Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprised at the size of Zone 1 boarding

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2006, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Excellent reasoned argument against what seems to be the consensus.

As you could have seen, this was posted from my cell! I cant do to much. Lete me repeat, what I was trying to say

No, I belive GP's DO deserve Z1 because they are STAR Gold!

There! You happy!

And of course our favorite McFlyPHL tagline. SHOCKING!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:15 pm

Programs: US Gold
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
As you could have seen, this was posted from my cell! I cant do to much. Lete me repeat, what I was trying to say

No, I belive GP's DO deserve Z1 because they are STAR Gold!

There! You happy!

Is there some contractual reason why US must give non-DM *G fliers Zone 1 boarding privileges? US GP's are *G when they go elsewhere, it has nothing to do with their status on US. If I am wrong please enlighten me.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by EaglesWin
Is there some contractual reason why US must give non-DM *G fliers Zone 1 boarding privileges? US GP's are *G when they go elsewhere, it has nothing to do with their status on US. If I am wrong please enlighten me.

Im not exactly understanding, what youre trying to ask, but I think the anwser to your questions is that it has to go both ways.For example: Im a US *G as in GP on US Airways, and Im flying NZ, I expect, and will checkin at the Gold Counter or the Biz one. I will be boarding with NZ Golds, and Biz pax. The same goes expected for NZ Airpoints members. When theyre flying US even in coach, they expect to checkin in at the GOLD/PREFFERED/ENVOY/FIRST/ELITE counter, they will get priority tags, and they are allowed to board in ZONE1. It has to be recipricoral.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It's a gray area. Airlines generally take care of their own first, then alliance partners. There's nothing that says US can't do an F/CP Zone 1, then have *G's in Zone 2. What they can't do is board, say top-tier LH passengers who are using *G benefits with CPs ahead of any level of their own that is *G.

A quick trip to the *A website for some research shows that the Priority Boarding benefit is "where available". That would indicate that it's left up to the airline's discretion how to handle it.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:14 pm

It's a gray area. Airlines generally take care of their own first, then alliance partners. There's nothing that says US can't do an F/CP Zone 1, then have *G's in Zone 2. What they can't do is board, say top-tier LH passengers who are using *G benefits with CPs ahead of any level of their own that is *G.

A quick trip to the *A website for some research shows that the Priority Boarding benefit is "where available". That would indicate that it's left up to the airline's discretion how to handle it.

You kind of got that all wrong McFlyPHL, when theyre saying where available does not at all mean, that airlines pick how to do it, its where its physically not available, they cannot board by zones, it goes by rows. Small airports, ones where there is busing involved. Buy its cool that you got the whole google thing down! It helped you find the star alliance! Cheers!

Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:24 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Just because you're *G doesn't mean you get to be first on the plane. "Priority" boarding doesn't mean nobody else goes ahead. It means you get "priority" over the usual non-status "riff-raff"

HP boards like so:

People who need time getting down the jetway
First Class (Separate preboard, always)
All elites, including *G
Everyone else by row and window/middle/aisle.

The only thing I think should be changed is:
First Class with "Our Chairman's Preferred passengers are invited to board at any time," like UA's 1K and GS.
PP/GP/*G
SP/Credit cards
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:56 pm

The same goes expected for NZ Airpoints members. When theyre flying US even in coach, they expect to checkin in at the GOLD/PREFFERED/ENVOY/FIRST/ELITE counter, they will get priority tags, and they are allowed to board in ZONE1. It has to be recipricoral.
That's my point. Who says *G (from another program) get to be Zone 1? Can't US say US1 are Zone 1 and *G are Zone 2? *G status only matters if you are from another program on a US flight. If you have US status then that's what applies on a US flight. Using your US status to say you are *G to get benefits on US makes no sense or do I have my head rectally inserted?

(I'm not addressing at all US *G on *A partners flights.)
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:03 pm

That's my point. Who says *G (from another program) get to be Zone 1? Can't US say US1 are Zone 1 and *G are Zone 2? *G status only matters if you are from another program on a US flight. If you have US status then that's what applies on a US flight. Using your US status to say you are *G to get benefits on US makes no sense or do I have my head rectally inserted?

(I'm not addressing at all US *G on *A partners flights.)

So, then *S is what, Zone 3 now! Lets not push it too far back. All the zones are ok, but they have to seperate the 1 and 2! And they should have a couple of minutes break btwn 1 and 2 and between 2 and the remaining. Theyre doing it 1 on top of another!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:45 pm

And they should have a couple of minutes break btwn 1 and 2 and between 2 and the remaining. Theyre doing it 1 on top of another!
True that.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Maybe they should try just enforcing the zone 4's who board under zone 2??? It is such a pain when everyone huddles around a gate, I have zone one and some goof in front of me in zone 4 gets through!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Maybe they should try just enforcing the zone 4's who board under zone 2??? It is such a pain when everyone huddles around a gate, I have zone one and some goof in front of me in zone 4 gets through!

I just hate the crowding. The GA's should tell everyone to step back, sit their a@@es down, and wait until they here their zone called. This worst is in CLT to flights like Mexico City. We were boarding next door to a flight to MEX. Jeez, probably just 2 or 3 American folks, and the rest were Mexicans who barely spoke english total chaos!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Just because you're *G doesn't mean you get to be first on the plane. "Priority" boarding doesn't mean nobody else goes ahead. It means you get "priority" over the usual non-status "riff-raff"

HP boards like so:

People who need time getting down the jetway
First Class (Separate preboard, always)
All elites, including *G

The only thing I think should be changed is:
First Class with "Our Chairman's Preferred passengers are invited to board at any time," like UA's 1K and GS.
PP/GP/*G
SP/Credit cards
Actually, UA boards together FC and UGS only, not the 1Ks. It's part of what makes their FC product superior to many others--not crush on the FC pax as they try to get settled and hang up their coats.

Including the 1Ks would defeat the purpose, as there are so many, especially on certain flights, at certain times, and from hub cities. Just look over at the UA board: there's a number of threads on the number of elites on certain flights.

Last edited by EnvoyBoy; Mar 18, 2006 at 12:26 pm
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You kind of got that all wrong McFlyPHL, when theyre saying where available does not at all mean, that airlines pick how to do it, its where its physically not available, they cannot board by zones, it goes by rows. Small airports, ones where there is busing involved. Buy its cool that you got the whole google thing down! It helped you find the star alliance! Cheers!
Actually, the bus airports (like FRA, for example) are a part of that. However, the airline can choose how to board, even by busses. It's intentionally vague language (hence the use of the term "gray area"). As you get experience, you'll note that this is sometimes done on purpose.

We get that you (a Gold) don't want anyone boarding in a group in front of you. That's nice. I might not like it either. But I wouldn't have liked it when I was SP, either. Fact of the matter is that the system is broken and the big swell seems to be in the GP ranks. It further devlaues the F and CP product to have the crush including GPs, which you don't seem to get. The value of CPs can be argued, but F is F - paid or upgraded from any level.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, TK*G, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Sixt Plat.
the boarding system doesn't matter a lot unless you call by seat number

Originally Posted by flyastrojets
I've noticed a lot of "boarding Zones 1 and 2" lately. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Visa Signature from B of A and the new World MasterCard get Zone 2 boarding as well? I can't help but think that that's made a big difference in crowding.

If I'm not mistaken, HP boards First, Top Tiers and then everyone else by zones which are divided up by windows first then middles then aisles working it's way from back to front?
Zone boarding does speed up the process, but people randomly entering the planes enhances total system efficiency.
The best system would be calling zones as small as one seat, but this would be too complicated.
The best thing to really speed up the process is strictly limiting the number/size etc. of carry-ons.

But who of us FTs is willing to check all bags for an approx saving of 5 minutes on a flight!

If you pm me, I can hand you some researches about that! Really interesting stuff!!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:28 pm

Actually, the bus airports (like FRA, for example) are a part of that. However, the airline can choose how to board, even by busses. It's intentionally vague language (hence the use of the term "gray area"). As you get experience, you'll note that this is sometimes done on purpose.

We get that you (a Gold) don't want anyone boarding in a group in front of you. That's nice. I might not like it either. But I wouldn't have liked it when I was SP, either. Fact of the matter is that the system is broken and the big swell seems to be in the GP ranks. It further devlaues the F and CP product to have the crush including GPs, which you don't seem to get. The value of CPs can be argued, but F is F - paid or upgraded from any level.
Wow, you have a cool plan this is how it will be done the McFlyPHL way:

Good morning ladies and gentleman. Welcome to US Airways 516 non stop service from Chicago Ohare to Philadelphia. At this time we will begin boarding:
This is how boarding will be done. Please take a look at your BP and indentify your zone number. Please board when your zone number is called.

First we preboard, passengers needing assistance, mother w/ childeren...

At this time we board Z1 All paid F class pax

... now Z2, all upgraded F class pax

... now Z3 all Chairmants pref whol flew 100k miles or 120 segs
... Z4 CP's who got it by fast track
... Z5 Real Plat's 75k miles or 90 segs
... Z6 Fast track plats
.... Z7 GP' the real way
.... Z8 GP' the fast track way
.... z9 SP the real way
..... z10 SP the fast track way
.... z11 visa or mastercard card holders
..... z12-20 all other coach pax

YOU KNOW McFlyPHL, I gotta hand it to you, if you ran US, this would be one well organized airline! Oh SORRY, skipped one detail: ITS NOT YOUR FIELD!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.