Search

How do I help my travel agent?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
How do I help my travel agent?

Hi all,

I've searched a bit, but haven't found my answer, so I'll take the chance that this is just a dumb newbie question.

I'm SP on US, and am flying to NRT in a couple of weeks. I always book my own flights online, but for this trip I must use a corporate travel agent. I asked that my DM number be used although the travel is on UA, because I was hoping for E+ seats. When checking my itinerary, I noticed that my DM number was entered as a United Airlines FF.

I spoke with someone at the travel agency, and she said that the number was showing as invalid (of course). I was hoping that someone familiar with the travel agent booking system could tell me what to ask the travel agent to do. Is it just a matter of asking them to enter it as a DM number, or is it trickier than that because it's a UA booking? Finally, what's the chance of getting an E+ seat at this late date (flying out 10 Sept) if my DM number does get in?

Thanks for the help,
-Ed.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:14 pm

Programs: Silver
Either the US FF number s/he has is incorrect or the format she used to submit it to UA is incorrect. Verify the number ff you gave them or tell them to call UA and ask them to put it in for you.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:40 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Or you can call UA and ask them to fix the record once it's ticketed.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 5:19 pm

She needs to send it as a SSR message to UA.

Looking
Old Sep 1, 2005, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
So long as you have a reservation with UA you can call UA directly and have them enter your US FF#. You don't have to be ticketed to do this. Then you should be able to get a seat assignment immediately and should have access to E+ as a US SP.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
So long as you have a reservation with UA you can call UA directly and have them enter your US FF#. You don't have to be ticketed to do this. Then you should be able to get a seat assignment immediately and should have access to E+ as a US SP.

And let us know what you find. A dirty little secret I found, through experience and then embedded in small print somewhere, was the US elite status gets you E+ access *most* of the time. I posted a thread a while back that my CP number wasn't getting me E+ access to HNL ("E+ is full") even though I could book a full fare ticket on UA.com and pick from dozens of empty seats. After several call, an agent finally had to call ticketing/yield management/someone and get me some seats, as they were blocked from elites. A 1K co-worker saw the same full cabin booking a restricted fare, and it magically opened up when he booked as a full fare.

I suspect NRT would be similar.

I suspect on high demand flights, they reserve E+ for full fare tix and only open them to elites on day of flight (checking in on-line, they were more than willing to *sell* me an upgrade to E+, even with my CP number attached).
Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

OK, thanks for the guidance.

I just spoke with a UA agent, who took my DM number (hasn't shown up in my Virtuallythere itinerary yet, though -- any ideas why this might be?). She told me that she couldn't get me a better seat, but to call back w/in 24 hours of the flight and they could try again. Perhaps they're holding the E+ seats for full fares until the 1-day window, as CPRich suggests.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
OK, thanks for the guidance.

I just spoke with a UA agent, who took my DM number (hasn't shown up in my Virtuallythere itinerary yet, though -- any ideas why this might be?). She told me that she couldn't get me a better seat, but to call back w/in 24 hours of the flight and they could try again. Perhaps they're holding the E+ seats for full fares until the 1-day window, as CPRich suggests.
I've found that Virtuallythere "lags" frequently and sometimes NEVER updates with your current info. I've got a reservation right now on US with seat 1F assigned according to the agents on the phone, but VT still shows me in coach 3 days after the change!

In any case, you might try calling again and be more insistent about star alliance elites getting access to E+. It can't hurt...
Old Sep 1, 2005, 5:48 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Agree with others here. There have been significant challenges for many of us attempting to secure seats in E+ on UA flights. Many a time I've been told it was not possible; however, 100% of the time I have been persistent and continued to call back until I reached an agent willing to make the effort to make it happen.

CALL BACK, CALL BACK, CALL BACK.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:47 pm

Question

Originally Posted by sbtinme
Agree with others here. There have been significant challenges for many of us attempting to secure seats in E+ on UA flights. Many a time I've been told it was not possible; however, 100% of the time I have been persistent and continued to call back until I reached an agent willing to make the effort to make it happen.

CALL BACK, CALL BACK, CALL BACK.
Sorry that you have to take it from someone who just got off the phone two hours ago with UA getting a confirmed E+ seat for ORD-LGA b/c of US status, but doesn't it strike you as unfair that we (US elites) get E+ seats, but UA elites have no such option on US flights? (I mean, access to 12+ rows sure beats the right to an exit row or normal, up-front coach seat...)

Just a thought...
Old Sep 2, 2005, 9:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by goheelswks
Sorry that you have to take it from someone who just got off the phone two hours ago with UA getting a confirmed E+ seat for ORD-LGA b/c of US status, but doesn't it strike you as unfair that we (US elites) get E+ seats, but UA elites have no such option on US flights? (I mean, access to 12+ rows sure beats the right to an exit row or normal, up-front coach seat...)

Just a thought...
Serves them right for having a good idea like E+.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:39 am
Original Poster

You were all (all y'all ?) correct. Another call to the reservation line got my DM number entered correctly and seats - albeit middle seats, for now - in E+. Thanks for the help!

-Ed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.