Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance of SP upgrading to Envoy on PHL-London?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways, United, Delta, American, NW
Any chance of SP upgrading to Envoy on PHL-London?

I'm sure the answer is no, but does the upgrade regime work for Trans-Atlantics. Specifically, we have a PHL-London in early November midweek redeye and I wondered if Silver's ever can upgrade crossing the pond like they do in the US. Or, do they have to burn an unreasonable amount of miles?
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:49 am

No free upgrades, and you're next to last in line for op-ups.

http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...m/upgrades.htm
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
miles ...

Originally Posted by usairways lover
I'm sure the answer is no, but does the upgrade regime work for Trans-Atlantics. Specifically, we have a PHL-London in early November midweek redeye and I wondered if Silver's ever can upgrade crossing the pond like they do in the US. Or, do they have to burn an unreasonable amount of miles?
Unfortunately, for us Silver & Golds we have to burn miles to upgrade to Envoy.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:47 am

Programs: US Gold, UA Silver
There is a slim hope, but I would not hold my breath. In Feb. 2004 my wife and I got an op upgrade flying home from CDG to PHL. I was only a Silver at the time. I was completely shocked! I went up to ask about changing out seat assignments, and the GA upgraded both of us to Envoy.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:24 pm

If you want to cough up some cash...

Well, there's always the transatlantic space-available upgrade route. For a November itinerary there might be a shot. As a Silver, you would at least be ahead of general dividend miles members on the priority list.

Said upgrades are sometimes available on Coupon Connection but the most reliable source is generally a certain online auction site. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they are usually available on that site for $100 or so for a pair.

Good luck!
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by EWC-JMU
Well, there's always the transatlantic space-available upgrade route. For a November itinerary there might be a shot. As a Silver, you would at least be ahead of general dividend miles members on the priority list.

Said upgrades are sometimes available on Coupon Connection but the most reliable source is generally a certain online auction site. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they are usually available on that site for $100 or so for a pair.

Good luck!
don't buy them now though - the price plumets towards the end of the year

paid $66 for 3 in Dec.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: US lowlife
I've had good luck as a US4 and US3 on the route to LGW using the S/A certs. I'm making another trip over this year and need a few more of those certs, but I'm holding off until later in the year when the price drops like sts603 said. 100/cert isn't bad, but that will certainly drop in the later months.

-JC
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BrianW
There is a slim hope, but I would not hold my breath. In Feb. 2004 my wife and I got an op upgrade flying home from CDG to PHL. I was only a Silver at the time. I was completely shocked! I went up to ask about changing out seat assignments, and the GA upgraded both of us to Envoy.

I'm surprised the agent did this since US Airways has been very stingy about the number of meals brought onboard for Envoy Class for quite a while now.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Thought I would update....as a US3 on a discount ticket (H out, V back) I got cleared at the gate on the outbound to LGW on 6/30 and at the ticket counter on 8/9 on the return. Outbound was oversold - return was sold out.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:40 am

I'm Silver Preferred and have flown this same route about 10 times over the years and never sniffed an upgrade to Envoy. I think the flight would have to have no golds or CPs on it for you to get it. Just my opinion.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cltwbb
I'm Silver Preferred and have flown this same route about 10 times over the years and never sniffed an upgrade to Envoy. I think the flight would have to have no golds or CPs on it for you to get it. Just my opinion.
Were you trying to use SA certs?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:32 pm

Most of the trips were back in the days when you actually got paper certificates in the mail and I was told that they weren't valid internationally. I tried to sweet talk my way up front and that failed miserably too. I've gotten a "we'll put you on the list if anything opens up" before but that was about it.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cltwbb
Most of the trips were back in the days when you actually got paper certificates in the mail and I was told that they weren't valid internationally. I tried to sweet talk my way up front and that failed miserably too. I've gotten a "we'll put you on the list if anything opens up" before but that was about it.
Oh ok. The SA certs are valid for international Envoy and I did clear r/t last month but you still come behind US2 and US 1 pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.