Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting TODAY - No 50% off fare for child under 2!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways Gold, Marriott Platnium, Starwood Gold
Exclamation Starting TODAY - No 50% off fare for child under 2!!!

Called the Gold line today to book upcoming flights PHL - SAN for business. I still haven't been able to figure out how to view/book "A" fares on usairways.com (but that is a topic for another thread - if in fact "A" fares survive the merger).

Agent was very helpful, I first tried to use DM to upgrade to FC but NOTHING was available. So she found "A" fares for all of my trips. Anyway, I asked her to put them on hold so I could confirm dates with client, etc.

We engaged in some friendly banter about the upcoming merger, changes, etc. She said that changes were already happening DAILY. She received a memo when she arrived this morning that effective IMMEDIATELY, there is no longer a discount for a seat purchased for a child under 2 years of age. Previously, there was a 50% discount on the fare if you chose to buy a seat for an infant. She said she had at least two reservations on hold from yesterday that she could not honor because of the change.

Now I'm pretty sure this particular change won't have great impact on the readers here (unlike the power outlets ). However, it does make you wonder what other surprises are in store over the next couple of weeks??

CR
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by crazyrunner
Called the Gold line today to book upcoming flights PHL - SAN for business. I still haven't been able to figure out how to view/book "A" fares on usairways.com (but that is a topic for another thread - if in fact "A" fares survive the merger).

Agent was very helpful, I first tried to use DM to upgrade to FC but NOTHING was available. So she found "A" fares for all of my trips. Anyway, I asked her to put them on hold so I could confirm dates with client, etc.

We engaged in some friendly banter about the upcoming merger, changes, etc. She said that changes were already happening DAILY. She received a memo when she arrived this morning that effective IMMEDIATELY, there is no longer a discount for a seat purchased for a child under 2 years of age. Previously, there was a 50% discount on the fare if you chose to buy a seat for an infant. She said she had at least two reservations on hold from yesterday that she could not honor because of the change.

Now I'm pretty sure this particular change won't have great impact on the readers here (unlike the power outlets ). However, it does make you wonder what other surprises are in store over the next couple of weeks??

CR
Actually I agree with this change. If the infant wants to sit in the lap - then 10% but if it occupies a seat, in this market, it's a little too much to expect to get a 50% off discount. So I'm with US/HP on this one. I can understand it's frustrating though and they should have honored existing hold's.

As for the A-fares, they may go away but HP's full F is lower than US's A in some cases so as soon as the entire fare structure is ratoinalized I wouldn't be surprised if it's refundable F or not but the prices are so good it doesn't matter. No more $3000 transcon r/ts in F.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sts603
Actually I agree with this change. If the infant wants to sit in the lap - then 10% but if it occupies a seat, in this market, it's a little too much to expect to get a 50% off discount. So I'm with US/HP on this one. I can understand it's frustrating though and they should have honored existing hold's.
Infants on laps on domestic flights are FREE, not 10%. International lap children are 10%, and there never was a 50% infant international discount.

Refusing to sell infant coach seats at 50% is just plane stupid, IMO.

Power port removal, no more discounts for infants - I don't see long-term success with policies like these.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:25 am

Aligning with HP's general rules.

Internationally there are varying discounts for children with seats.

Last edited by whlinder; Sep 16, 2005 at 11:29 am
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Infants on laps on domestic flights are FREE, not 10%. International lap children are 10%, and there never was a 50% infant international discount.

Refusing to sell infant coach seats at 50% is just plane stupid, IMO.

Power port removal, no more discounts for infants - I don't see long-term success with policies like these.
IMO, a seat is a seat (unless it's first class or UA E+, etc.). So, just like an extra seat for a very large person should be full price, a seat for an infant should be full price too. However, the immediate effectiveness of the policy seems silly ... how about just a little notice on some of these new changes, HP mgmt???
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:03 pm
Suspended

It's absurd to give a discount for a child if he uses a seat.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways Gold, Marriott Platnium, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
It's absurd to give a discount for a child if he uses a seat.
I don't disagree, but I have a friend who has 5 kids who may have a different opinion Actually I disagree with the whole concept of the child on the lap for safety reasons. A bit of turbulence and your peeling Jr off the overhead bins...

As others have said, the immediate effectiveness of the policy is what disturbs me the most...
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
As a grandparent, I don't like the change in pricing. However, my kids are now over two.

It is obvious that the airlines have to do something to make money and it seems they we object to everything that they do. There were four major airlines in bankrupcy (ok, three after this afternoon). Most of the others are losing money. Maybe we should be making suggestions as to how they can make money rather than faulting every single move that is made.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 8:02 pm

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by sts603
As for the A-fares, they may go away but HP's full F is lower than US's A in some cases so as soon as the entire fare structure is ratoinalized I wouldn't be surprised if it's refundable F or not but the prices are so good it doesn't matter. No more $3000 transcon r/ts in F.
The A fares are staying. I have seen the new fare codes and they are there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.