Bye Bye Mesa

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2005, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Bye Bye Mesa

Mesa CEO expects US Airways to end its contract in court
Karen Ferrick-Roman, Times Staff
05/17/2005

PHOENIX - More change is expected at US Airways Express.

Though passengers might not notice, alliances being forged, renewed and broken in the airline industry will change which regional operator is flying for major airlines.

On Monday, the chief executive officer of Mesa Air Group, a regional carrier flying largely for US Airways and America West, said he anticipated that US Airways will end its contract in bankruptcy court and those 50-plus planes have been allocated to other airlines.

In a conference call with investment analysts on Monday, Mesa CEO Jonathan Ornstein said he expected US Airways to drop Mesa's contracts in bankruptcy court and have Air Wisconsin fly up to 70 planes as US Airways Express.

Air Wisconsin lost its contract with United Express. In anticipation, Air Wisconsin agreed to invest $125 million in US Airways if it could obtain regional flying rights for US Airways Express.

I really don't like Mesa, but from what I hear Air Whiskey isn't any better.
Old May 17, 2005, 6:18 am

Programs: US lowlife
Not a total surprise. Here's a question - are they going to drop the Aid Midwest flying as well, or just the Mesa flights?

-JC
Old May 17, 2005, 6:23 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by jcooke
Not a total surprise. Here's a question - are they going to drop the Aid Midwest flying as well, or just the Mesa flights?

-JC
From what I've heard from a contact at the affected company's HQ is that the Air Midwest EAS flying will stay, but the non-EAS will go. The EAS contracts are Air Midwest specific (not USX specific) so they'd likely still have to fly the routes, just under their own banner (like they do with New Mexico, South Dakota, etc.). Better to leave it still flying under the US code for now as much of the EAS is centered on PIT.
Old May 17, 2005, 9:11 am

Since Mesa also flies for HP, how does this news tie in to the proposed US/HP merger?
Old May 17, 2005, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I don't think Mesa is going anywhere. Perhaps HP has a much more favorable contract with Mesa and that by terminating the current US contract with Mesa (one of the benefits of Bankruptcy), the RJ flying will fall under the HP contract with Mesa with maybe even more favorable terms for more flying.

Just a guess on my part I do not claim to have anything more than the above speculation to offer, but it would make sense
Old May 17, 2005, 11:55 am

Programs: USairways Silver, NWA, AA
Glad to see mesa gone.

Mesa runs CRJ200, while Air Wis flys ERJ, which is much better.

CRJ 200 is the most uncomfortable plane to sit in.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:08 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by Syracuse
Glad to see mesa gone.

Mesa runs CRJ200, while Air Wis flys ERJ, which is much better.

CRJ 200 is the most uncomfortable plane to sit in.
Actually Mesa runs a combination of CRJ200 and ERJ-145 for US Airways (about 30 ERJ).

Air Wisconsin flies all CRJ (something like 70 of them)... except for the BAe-146 aircraft that are quite old (like 14 or 15 of them in the fleet).
Old May 17, 2005, 12:11 pm

Programs: USairways Silver, NWA, AA
Originally Posted by JAXPax
Actually Mesa runs a combination of CRJ200 and ERJ-145 for US Airways (about 30 ERJ).

Air Wisconsin flies all CRJ (something like 70 of them)... except for the BAe-146 aircraft that are quite old (like 14 or 15 of them in the fleet).
oops, then maybe no more usairways for me, except they have a fare sale.

Last edited by Syracuse; May 17, 2005 at 12:17 pm
Old May 17, 2005, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The Bae146 is NOT an RJ, they have a 33" seat pitch with a 19" width! I'd consider myself lucky to end up one of these birds compared with a mesa RJ or US coach!

Also IIRC, some of the RJ's operated by Air Wisconsin have Economy Plus and First class, don't know whether or not that would carry over to US though. I am positive some of the Mesa and SkyWest RJs have F and E+. Someone can correct me if I am wrong about Air Wisky.

http://seatguru.com/airlines/United_...AE_146-200.php

Originally Posted by Syracuse
oops, then maybe no more usairways for me, except they have a fare sale.

Last edited by NeoOfTheCRS; May 17, 2005 at 1:20 pm
Old May 18, 2005, 4:52 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
The Bae146 is NOT an RJ, they have a 33" seat pitch with a 19" width! I'd consider myself lucky to end up one of these birds compared with a mesa RJ or US coach!

Also IIRC, some of the RJ's operated by Air Wisconsin have Economy Plus and First class, don't know whether or not that would carry over to US though. I am positive some of the Mesa and SkyWest RJs have F and E+. Someone can correct me if I am wrong about Air Wisky.

http://seatguru.com/airlines/United_...AE_146-200.php
First point:totally right. the 146 (comfort-wise) is a 737 with smaller overhead bins and a worse view. (for anybody who uses Northwest, the Avro RJ is the same plane, except Air Wisconsin has no FC on these)

Second point: no. Air Wisconsin is all CRJ-200s, of varying ages, none of which have been upgraded. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
Old May 18, 2005, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I thought you meant Jose

Joe Table blew his second straight save for the Pirates today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.