Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

Good Idea to Convert AMEX Membership Rewards to Dividend Miles??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2005, 10:52 am
Original Poster

To all US Air experts (I'm a 1K United flyer):

Trying to close out my AMEX Membership Rewards account. Live in Houston, but strongly dislike Continental's planes and vacation destinations (Asia and Europe).

Also don't like Continental's reward redemption rates (seems to be higher than USAir) and as Houston is a major hub, may limit number of available reward seats.

Deciding between converting to Continental OnePass miles or USAir Dividend Miles.

Planning a trip to Aruba or St. Marteen or Barcelona. Comments/insights greatly appreciated.
Old May 10, 2005, 11:15 am

Have you considered Delta? I think there is currently a 15%-20% conversion bonus from MR to Skymiles. Except for maybe standard/rulebuster awards, Skymiles should be able to get you almost any Continental (or Northwest) award.

Jeff
Old May 10, 2005, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Is there a reason/deadline to close out the account. It's nice to retain the option and keep them in AmEx. Transfers to other programs typically take a day or two (be sure to *register* them in advance though - that can take 5 days). That means you can always make your plans, put the award on hold (I think everyone allows at least 3 days for a hold) and transfer the points to where you finally find you need them.

Yes, CO's award availability is at the bottom of the barrel, but US has the CH11 risk. At a minimum, wait for what I suspect will be a US/HP merger to be announced - probably over the weekend, and see what the post-merger program might look like.

Have you done the math on a hotel transfer? I haven't run the numbers but a smart AC guy (I'm a former ) should be able to look at airfare and hotel costs and figure out how to maximize the value of the points.
Old May 10, 2005, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
Is there a reason/deadline to close out the account. It's nice to retain the option and keep them in AmEx. Transfers to other programs typically take a day or two (be sure to *register* them in advance though - that can take 5 days). That means you can always make your plans, put the award on hold (I think everyone allows at least 3 days for a hold) and transfer the points to where you finally find you need them.
Actually, my Membership Rewards transfers to US Airways have been instant. The miles post immediately after I call Amex to make the transfer. ^
Old May 10, 2005, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Actually, my Membership Rewards transfers to US Airways have been instant. The miles post immediately after I call Amex to make the transfer. ^
I usually say 1-2 days just in case. But yes, it is typically real-time or overnight if done on the web.
Old May 11, 2005, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Math and ACN

Originally Posted by CPRich

Yes, CO's award availability is at the bottom of the barrel, but US has the CH11 risk. At a minimum, wait for what I suspect will be a US/HP merger to be announced - probably over the weekend, and see what the post-merger program might look like.

Have you done the math on a hotel transfer? I haven't run the numbers but a smart AC guy (I'm a former ) should be able to look at airfare and hotel costs and figure out how to maximize the value of the points.

Hey CPRich:

Thanks for the reply! I've done the math, and the reason I'm looking to do this is that I want to cancel AMEX. Tired of paying $395 for Platinum for minimal return on benefits, etc.

Figured I would try to do this soon to get a larger portion of annual fee refunded.

I'm a Marriott guy, but AMEX MR doesn't direcly transfer to Marriott Rewards...another negative aspect re: MR.

Even Starwood points don't get you much.

Therefore, looking for best conversion from MR to Airlines Miles, and that means either Continental, Delta or USAir (for my purposes...wish they would sign up United!).

Good idea on the USAir/HP merger potential.

One thing I like about USAir is their routes to the Caribbean - more than Continental but with drawback of connecting in either CLT or PHL.

Any thoughts/comments on whether Continental or Delta have better routes to Caribbean than USAir?

Thanks!
Old May 11, 2005, 11:53 am

You could probably search the AMEX website, or call an agent, to determine what other cards they have that you could 'downgrade' to which would allow you to keep your MR account open. I'm almost certain nothing will be free, but I'm sure you can find something below $100/yr, which is a big savings over almost $400.

Here's the Carribbean route map for Delta: http://www.delta.com/travel/plan/des...rica/index.jsp

Jeff
Old May 12, 2005, 3:53 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
As Rich noted, I'd also wait to see what is happening with US/HP before moving any miles there. If it doesn't happen, US' survival chances aren't very good.

A couple of other possibilities:
1. All Nippon Airways participates in Amex's program at a straight 1:1 conversion. ANA is also a Star Alliance carrier.
2. Transfer at a 1:2 ration to Hilton Honors (laundering through Continental and then Amtrak)

I was in a similar position to your and moved ~400K points to Marriott before the end of the year. Diners is going to be co-branding with Mastercard very soon (supposed to have my new card within the next month). At that point, I will move the majority of my spending to them. They have a much larger pool of participants, including Marriott, often have bonuses for transfers and an reasonable selection of merchandise that can be bought with an 'almost' decent number of points.

Last edited by BillMorrow; May 12, 2005 at 3:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.