Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Policy on Flights out of New Orleans?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:55 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by fastflyer
If your flight is canceled (you do not need to show up in person at the airport), you will receive a full refund on your card.

If the flight operates to MSY, you will not receive a refund. If your plans change (for any reason), you are subject to the rules of the ticket, which is a contract. If you have a nonrefundable ticket, it is exactly that.

Insurers do offer a product for this sort of situation.
Travel insurance is a rip-off to begin with, and suggesting its purchase for every single ticket you buy to guard against a 100 year event is just silly.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Mine was a refund to my credit card.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:13 pm

Programs: Usair DM
Even Dm members get no help

I had 4 tickets to go to New orleans on Sept 23 2 1st class and 2 coach.
When I called to redeposit they said it was a $75.00 per ticket to redeposit them. I fired off a email to the DM customer service letting them know how unfair it was to charge me for something I have no control over.
No reply as of yet..

Gary
Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Updated

August 27 - October 31, 2005

New Orleans*

*Passengers can rebook their travel for up to one year for New Orleans only. All customers must rebook and have their tickets reissued by October 31, 2005 and travel must commence within one year from original date of ticket issuance.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:08 pm

Programs: US Chairmans Preferred, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver
DM Customer service said they would allow me to rebook my September 8th flight to New Orleans to anywhere else in the country with no penalties. Since I have a lot of business travel, it shouldn't be a problem.

I just don't see how anyone could predict when they'll be rescheduling their New Orleans trips. One month, two months? Who knows?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 5:37 pm

Location: New Berlin, WI USA - DL Platinum Elite - Marriott Platinum Premier
Refund here...

I recieved a refund to my credit card too...I had two tix for Friday with return on Tuesday.

ChazDawg
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by shell nyc
August 27 - October 31, 2005

New Orleans*

*Passengers can rebook their travel for up to one year for New Orleans only. All customers must rebook and have their tickets reissued by October 31, 2005 and travel must commence within one year from original date of ticket issuance.
So where is US saying that if your flight is cancelled then they will give a refund?

The above piece-of-crap statement seems designed to instill a "fear factor" effect to make the reader think that his/her only recourse is to rebook, AND do so before the end of Oct. I take it that this is US's way to bluf their way into keeping the cash from these tickets.

For those that are getting refunds to your credit card - what did you do to make it happen? A call to the CC company? A call to US? Nothing?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:39 pm

From http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082901829.html

--------
Travel expert Tom Parsons, publisher of Bestfares.com, reminds travelers that if their flights are delayed or canceled due to weather, they are entitled to receive a 100 percent refund of the unused portion of their ticket, if they opt not to fly. Airlines are not required to pay for hotel rooms when travelers are stuck because of weather.
-------

According to:
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4097813&EDATE=

United is giving refunds for tickets scheduled between Aug 25 to Sept 30.

This page:

http://www.planetout.com/news/electi...l?2005/08/30/1

Says:

----------
He also cautioned that some airlines refuse to refund the cost of a flight until it's actually cancelled, while other major carriers, such as United, are willing to grant a penalty-free refund for a limited time only.
----------

So is it an urban myth, or do I have the bona-fide right to a refund (regardless of fare paid) if my flight is canceled due to weather?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:10 pm

Yes, you get a 100% refund if the flight is cancelled. However, as noted above, most airlines won't refund until they actually cancel the flight. The "free rebooking" works even if the flight isn't cancelled.

So yeah, they're making you gamble: will your flight really be cancelled?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Joe Airman
From http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082901829.html

--------
Travel expert Tom Parsons, publisher of Bestfares.com, reminds travelers that if their flights are delayed or canceled due to weather, they are entitled to receive a 100 percent refund of the unused portion of their ticket, if they opt not to fly. Airlines are not required to pay for hotel rooms when travelers are stuck because of weather.
-------

According to:
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4097813&EDATE=

United is giving refunds for tickets scheduled between Aug 25 to Sept 30.

This page:

http://www.planetout.com/news/electi...l?2005/08/30/1

Says:

----------
He also cautioned that some airlines refuse to refund the cost of a flight until it's actually cancelled, while other major carriers, such as United, are willing to grant a penalty-free refund for a limited time only.
----------

So is it an urban myth, or do I have the bona-fide right to a refund (regardless of fare paid) if my flight is canceled due to weather?
If the flight cancels, you are entitled to a refund. Since your flight has not yet cancelled, you are not yet entitled to a refund. They'll probably give you one now if you ask nicely and they expect the flight to cancel anyway.

Hint: your post using underscores to get around the swearing filter does not qualify as "asking nicely". With that attitude, they're likely to tell you to wait until the flight officially cancels.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

My mom's flights were cancelled and the rep said that she still would only rebook...a refund of any kind was not offered and in fact denied when asked for.

J
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:56 pm

Flight status queries on US's web site show that they're listing all flights to MSY up to and including Sept 6 as cancelled.

Question:

If my itinerary is YYZ-CLT / CLT-MSY (out-bound), and if US cancels CLT-MSY, do I have to fly the YYZ-CLT portion to qualify for a refund? Do I even have to show up at YYZ?

----

The re-booking window is now Aug 27 - Oct 31.

"The entire itinerary can be moved forward or delayed, up to seven days from the scheduled origination date."

What does that mean? They want you to comit to an itinerary change a week or more before the originally ticketed date?

"Full value of wholly unused tickets can be applied toward the purchase of a ticket to an alternate destination, with travel to originate within seven days of the scheduled origination date. "

Why are they playing games like this?
Old Sep 1, 2005, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by JS
Travel insurance is a rip-off to begin with, and suggesting its purchase for every single ticket you buy to guard against a 100 year event is just silly.
On another thread, Mr. Airman indicated that he had purchased the ticket last Friday. By then, it was a substantial possibility that the New Orleans area was to be hit by a major hurricane.

I personally don't purchase travel insurance, but then again, I also wouldn't be vocal about complaining that the airline might only offer me the chance to reschedule my trip on a restricted ticket if the " original reason you wanted to go to New Orleans is [no longer] valid".
Old Sep 1, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Just an update. I have actually gotten the credit to my credit card already.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:56 am

US is now showing "cancelled" for flights to MSY up to and including Sept 13.

A statement saying "The Flight is cancelled because of conditions at the New Orleans airport. Customers will be re-accomodated." is being shows regarding these flights.

Is this their way of saying that the flight is not cancelled "due to weather" ???

They are also posting this special message regarding Katrina:

"For customers with existing reservations departing New Orleans through Oct. 31, 2005, we understand that there are far more serious priorities to address at this time. We have implemented a program to protect the value of these tickets, even if customers cannot call on or before their scheduled departure date. We will continue to assess conditions in New Orleans and update this policy as necessary."

Protect the value of those tickets ?!

What kind of bull s_hit are they spewing? The "value" of those tickets are no longer theirs to hoard. Why don't those criminals running US just come out and say:

"We have implimented a psycological campaign to retain the revenue from those tickets and will do our best to obfuscate the situation as we direct customers to re-book or convert them to new itineraries."

Isin't that a more appropriate message?

Are you listening US? Don't you think we can see though your twisted mindset?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.