Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways policy for flights booked to New Orleans?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

US Airways policy for flights booked to New Orleans?

I booked an itinerary last friday for MSY (have some business at Tulane) for Sept 13. It now looks like New Orleans will not be functional for quite some time.

I'm thinking that the only way that US will do anything about it is if the airport is still closed.

Right now they are posting that pax can "re-book" their travel for up to one year for MSY only - if their travel is within the Aug-27 to Sept-5 window. No telling if that window will slide if MSY remains closed. I think the right thing to do would be to allow the tickets to be refunded.

Anyone know what other airlines are doing with regard to tickets for MSY? Are they giving refunds, or are they being as_s_Hole_s about it?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:57 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Another airline (one not in bankruptcy) or in throws of merger .. had that same policy until 5pm today.

At 5pm they announced the following:

Updated 5:00 p.m. CDT August 30
As a result of the impact of Hurricane Katrina, please note the following changes in our airport operations:

Baton Rouge, LA (BTR) - The airport is currently open.
Fort Walton Beach, FL (VPS) - The airport is currently open.
Jackson, MS (JAN) - The airport will be closed through August 31.
Mobile, AL (MOB) - The airport will be closed through August 31.
New Orleans, LA (MSY) - American Airlines will not operate flights to or from New Orleans until at least September 5. Based on continuing evaluations of storm damage, this may change.
Pensacola, FL (PNS) - The airport is currently open.
Please check www.aa.com/gates for current information regarding your specific flight before traveling to the airport for your flight.

If you were ticketed to the above-mentioned areas by August 24, 2005, American offers you the convenience of the following options due to the impact of Katrina:

You may change your origination travel date up to October 31, 2005. No fee or penalty will apply if the original booking class used for your fare is available.
If your travel was booked using an AAdvantage award, you may elect to have the AAdvantage mileage used for this trip refunded. No reinstatement fee will apply.
Non-refundable tickets may be refunded in the form of a voucher only.
Refundable tickets may be handled as normal guidelines allow.
You may apply the value of your unused ticket toward a ticket for travel to another location

I think USA may be a bit behind in making the announcement (having to clear things now with someone else??).. but this appears to be the 'standard'. UAL has extended to the 10th September ... DL is using 06 September ... CO is using 10 September. They seem to vary by 'travel by' and 'reissue by'. I think AA's stance seems to be the most flexible so far... the others may change when they realize The Big Easy is now going to take a bit longer to recover.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

There seems to be damage to the roof of the terminal building.

http://www.flymsy.com/images/Katrina/DSC00554.JPG
http://www.flymsy.com/images/Katrina/DSC02410.JPG

http://www.flymsy.com/images/Katrina/Gallery.htm

(the server for the above web pages is running pretty slow)

Armstrong International Airport remains closed at this time due to power outages throughout the region. There is no timeline for the resumption of air service into the New Orleans area.

Jefferson Parish remains under a curfew. Passengers will not be allowed to retrieve vehicles left in our parking garages until further notice.

All Commercial Flight Operations Have Ceased at this time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.