Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

Opinions On When We Might See the Next US Fare Sale PHX-CLT????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions On When We Might See the Next US Fare Sale PHX-CLT????

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Question Opinions On When We Might See the Next US Fare Sale PHX-CLT????

I'm just wondering if any one is willing to venture a guess as to when we might see the next US PHX-CLT fare sale? I need to purchase 3 RT tickets with travel dates of June 2-16. Right now the cost for a non-stop RT is $555 (!).........and I do need the non-stop flight. I'm getting a bit anxious because I'm at the 21 day mark right now, however I don't want to bite the bullet and pay the $555 p/ticket, only miss out on a much lower fare if US has a fare sale right around the corner!

So, what do y'all think??? Thanks in advance for all advice!
Old May 11, 2005, 6:48 am

Programs: US lowlife
Find a Bank of America Companion Cert.
Old May 11, 2005, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Ok...........I've actually got 2 of those, but I'm buying the tickets for my niece as a graduation present for she and her 2 friends.

Could I book a ticket for myself, use one of those certs for 2 of the tickets, buy the third ticket at the $555 (all on the June 2-16 itinerary), and then CHANGE my ticket to travel another time, (I go to PHX every other month and could schedule my trip for July or August)? Will their tickets still be valid Or do I have to actually take the same trip with them?
Old May 11, 2005, 7:26 am

Book the tickets under their names, pay for it with your card and cert.
Old May 11, 2005, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Please forgive me for being a bit dense.........I've just never used one of the BOA certs before.

If I understand you correctly, I don't need to book a ticket for myself. Rather, because these certs are not in any one person's name, I can buy my niece her ticket in her name and use the cert for her 2 friends and just pay for them all with my BOA card. Right? Also, can I just call the SP desk and book these tickets, i.e., will they take the cert over the phone? If I remember correctly, I can't book the tickets online.

Thanks so VERY much for your kind help and patience!!!

Last edited by 6Arabians; May 11, 2005 at 7:43 am
Old May 11, 2005, 7:44 am

No worries, its still the mornig

Yes, these certs have no name on them so they can be booked in anyone's name, although I dont think they're TECHNICALLY transferrable. But you're the owner of the card and the certs so u can book them!

And yes, you have to call to use the cert. Just give them the star code before they start searching for avail and you should be set.

-JC
Old May 11, 2005, 7:50 am
Original Poster

JC, I'll give it a go and call right now. Thanks again and have a great day!!!

^
Old May 11, 2005, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 6Arabians
and I do need the non-stop flight.
I guess the real question is if you really need the non-stop because I'm sure you could find soemthing cheaper otherwise.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
If you're willing to spend a few extra hours on the outbound, see if Greensboro to Phoenix, connecting via Charlotte, is any cheaper than the nonstop. There may be a significant price difference.

Just park your car at CLT, rent a car one-way to GSO, hop on your flight, and then on the return just don't check bags, get off at CLT, and don't take your CLT-GSO segment.

This is "hidden city" ticketing and against US Airways fare rules, but from what people have said it's rarely enforced on the CLT-GSO flights and there's little the airline can do, in practice, to stop you from throwing away that last segment of your ticket.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

BOA Certs Worked Great!

[Yes, these certs have no name on them so they can be booked in anyone's name, although I dont think they're TECHNICALLY transferrable. But you're the owner of the card and the certs so u can book them!

And yes, you have to call to use the cert. Just give them the star code before they start searching for avail and you should be set
.QUOTE=jcooke]

Worked like a charm! Got all 3 tickets and it worked out to be around $267 per ticket. Apparently, you can use the Star code and as long as you use your BOA DM Visa to pay for the tickets, it doesn't really matter who the passengers are as long as they are all traveling together. Thanks again! ^ ^ ^ ^
Old May 11, 2005, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sts603
I guess the real question is if you really need the non-stop because I'm sure you could find soemthing cheaper otherwise.

If it were me traveling, it wouldn't be a problem to choose a connecting flight, however it's my niece and her 2 friends, therefore we chose the non-stop as it will be much easier for them to handle.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
If you're willing to spend a few extra hours on the outbound, see if Greensboro to Phoenix, connecting via Charlotte, is any cheaper than the nonstop. There may be a significant price difference.

Just park your car at CLT, rent a car one-way to GSO, hop on your flight, and then on the return just don't check bags, get off at CLT, and don't take your CLT-GSO segment.

This is "hidden city" ticketing and against US Airways fare rules, but from what people have said it's rarely enforced on the CLT-GSO flights and there's little the airline can do, in practice, to stop you from throwing away that last segment of your ticket.

I'll have to try that when I price out my next trip to Phoenix! I have an 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive no matter which airport I leave from, so it doesn't bother me at all to fly out of GSO. Thanks for the tip!
Old May 11, 2005, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 6Arabians
If it were me traveling, it wouldn't be a problem to choose a connecting flight, however it's my niece and her 2 friends, therefore we chose the non-stop as it will be much easier for them to handle.
Your genorosity is admirable. I guess I consider anyone graduating HS (I'm assuming - maybe its college) should be able to handle a connection. To a degree, a misconnect leaving one stranded overnight in a strange hub and learning how to rebook and find suitable accomodations without panicing is just part of becoming an adult. But I'm probably strange in thinking that....
Old May 11, 2005, 1:22 pm

Your genorosity is admirable. I guess I consider anyone graduating HS (I'm assuming - maybe its college) should be able to handle a connection. To a degree, a misconnect leaving one stranded overnight in a strange hub and learning how to rebook and find suitable accomodations without panicing is just part of becoming an adult. But I'm probably strange in thinking that....
I know many adults that have issues even with nonstops... I cant seen to understand that but OK. Typically theres someone to direct you where you need to go so connections shouldnt be that hard. Heck, subways sometimes are more convoluded for connections.

-JC
Old May 11, 2005, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Yeah...........well, I know these "just graduated from HS" teens probably would do just fine with a connecting flight, however, since we will be responsible for their well-being, I'm just erring on the side of caution. Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but 3 teenage girls can get into a world of trouble if stranded in a strange city/airport (either by choice or happenstance). My husband and I just feel more comfortable that their folks will put them on the plane in PHX and we will meet them as soon as they get off the plane in CLT. They can get their travel
"experience" on another trip!

I, on the other hand, started flying by myself as a UM at the tender age of 9, but that was back in the days when things were simpler and safer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.