Wiki Posts
Search

Last One Out at PIT RES - Turn off the Lights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold
Last One Out at PIT RES - Turn off the Lights

Over the years, I have written over 1000 posts to this forum. At various points in time I have referenced "a family member" working for the company as reason for either being pro or con. Tonight the veil is lifted. While I dont feel like Bob Woodward discussing Deep Throat for the first time, its therapeutic for me to put this reflection out here for all of you to see. I hope you find it worth reading.

Tomorrow, July 29, 2005 at 6pm, will be the last day for the PIT (Greentree) RES office. At that time several hundred US employees, including my father, will punch out for the last time. He's done this job for as long as I can remember, and in fact, much longer than I have been alive - 43 years.

In those 43 years he has witnessed about as many US CEOs as Presidents. He has dealt with tens of thousands of customers. He has made hundreds, if not thousands, of US employee friends that I continue to meet across the US system when checking in (and boy, do I hear some killer stories). His job put my sister and I through college and helped us to travel around the world. In short, his career and life have been nothing but successful.

I have learned alot from my father: how to deal with people, how to solve problems, and how to put on a happy face even when doing something you don't like to do. One of the things my dad tried to teach me that I never quite got was how to fish. But I put on a happy face anyway.

While I can remember many fond work stories over time, I haven't heard many good ones since around 1992 (when his salary was higher than it was last year). I suspect his face hurts from forcing a smile for more than 10 years.

Despite working 43 years, my father is not at social security minimum retirement age (62). Now he gets to look for a job for a year or two, if not three, just to kill time until he is allowed to retire and receive partial SS benefits.

Many of us have told about how its "the employees" who keep us loyal to US Airways. For me, of course, it has been more personal.
Since beginning my professional career I have gone to ridiculous lengths at times to ensure my money went to his company to partially support my father's salary: taken connecting flights when direct or nonstop on other airlines was available, paid for A-class tickets, and of course paid through the nose to fly on US from PIT.

But as of tomorrow, my loyalty is up for bid. I'm sure some of you will say I am being petty, but hey we all have reasons for choosing the airlines we give business to. Luckily, as US continues to slowly close the shop in PIT, its a good time to shop around.

I'll still be flying on US in the future - as my family and I burn several hundred thousand more miles and when US has the cheapest and most convenient flights compared to others - so hopefully I will continue to see you. But my days of blindly giving US money is over. You might say I am luckier than some of you - I have a good reason to get out now.

So for those of you using the RES line tonight and tomorrow, ask if you're talking to someone in PIT, and if so, please wish them well. The few people still working there in general have spent most of their lives serving us; the most recent years have been a real challenge but they've put on their game faces and showed up to play anyway.

So to close, let me just add one last note - to the fish of Western Pennsylvania - watch your back, cause my dad is calling off work for a while.

Last edited by hscottm; Jul 28, 2005 at 9:39 pm
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
That is a very moving post hscottm; I can feel the pain in your heart. It helps to put a face on the brutal, personal realities, of these decisions. Thank you for sharing it.

I could so relate to your story. I'm almost your age. My father went through a very similar situation at exactly the same age -- no doubt emotionally ready to retire but just short of the magic number. It has to be so difficult -- it's tough enough just to watch. Best of luck to you both.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:58 am

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
Wonderful and to repeat, very moving post. Thanks and best wishes to your father!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 4:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hscottm, I've always enjoyed your positive contributions to this forum over the years. Out of loyalty to an airline I've flown since it was Allegheny when I was 9 years old, I've done the same connection versus nonstop, etc., of which you spoke. I'm from a large family and we all used Allegheny, US Air, and US Airways faithfully. As the family's "travel agent" since my teenage years, I'd like to think that your dad was one of the many agents who helped me. I thank you for sharing the story, and wish the very best of luck to your dad.

-Steve
Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:37 am

Thank you for sharing your story. It is sad to think of all these wonderful people out of a job. I hope your father catches lots of fish.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat
Kudos..

Originally Posted by hscottm
While I dont feel like Bob Woodward discussing Deep Throat for the first time, its therapeutic for me to put this reflection out here for all of you to see. I hope you find it worth reading.
That was great - thanks for taking the time to share. There's a lot wrong with the industry, but it hits home to have a face and a story attached to it.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I agree with the positive sentiments above.

Perhaps your dad wants to throw a few smart posts our way now that there is no conflict. He can let us know when we are full of crap or being spoiled. Though I expect that wouldn't leave much time for fishing.

Best of luck to the both of you. It must feel a bit liberating to be able to choose a new loyalty program...seems a bit like getting out of a bad relationship.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Thanks for sharing a moving story, and I certainly have learned a lot from your helpful posts on this forum.

Best wishes to your father. He'll do OK - after all, he raised a helpful, caring son in you! And, like the other "old-timers" at US Airways, he will be missed much for the excellent customer service provided.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:56 am

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
Best wishes to your dad, hscottm! ^

I'm sure he has helped many of us out over the years without knowing it.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold
Thanks for the kind words all.

BTW dont misconstrue my post - you're not so easily rid of ME.

I wonder if I'll see any of the FFOCUS guys at the office today?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Living near the airport and commuting to Oakland daily, I often pass through Greentree. Several of my colleagues are also near the airport and we were talking about the closing of the Greentree res center and other USAirways facilities in the area. The best of luck to those now unemployed... and thanks for your help in the past On the plus side, maybe Fort Pitt traffic will get a little easier now LOL
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent

Darn!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Tell your dad good luck!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:52 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Thanks for the kind words all.

I wonder if I'll see any of the FFOCUS guys at the office today?
Funny you should ask.... news at 11.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:24 am

Great post. The unfortunate thing is there are tens of thousands more stories just like this - and I feel for all of them. Stories like this hit home since I just survived a corporate takover by the skin of my teeth.

Best of luck to your father, all others in Greentree plus all who have left or will leave US (and AWA) in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.