraft, carry-on bag size is limited to the following dimensions for these flights. 19 X 15 X 11."

That is smaller than what I consider to be the standard rolling carry-on bag, which is around 20 or 21". Will I be okay carrying my roller bag to the gate for gate-checking for free, or are they going to charge me more because I didn't check the bag initially?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 2:10 am

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
These flights are pretty miserable. Pretty much any "rollaboard" will not fit, but most soft luggage can be jammed into the tiny bins. Waiting in PHX or TUS in a 115 degree jetway for your rollaboard to be delivered after one of these horrendous flights in tiny, cramped, all Y seats (with most everyone else who was on the plane) has to be one of the worst aviation experiences in the USA, and should be avoided if at all possible. You will be able to gate check bags without a fee, but you will wish you could pay one to avoid the hideous experience of a US RJ.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:00 am

Did a bunch of flights on smaller jets recently and simply got into the habit of going straight to the podium and asking for a gate check tag...

Made my life easier...... and put a smile on the face of one GA.. who had apparently made an announcement requesting folks do that.... with zero response...

Several times in fact the GA's went around the gate area pro-actively handing them out.. which I thought was excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.