Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's official, FlightFund to be absorbed into DM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Delta and company already dropped the top tier requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if DM follows suit. The only reason they may not is to maintain uniformity with the other *A brands. I can't see UA dropping it, and they might make it a condition (so the US 75k people don't trump their 75k people) of the merger NOT to drop the qualification.

But it is all speculative. I know DL dropped it to be in line with NW and CO. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens here.
There is no real uniformity among Star carriers. AC for instance has their lowest tiers set lower than US (15K and 35K). Spanair uses a points-based system rather than miles and segments. etc. etc. US can do whatever they feel best meets the needs of their business.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:35 am

Thankful

I'm just thankful that US is hanging around a bit longer w/ enhanced capacity.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:36 am

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Does anyone know for certain whether or not *A carriers are required to have 100k as the top tier threshold? Or something functionally equivalent?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by osxanalyst
Does anyone know for certain whether or not *A carriers are required to have 100k as the top tier threshold? Or something functionally equivalent?
BMI's top tier is 38,000 miles.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:04 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
And keep in mind too, Star Gold and top tier are NOT equivalent on UA. Premier Exec is *G, at 50K/60segments.
I think the "cheapest" *G was AC at 35K. That may have changed in the last few years, but I don't think Star cares what the top tier is for any individual airline, only what the *G qualification level is. The exception being UA, who have a more comprehensive tie-up with US, obviously.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
I'm new to this forum, coming over from HP as a silver. Am I correct in assuming I won't get upgrades unless I use miles?
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by TopGun
I'm new to this forum, coming over from HP as a silver. Am I correct in assuming I won't get upgrades unless I use miles?
We're awaiting the details of the new program, but under the current DM program, unlimited upgrades are available at all levels. The windows to claims upgrades just differ (7,3,1 days), so you would get free upgrades if CP/Gold hadn't already claimed all of them. If the current HP program is similar, I can't imagine it will change much.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:15 am

If you mean, what is the likelihood of a silver/US3 getting an upgrade....

Small, small chance for markets like:
PHL-LAS
PHL-LAX
PHL-SFO
PHL-MCO
PHL-AUA
PHL-CLT

I sit next to US3 sometimes in markets like DEN, BOS, DFW. The unlimited upgrades really reduced the chance for US3's to upgrade because before, Golds/US2's didn't always use certificates on shorter flights.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=USLurker]If you mean, what is the likelihood of a silver/US3 getting an upgrade....

PHL-LAS
PHL-LAX
PHL-SFO
PHL-MCO
PHL-AUA
PHL-CLT
QUOTE]

So basically I'm screwed. I get consistently upgraded on HP out of PHL, I was just wondering how it worked at US.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
As a US3 I have batted 12 for 15 on domestic upgrades. 4 out of 4 using Transatlantic Space Availables.

Most of those flights were at 100% F & Y.
The only upgrades I've missed....
1.) PHL-BNA Sunday after Thanksgiving
2.) BNA-CLT random Thursday but it seemed to be sold out revenue first
3.) PVD-PHL 6 a.m. flight after a previous day of 5 cancelled PHL flights in a row. I had a F seat on my previous night's cancelled 830p flight.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 5:59 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Thumbs down Parker on Pills?

So basically I'm screwed. I get consistently upgraded on HP out of PHL, I was just wondering how it worked at US.
That's the way I am reading it. If you fly to PHL a lot like my wife, it will be a nasty trip. I never go to PHL, but travel to a lot of places back east where AA goes. So it looks like all of my AA Plat business stays and will not go to US and I will also switch my HP business to AA and make it an EP next year with AA. I plan to check out PHX PHL options for my wife so she can dump HP/US too.

IMHO Parker and crew are shooting themselves in the foot on the very first day. I've already cancelled an HP flight to DFW this month and am taking AA instead. I usually go HP when I can go direct, and AA when HP doesn't go there. But from now on in, it looks like I will only fly US when I absolutely have to. I'll consolidate everything with AA and look for another carrier as back up for flights in the West.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
[QUOTE=TopGun]
Originally Posted by USLurker
If you mean, what is the likelihood of a silver/US3 getting an upgrade....

PHL-LAS
PHL-LAX
PHL-SFO
PHL-MCO
PHL-AUA
PHL-CLT
QUOTE]

On PHL-MCO and PHL-CLT is rather easy for a US3 to get an upgrade even on a sold out flight if you fly the A321.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 7:04 pm

[QUOTE=sts603]

On PHL-MCO and PHL-CLT is rather easy for a US3 to get an upgrade even on a sold out flight if you fly the A321.
The A321 and 767 are the exceptions. You see mostly the 757 on MCO.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
One more to add. Totally forget about PHL-ORD. Flights are on 733's...and are impossible (virtually) to upgrade. I'm on this route at least 2x per month. I'm batting 1 for 18 so far this year...
Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by phillygold
One more to add. Totally forget about PHL-ORD. Flights are on 733's...and are impossible (virtually) to upgrade. I'm on this route at least 2x per month. I'm batting 1 for 18 so far this year...

Are you US2 as your handle implies? I have flown PHL-ORD RT many times and always have gotten the upgrade both as a US2 and a US1. And during "peak business travel" times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.