Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On-line checkin LGW - no can do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Question On-line checkin LGW - no can do?

Sorry if I'm being a complete prat. I've searched and can't find the answer to this one.

I'm returning to PHL from LGW and hoping to use a DS0087. I hate to admit I've never used OLCI, but was hoping to use it for the 1st time for this flight to get a early check in timestamp for the upgrade. I just had a look at it and there is no London departure city. Does that mean there is OLCI from LGW, or do I use my original departure city of PHL?

Thank you, Sally
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:15 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
There is no OLCI ex-LGW. And, so far as I know, it's been like this since the beginning of OLCI.

In order to secure a better spot on the list, you will have to arrive at LGW as early as possible. Be warned: the few times I've flown LGW-PHL or LGW-CLT this summer, it's been quite oversold--to the point where they simply pushed all CP and GP forward on an op-upgrade basis. Do you have status with US?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold
I was on LGW-CLT two weeks ago. No OLCI or kiosk check-in is available. The flight was pretty full, but there were some empty seats in economy. Not sure how the load was up front. On my inbound flight, the crew advised that recommended check-in for return flights was 2.5-3 hours, and this is probably a good idea, regardless of getting on an upgrade list. I only saw the one counter (i think three agents) for processing both the CLT and PHL flights. My seatmate got there about 2 hours before the flight and said the line was quite long. I got there at the 3 hour mark and did not have much of a wait. I would also reccommend getting to the gate quite soon after it is assigned. Things quickly became chaotic in the gate area due to the secondary security checks in such a crowded area.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:03 pm

No OLCI anywhere outside the US for flights to the US (on US-based carriers) - security reasons & immigration reasons - they face stiff penalties if they transport you without the necessary paperwork, so they won't even let you near the check-in counter before they've established you have the necessary documents for entry into the US....
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all - figures I would finally realise that OLCI was an advantage on the direction I couldn't do it. ClueByFour, I am silver (soon to be gold!) but I'm hopeful as there is pretty good availability in Envoy, cattlecar is not yet full, less than a week until I fly *hopeful look*. In truth I'm pleased OLCI is out as I have plans to be out all day the day before I fly. I do usually leave LOTS to time for check-in as we have a 1.5 hour drive on a clear road that has taken us 3.5 hours with bad traffic, such fun.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
I'd agree with checking in as early as possible if you are hoping for upgrade.

When I flew this route a couple weeks ago the economy line was LOOOOOOONNNGGGG with more than 3 hours-'till. However, the Envoy line had only 1 person ahead of me and seemed to keep that way for 15 minutes it seemed to take for checking in and paying the departure tax at the counter near by.

The flight from PHL-LGW was oversold and the return was "about at capacity" I was told. By checking in early I ended up with 2 seats in row 1! Once on-board, I noticed that Envoy had a few empty spaces.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by chtiet
No OLCI anywhere outside the US for flights to the US (on US-based carriers) - security reasons & immigration reasons - they face stiff penalties if they transport you without the necessary paperwork, so they won't even let you near the check-in counter before they've established you have the necessary documents for entry into the US....
There are currently 23 international cities from which you can online checkin with US from. These include Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe. US also has kiosks in Canada, as do many other American carriers.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:51 am
Original Poster

A further question

I've tried searching again, and I have failed to find this answer too. I'm curious about the upgrade clearing order. I have found general upgrade clearing orders, but not how SA upgrades slot in - is there any priority given to a DM upgrade over SA or visa versa? Or does check in time rule supreme?

Edited: I mean something like if 2 silvers check in at the same time, one wants to upgrade with miles, one with SA, is there a difference?

Last edited by Sally4th; Aug 25, 2005 at 8:35 am
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
We tried OLCI in Spain. That's when I notice that Amdsterdam is the only European city which appears in the OLCI menu. Canada and the Carribean list several cities as I recall.

Barry
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:07 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by elbidercni

When I flew this route a couple weeks ago the economy line was LOOOOOOONNNGGGG with more than 3 hours-'till. However, the Envoy line had only 1 person ahead of me and seemed to keep that way for 15 minutes it seemed to take for checking in and paying the departure tax at the counter near by.
Always pay your Envoy departure tax in the Envoy lounge. No lines. No wait. You can do it with a free drink in your hand!

Bag the counter downstairs.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Anything changed?

Is it still the case that AMS is the only European city where one can OLCI? Am flying MAN-PHL-SFO next week - any chance of being able to use it from MAN?

Even if I can't use it from MAN I assume I can on my return SFO-PHL-MAN - is this correct?

Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Checking the US Air web site shows a check-in drop-down list that now returns all European destinations as well as a variety of Carribean and other foreign departure points. So it would appear that one can now check in on-line for most if not all US international departures.

Barry
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
Checking the US Air web site shows a check-in drop-down list that now returns all European destinations as well as a variety of Carribean and other foreign departure points. So it would appear that one can now check in on-line for most if not all US international departures.

Barry
Wow, that would be WONDERFUL. Well spotted Barry, thank you! ^ ^
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:46 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Skip the Line: Use Flight Check-In

The following are not eligible for Flight Check-In:

Itineraries originating in some Caribbean and codeshare cities

Customers holding paper tickets

Groups with over 9 passengers in the same reservation

Tickets in an exchange process and are not ticketed

Children traveling alone

Flight Check-In is only available to Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape 7.1 or higher users
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The drop down on the link posted above still only shows AMS as available European cities, yet the homepage shows them all available. I will give it a go anyway. Anyone tried from a non-AMS european country recently to see if it works?

Edit:

Doesn't matter anyway as I'm not eligible as my booking was not made at usairways.com or a Sabre TA

"Tickets purchased at usairways.com, US Airways Reservations, Airports, Kiosks and City Ticket Offices or Sabre-based travel agencies* are eligible for use on usairways.com Flight Check-In".

Last edited by Jetstreamer; Feb 10, 2006 at 3:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.