Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by martin33
not only that, but contrary to the last "reassuring" spokesman interview, miles earned prior to October 5th in the separate programs will not be combined for '06 elite calculation purposes.
Actually I think they will:

-- Miles and segments flown on flights operated by both America West and US Airways for all of 2005 will count toward Preferred or Elite status.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:20 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Now I only get 25% bonus mileage? Starting off on the wrong foot here.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; US 50K
How about the international upgrade awards? How many points and on what fares? Will CPs still get transatlantic upgrades? Will they still hand out the DM000087's by the fistful?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shell nyc
Actually I think they will:

-- Miles and segments flown on flights operated by both America West and US Airways for all of 2005 will count toward Preferred or Elite status.
Where did you find this? Can you post a link to the page? Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Where did you find this? Can you post a link to the page? Thanks!

No problem...it's in the link in the OP of this thread, in the bulleted list just before the Qualifications and Benefits table.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
This is a major kick in the backside for US golds. It makes most other airline's FF program rewards at the 50k EQM threshold much more attractive - more rewards for less flying.

I had been thinking of pushing most of my flying back to US next year. I don't think I'm going to qualify for CP or 1k next year, so with these changes I'm starting to think I'd be better off getting Prem Exec on UA instead.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Sep 26, 2005 at 5:36 pm
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:48 pm

Help With EQM

Originally Posted by PHLDividends
Don't know if anyone else has been wondering, but I called the GP desk and got an answer to the question that was bothering me -- whether you will need 120 segments this year for CP or just 100, like in the past. According to GP desk, "the merger is effective November 15, so if you're already working towards 100 segments this year and get 100 by the end of the year, CP will be good through Feb. 2007." But to qualify through Feb. 2008, you'd have to get 120 segments next year. Nice to get an easy answer from customer service!
I just noted this for someone else on the thread, but usairways.com states that all the miles and segments flown on America West and US Airways will count towards status beginning on 10/5/05. And the full year 2005 miles and segments will be considered between what you accrued on HP FlightFund and US Airways Dividend Miles in 2005 to give you the highest status possible in the Dividend Miles Preferred program period beginning Spring of 2006. In other words, you get a full year review in both programs for status next year.

Also the CHP increase to 120 segments is effective on 1/1/06 next year.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I looked at the US club section and it looked like all elite members will pay the same amount of $300.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by chowder
CP segments up from 100 to 120
GP bonus down from 100% to 50%
As someone who depends upon and thus flys (extra) segments to get there, this makes me mad.... but I only reached CP this year because of the challenge so I'm not even sure I'd have made 100 segments... although my travel is picking up so maybe.

I think the only negative about CP is once you have it, it would be hard to live with out!

Anyway, just echoing the

Edited to add:
The more I read and the more I think about this, it seems that gold (which I'll most likely be after feb 07) is relegated to basically Silver and that silver is basically worthless. Having plats just means that one more group will clear before golds... I could understand having a plat level during the transition but are there any other programs with 4 levels?

Last edited by SpaceBass; Sep 26, 2005 at 6:42 pm
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:50 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
As a GP who would do about 60k miles a year, I guess I'm not really happy about this new stuff. In fact it looks like GPs take the brunt of the suffering.

The most important thing to me--unlimited upgrades 3 days in advance s/a--remains, but it seems like the entire list of other benefits has been reduced:

--my bonus mileage is HALVED from 100 to 50%. That's pretty serious, actually. HALVED.
--I can't get a 20K award, which I use really often in fact. Everything is 25k.
--I also enjoyed cheap Bermuda awards which aren't to be anymore. 30k still isn't bad, but when my bonus mileage is HALVED at the same time the award thresholds are raised, the net effect is a significant loss.
--there will be two tiers ahead of me instead of just one. It was nice to know that only CPs got the upgrades before me, and that there was a pretty big difference between a CP and a GP. But now we have an entirely new realm of preferreds that will snag even more seats before the GP window opens. Will I ever be able to upgrade a companion under this new scheme as a GP?
--if I ever drop to SP, I'm not sure what the benefit is except a VERY occasional upgrade only for myself and perhaps the bonus mileage.

Basically, it seems that GP is the new SP, and SP is like a bone thrown to those people who are just repeat enough that the airline doesn't want to lose them but aren't good enough customers to warrant much attention.

Luckily I've qualified for CP under the 6689 promo so none of this really matters for me next year, but I'll certainly be watching this board and others' comments on how this dilution of GP really manifests itself. The power ports didn't bother me much, the lack of hot meals really didn't bother me much; but this real reduction in benefits is starting to piss me off.

I was treated really well on AA this year, and I won't forget it.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
While I don't agree with all the changes and am still really confused about the future of transatlatic upgrades for chairman's, companion upgrades and also mileage upgrade awards - I think one thing Gold's need to remember is that just because there are two tiers above them doesn't mean there will be that much of a change in upgrades. If there are enough seats to upgrade all Golds and CP's now, then there will still be with three tiers. The only time it will make a difference is when CP's, Plats, and only some GP's get upgraded (earlier on the list, higher fare basis - whatever decides it). But then again, that's only fair that a 75K flyer trumps a 50K flyer
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jghassell
my bonus mileage is HALVED from 100 to 50%. That's pretty serious, actually. HALVED.
When HP sliced the FlightFund bonus a few years ago, Silvers were droped from 50% to 25%, and Golds from 100% to 50%. Platinums only went from 125% to 100%. Now HP Plats are losing another 25%.

US Plat is a serious ripoff. An AA Plat can fly 25k less miles and still earn more bonus miles than a US Plat.

I was treated really well on AA this year, and I won't forget it.
Did you do a Plat challenge?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:06 pm

I think one thing Gold's need to remember is that just because there are two tiers above them doesn't mean there will be that much of a change in upgrades.
Not necessarily. Those non-CPs who flew 75,000-95,000 miles a year now get upgraded in advance before GPs. I bet there are a fair number of these people. I hate this primarily because I hate the gate lottery.

Plus, don't forgett we have all of the HP elites coming in too. So the pool is both bigger and broken up differently.

I do agree 75kers should, in principle, be upgraded more than 50kers. But I like things the way they are.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:08 pm

It sucks for me as I was planning on dropping from CP go GP this year, but now I'll be dropping two levels. But it does make sense to have a level between 50K and 100K.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Did you do a Plat challenge?
Sure did. I won't keep it this year, but I know I can get it back fairly quickly and painlessly, and my earned upgrades are still there.

Say what you will about paying for upgrades, but (a) it thins out the ranks of potential upgraders and (b) there are no surprises with AA's system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.