Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:06 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ExtonUS
Ugh this new program bites for borderline CPs. If you fly 100k miles again then all is good. If you fall short you get socked big time.
99k flown miles gets you 'plat' = 173,250 miles earned versus 198,00 miles in the old system. You lose 24750 miles.
Drop down to 74k flown miles you get 'gold' = 111,000 miles earned versus 148,000 miles in the old system. You lose 37000 miles!!!!!!
I will say this for HP in the couple years I've been flying them I've been told several times that if you are within 10% on miles or segments they automatically bump you up to the next level. It's not something they publish and they may not continue doing it but I've been told this by several HP flight fund employees. They were very liberal with their status comps if you demonstrated an amount of flying that would put you over the top had you flown the entire year as well. I flew around 60K one year in only about 4.5 months and they gave me platinum without even having to ask them.

Again, not sure if this will continue or what but it's a possibility. Although with them taking the worst of both programs to come up with this one, one only knows....

Lance
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
Originally Posted by ExtonUS
Ugh this new program bites for borderline CPs. If you fly 100k miles again then all is good. If you fall short you get socked big time.
99k flown miles gets you 'plat' = 173,250 miles earned versus 198,00 miles in the old system. You lose 24750 miles.
Drop down to 74k flown miles you get 'gold' = 111,000 miles earned versus 148,000 miles in the old system. You lose 37000 miles!!!!!!

Overall for relatively high mileage flyers 50k to borderline 100k you are giving up 1 free ticket per year for the honor of flying US instead of AA or UA or whatever other program you choose.

I don't see the point in staying with US unless you barely fly in which case it doesn't matter or if you can count on flying over 100k miles each and every year.

I for one will wait till December to see what changes are made if any then I will be calling United and asking for a status match or challenge.
Two points here:

1. The above post, regardless of whether or not the new management will spot you CP if you get within spitting distance or not, underlines the value of the mileage bonuses and how this program at mid-tiers has been devalued versus its previous status as well as versus major competitors. Like the power ports issue, this hits the bullseye for devaluing features important to business travelers. We keep on getting more and more data points to throw on the map, and if you connect them, it draws a line that points to "leisure traveler airline". New management would never admit that, and I hope that I'm wrong, but add this to the list of things that makes one believe that they don't care a lot about business travelers.

2. Did anyone do a double take when they saw that the base award level (ie 25k miles domestic) was called "mileage saver"? Speaking of trends... it was already hard enough to redeem the base mile award for a remotely popular route (see: no base awards to Europe this last summer). It looks pretty clear to me that the "premium" level awards are going to be the new basic award level, and if you want "mileage saver" you might be able to get it on ROC - PHL in the dead of winter but otherwise it'll be a roulette wheel.

I would be fine with them increasing the redemption level for a base award to 35,000 miles if there was actual availability...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
These are negative changes to the FF program as metnioned by posters above. I see a fleeing of US FFers to United, etc. I hope that their changes are not imitated by other US carriers.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:06 am

Programs: US CP, HH DIA, IC AMB
These are negative changes to the FF program as metnioned by posters above. I see a fleeing of US FFers to United, etc.

Just made CP, looks like one year (2/07) and goooonnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Wondering about *A impact of 4 tiers

Here's hoping that Gold Preferreds will still be *Golds...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by sts603
2.) No details on companion upgrades.
They wouldn't dare get rid of companion upgrades, would they?? The changes announced cut benefits dramatically in my mind. Companion upgrades would be one of the few things left. Anyone know for sure?
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
They wouldn't dare get rid of companion upgrades, would they?? The changes announced cut benefits dramatically in my mind. Companion upgrades would be one of the few things left. Anyone know for sure?
I doubt they'll do that. Companion upgrades (day of departure) for Gold and Plat members has been part of the HP FF program for a long time. Since they seem to pretty much be extending the HP program into DM, I imagine they'll keep them.

Whether there is much availability to make them useful is a different discussion. . .
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
The pattern seems to be that when there is a difference between the way US and HP operate, the "New US" is implementing the "lesser" (from the customer's perspective) of the two. In areas where there is no difference between the way US and HP operate, they seem to be maintaining the status quo. Given this hypothesis, it wouldn't surprise me if the "New US" downgrades their entire 757 fleet to F8. I hope to be proven wrong.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I doubt they'll do that. Companion upgrades (day of departure) for Gold and Plat members has been part of the HP FF program for a long time. Since they seem to pretty much be extending the HP program into DM, I imagine they'll keep them.

Whether there is much availability to make them useful is a different discussion. . .
The difference was US used to do them at the elites clearance time right? So a CP and his/her companion would both clear at 7 days vs the HP where the companion would clear the same day as the flight. With possibly fewer F seats I think this is the way to go. If every Chairmans/plat etc. could add a companion you are going to run out of F seats quickly on some routes when there are only 8 to begin with.

Lance
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
The difference was US used to do them at the elites clearance time right? So a CP and his/her companion would both clear at 7 days vs the HP where the companion would clear the same day as the flight. With possibly fewer F seats I think this is the way to go. If every Chairmans/plat etc. could add a companion you are going to run out of F seats quickly on some routes when there are only 8 to begin with.
I agree. While I'm sure it was a coveted benefit for CP's, given what I'm certain will be reduced availability of upgrades (based upon what HP has done in the past), it just isn't fair to the lower level elite members.

But on occasion, that companion upgrade is really important. When it is, I use miles to confirm it -- but even that is harder to do given the restrictions on the number of seats they make available.

I've long felt that Platinum, now CP's, should be given a small number of confirmed domestic upgrades, either in paper or digital form, that can be used at your upgrade window for a companion traveling with you. That way, for this or that special occasion, you have it handled. I think it would be a very nice benefit.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:37 pm

AZ,

I never travelled with a companion while I had status but I thought I read some threads that your upgrade would not clear if you had someone of lower status or no status on your itinerary. Was this the case if you had just a regular traveller with no status that your plat upgrade wouldn't clear that the 3 day window due to the other person being on there or am I remembering incorrectly?

Lance
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Was this the case if you had just a regular traveller with no status that your plat upgrade wouldn't clear that the 3 day window due to the other person being on there or am I remembering incorrectly?
Yes, that's correct. If in the same PNR, you won't get upgraded at your upgrade window. You can call and if first is available the agent will split the PNR into two and upgrade you. Then you can upgrade your companion at the airport (via an agent, you can't do it at the kisok unless the person is the same PNR) if there is an available seat.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I agree. While I'm sure it was a coveted benefit for CP's, given what I'm certain will be reduced availability of upgrades (based upon what HP has done in the past), it just isn't fair to the lower level elite members.
Am I concerned about whether it is fair for a flyer who flies 25 segments a year versus a customer who is flying 120 plus segments. NO

If he wants the benefit, he can fly more. That is what rewarding loyalty is all about.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:31 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Am I concerned about whether it is fair for a flyer who flies 25 segments a year versus a customer who is flying 120 plus segments. NO

If he wants the benefit, he can fly more. That is what rewarding loyalty is all about.
Gee, thanks, Greg. Glad you care about little folks like me.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont

I have to agree with this. While it's nice to be touchy-feeley and care about everyone, they fact is that this is how loyalty programs should work. I was on the back of the plane, Zone 6 boarding for four Delta flights this week. I had no ill will to those who were up front or boarded early

(I did want to kill the Delta agents who took their sweet time moving the late flight along - I missed the first 25 minutes of Pearl Jam. )

Sadly, I do see the pattern of taking the "worst of" when designing the new program, and that doesn't bode well for future changes. I guess the LCC with a difference won't be that different after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.