Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Policy on Flights out of New Orleans?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

USA Policy on Flights out of New Orleans?

Hi all. We have evacuated from New Orleans to Birmingham and awaiting word on when we can go home. My mom is with me and she has two tickets out of New Orleans on Thursday. She called USA to see about getting a refund or voucher and the out of the country CSR that she spoke to said that that was not an option. She has up to one year to use her tickets, but she needs to reschedule the flights before 9/5. She tried to explain that the airport isn't even open and no reschedule date and she's not even sure her home exists anymore...how can she decide on a travel date?

It just doesn't make any sense. Am I missing something?

J
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:08 pm

Looks like US airways management are being royal A_SS H_OLES for forcing you to re-book within such a narrow time window.

I hope they're reading these threads. It's nothing but robbery. They're basically stealing money. Those cupons will be worth S_HIT and they know it. They'll charge so much to use them.

What have they got to lose by refunding? Are they that criminal and deprived that they need to steal this money?

A friggen destination has been eliminated from their air routes. Why don't they acknowledge it and give back the money? Not just them - all carriers?

Is there any recorse from the credit card companies on this?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:27 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by Joe Airman
Looks like US airways management are being royal A_SS H_OLES for forcing you to re-book within such a narrow time window.

I hope they're reading these threads. It's nothing but robbery. They're basically stealing money. Those cupons will be worth S_HIT and they know it. They'll charge so much to use them.

What have they got to lose by refunding? Are they that criminal and deprived that they need to steal this money?

A friggen destination has been eliminated from their air routes. Why don't they acknowledge it and give back the money? Not just them - all carriers?
US is probably so close to the edge (HP or no HP) to the edge in terms of cashflow that refunding all tickets to/from MSY for a few months would probably put them over the edge.

Or that would be my guess, because their current stance is a PR disaster in the making.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

My mom was not given the option of even a voucher much less a refund. She'd have been ok I think with a voucher for a later trip. She was not offered that. She was told she has 7 days from the date of the supposed flight to rebook. If she doesn't rebook she looses the tickets.

J
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Well, while we're all speculating, let me toss this in. The policy was put in place before today's developments. Yesterday (Mon.) was bad enough for MSY - today is worse. Give US a chance to revise their policy. I imagine they will, since many will be in the same situation as the OP. Out of fairness, let's look at what other carriers are doing (only American is offering a refund, and that's only as a voucher):

Here's UA's policy (no refunds):

CHICAGO, Aug. 29, 2005 – United Airlines today has revised its ticketing policies for its customers with travel plans to and from New Orleans, La., likely to be affected by Hurricane Katrina. Effective immediately, these policies apply to all customers ticketed on or before Aug. 25, 2005, for travel on Aug. 25 through Sept 10, 2005, to or from New Orleans on any United®, United Express®, TedSM or United codeshare flight.

United previously announced revised ticketing policies for its customers with travel plans to and from Fort Lauderdale, Miami, West Palm Beach, and Fort Myers, Fla., likely to be affected by Hurricane Katrina. Effective immediately, these policies apply to all customers ticketed on or before Aug. 25, 2005, for travel on Aug. 25 - 29, 2005, to or from these cities on any United®, United Express®, TedSM or United codeshare flight.

Passengers may make these changes through a travel agency or by calling United's reservations line at 1-800-UNITED-1 by midnight on their original travel date.

For customers currently en route who would like to return to their point of origin, all rules and restrictions regarding standard change fees, day or time applications, and/or minimum stay or Saturday night-stay requirements have been waived.

Customers with unused tickets for travel within this time period may also reschedule their travel between the same origin and destination without a change fee. Rescheduled travel for the same itinerary must meet the same rule and booking code restrictions in order to guarantee the original fare. Rescheduled travel on flights and/or dates that do not meet the original restrictions may be subject to higher fares.
Here's Delta's (no refunds):

Weather Alert: Hurricane Katrina
Last Updated: August 29, 2005, 11:00pm EDT

Hurricane Katrina may impact travel in select areas of Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi. If you are traveling to, from, or through these areas, check flight status frequently for up-to-the-minute information about your flight arrangements. To get updates sent directly to your wireless communication device, be sure to sign up for Flight Notifications.

Rescheduling Flights
You may make a one-time change to your ticket without penalties if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following cities on Delta, Song®, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below. Additional collection in fares may apply. See Conditions & Restrictions below.
And Continental's (no refunds):

Weather Reaccommodation

Due to Hurricane Katrina, Continental is providing the option to reschedule or reroute your travel once, without a penalty, if you are ticketed to/from/through one of the cities listed below for travel between Wednesday, August 24, 2005 and Saturday, September 3, 2005. Travel must be re-scheduled or re-issued by September 10, 2005:

Baton Rouge, LA (BTR)
Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Fort Walton Beach, FL (VPS)
Freeport, Bahamas (FPO)
Georgetown, Bahamas (GGT)
Governors Harbour, Bahamas (GHB)
Gulfport/ Biloxi, MS (GPT)
Jackson, MS (JAN)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Key West, FL (EYW)
Lafayette, LA (LFT)
Marsh Harbour, Bahamas (MHH)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Mobile, AL (MOB)
Nassau, Bahamas (NAS)
New Orleans, LA (MSY)
North Eleuthera, Bahamas (ELH)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
Pensacola, FL (PNS)
Sarasota/ Bradenton, FL (SRQ)
Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
Tampa/ St. Petersburg, FL (TPA)
Treasure Cay, Bahamas (TCB)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

Travel must be completed by the original validity dates specified on ticket and changes must be confirmed in the same booking class as the original ticket.
And for good measure, here's American's (refund as a voucher):
Hurricane Katrina Travel Policy

Updated 5:00 p.m. CDT August 30
As a result of the impact of Hurricane Katrina, please note the following changes in our airport operations:

Baton Rouge, LA (BTR) - The airport is currently open.
Fort Walton Beach, FL (VPS) - The airport is currently open.
Jackson, MS (JAN) - The airport will be closed through August 31.
Mobile, AL (MOB) - The airport will be closed through August 31.
New Orleans, LA (MSY) - American Airlines will not operate flights to or from New Orleans until at least September 5. Based on continuing evaluations of storm damage, this may change.
Pensacola, FL (PNS) - The airport is currently open.
Please check www.aa.com/gates for current information regarding your specific flight before traveling to the airport for your flight.

If you were ticketed to the above-mentioned areas by August 24, 2005, American offers you the convenience of the following options due to the impact of Katrina:

You may change your origination travel date up to October 31, 2005. No fee or penalty will apply if the original booking class used for your fare is available.
If your travel was booked using an AAdvantage award, you may elect to have the AAdvantage mileage used for this trip refunded. No reinstatement fee will apply.
Non-refundable tickets may be refunded in the form of a voucher only.
Refundable tickets may be handled as normal guidelines allow.
You may apply the value of your unused ticket toward a ticket for travel to another location.
One ticketed change is allowed, and no fee or penalty will apply. For assistance with changing your travel plans, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada.
So let's be fair. None of these carriers are allowing refunds to your card - and only American is offering a refund as a voucher. I imagine that when one offers full refunds, and not as vouchers - the rest will fall into line.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:32 pm

My itinerary to MSY is scheduled for Sept 13.

If MSY is still closed that day, and
If I show up at my departure airport on time, and
If I DO NOT make any prior decision to re-schedule or otherwise obtain a flight voucher,

Then what will happen? Will US tell me that sorry, we're not flying to MSY today, and you get no compensation, no refund. We took your money and we're giving you no service in return. ?

What if, when I show up at the check-in for my outbound flight, they tell me that unless I make a decision right-then-and-there to select a new departure date, they tell me that I'm essenentially forfeiting any value my current tickets have. Can I force them to provide the service that I paid for or give me a full cash refund?

Doesn't the DOT have anything to say about this?

Among the myriad of laws, rules and regulations that govern the airline industry, can't there be one regulation that stipulates a cash refund in the event an airport is dammaged/destroyed or otherwise non-functional for an indeterminate period lasting more than, say, 7 days?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Generally these things tend to be pretty fluid. I think the problem right now is that everyone's hoping to resume ops by the end of the weekend, but no one's sure if that's realistic yet. The airlines will probably all fall in line with each other and in the end both the dates of resuming ops and in how they're flexible (rebook vs. voucher, etc). Depending upon terminal and gate damage, there may be some airline-specific differences.

If MSY is still closed around the time of your travel the extra flexibility in the reaccomodations will certainly be extended. I recall that when Hurricane Fabian hit Bermuda in 2003 and I needed to go there for work, they extended the flexible policy several times, finally settling on a 21 day period due to the local damage. I rebooked something like 5 separate times as the islands struggled to recover. MSY got hit far worse than BDA did.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:46 pm

The problem with New Orleans (not necessarily MSY) is that just because MSY becomes operable doesn't mean that the original reason you wanted to go to New Orleans is still valid.

Trouble is, neither I (nor the person/institution I'm going down for) know when they will be ready for my visit. It's just not acceptible (not reasonable) for an airline to force me, within the next week or two, to select a new departure date (and then put up with the song-and-dance of seat availability and possible differences in fare classes and prices compared to what I originally booked).

I'd rather take a refund to my credit card now and book later when the time is right (which could be months from now).

Lots of convention travel to New Orleans has been thrown into chaos. I'm sure there will be thousands of people in this situation. The air carriers better smarten up and realize that this isin't just a thunderstorm that's thrown a monkey wrench into the works here.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
If they cancel the flight she was booked on they will refund the full amount. I was scheduled for Thursday and at first they said the same thing but after the flight showed as canceled they refunded my ticket.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:46 am

The problem with New Orleans (not necessarily MSY) is that just because MSY becomes operable doesn't mean that the original reason you wanted to go to New Orleans is still valid.

Trouble is, neither I (nor the person/institution I'm going down for) know when they will be ready for my visit. It's just not acceptible (not reasonable) for an airline to force me, within the next week or two, to select a new departure date (and then put up with the song-and-dance of seat availability and possible differences in fare classes and prices compared to what I originally booked).

I'd rather take a refund to my credit card now and book later when the time is right (which could be months from now).

Lots of convention travel to New Orleans has been thrown into chaos. I'm sure there will be thousands of people in this situation. The air carriers better smarten up and realize that this isin't just a thunderstorm that's thrown a monkey wrench into the works here.
That's why it's important to have travel insurance or to purchase flexible/refundable tickets if there is something that might prevent you from going.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I was supposed to go Friday and they ended up refunding, i think those with tickets for 9/13 are just going to have to wait.

They did say they could use the value towards another ticket to another destination in the same fare class with advance purchase requirements waived.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catwood
I was supposed to go Friday and they ended up refunding, i think those with tickets for 9/13 are just going to have to wait.

They did say they could use the value towards another ticket to another destination in the same fare class with advance purchase requirements waived.
Just to clarify - are these cash refunds or travel vouchers?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
It's going to be 2 months atleast untill MSY can reopen for commerical service cnn has reported...
9:46 A.M. - CNN: Commercial flights coming out of New Orleans International Airport could resume in two months.
This is from the blog on wwltv.com
http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html
-howie
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum

If your flight is canceled (you do not need to show up in person at the airport), you will receive a full refund on your card.

If the flight operates to MSY, you will not receive a refund. If your plans change (for any reason), you are subject to the rules of the ticket, which is a contract. If you have a nonrefundable ticket, it is exactly that.

Insurers do offer a product for this sort of situation.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
The Airlines will do fine

I wouldn't automatically assume that people who were scheduled to go to MSY are just going to cancel all travel plans and stay home - many (including rerouting conventioneers) will choose to go, yes, even FLY, elsewhere - and the airlines benefited from the evacuation's last minute travelers by topping off their loads with high-fare pax, didn't they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.