Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where Were You And How Did You First Hear Of The Merger?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2005, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Question Where Were You And How Did You First Hear Of The Merger?

I woke up inexplicably around 2:00 A.M., and was on the computer. Not on FT though. At 3:17 A.M. received the official company Divident Miles email:
Subject=America West and US Airways to Merge
Signed By=
N. Bruce Ashby
Executive Vice President,
Marketing and Planning

As US emails go, it was not bad, had a lot of details. In some other cases, there emails do not answer very many questions. The theme though of the email was that it was business as usual, and that the merger must be approved before anything happened. They kept repeating that.

So I found out at home from the company on a nearly sleepless night in bean town .
Old May 20, 2005, 2:39 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Only on Flyer Talk!

I heard on BBC World.
Old May 20, 2005, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I read about the HP-US merger right here on FlyerTalk. You can check the multiple threads to see in which I first posted, a few minutes after reading about it.
Old May 20, 2005, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
FT of course.

I about 6 repetitive threads all posted within ten minutes of each other, of course
Old May 20, 2005, 5:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
I was here on FT trying to give updates of what CNBC was saying about the merger. ^
Old May 20, 2005, 6:27 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Got the email this morning. As posted, it was a pretty good email as far as corporate speak goes. My first thought was that Byrd guy isn't going to like the name
Old May 20, 2005, 7:23 am

Programs: United Gold
ITRADE, months ago..

Cant find the exact date with new FT search, but ITRADE nailed the important details a few months ago. Have only heard financing details since then
Old May 20, 2005, 7:42 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
I was watching CNBC when the news first broke. I also received breaking news pages through msn alerts to my cell phone.
Old May 20, 2005, 7:52 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by hscottm
Cant find the exact date with new FT search, but ITRADE nailed the important details a few months ago. Have only heard financing details since then
^ ^ ^
Old May 20, 2005, 2:54 pm

Found out right here on FT at around 5:30PM EDT last evening.
Old May 20, 2005, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Original Thread Originators?

Maybe it would be interesting to hear where the people that originated the burst of threads found out? I suppose news though, etc. Any buzz around the US system on this? Anybody find out on a plane, airport, club, etc?
Old May 20, 2005, 5:56 pm

Programs: US CP
I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a day much like any other day. The weather was starting to cool down, which was normal for that time of the year. I was getting ready for school, or rather my mother was getting me ready for school, when we suddenly heard the announcement on the radio.

I didn't really understand what it meant. My mother broke down in tears, crying "No! Not him! He was such a good man!", which was curious in retrospect, her being a Republican and all. My father called home from the office (you had to get to work earlier in those days), having just heard himself, to see how Mom was doing, and he then came straight home from work. I got to stay home from school that day, which I thought was just fine. As I mentioned, I didn't really understand.

Oh, wait -- I was having a flashback to when Kennedy was shot...

I also remember the merger announcement like it was yesterday...

John
Old May 20, 2005, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Seat 9C Onboard US Airways Flight 59 - BDL-CLT 5/19/05 around the ORF VOR. Those of us in the row were talking about the possibility of the merger, and were talking to the F/A earlier. The captain received the message and told the crew. The F/A from earlier came up and told us it has been announced.

When we got into CLT it was mixed emotions, the young employees were practically dancing in the terminal. The older ones...you could tell they have drank so much Kool-Aid to this point, "they'll belive it when they see it..."
Old May 20, 2005, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
The older ones...you could tell they have drank so much Kool-Aid to this point, "they'll belive it when they see it..."

Here on FT.
Old May 20, 2005, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I first heard about it on ABC "World News Now" around 4:30 this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.