Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading on United

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2005, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta, Starwood, American
Upgrading on United

I have a economy class award ticket to Japan on UA in 3 weeks. Is it possible to upgrade this to business class and US takes out 30,000 miles for it or do I have to have the ticket redospited and book the 90,000 mile business class award ticket. Thanks.

Ricky
Old May 9, 2005, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Short answer: Book the 90K award. Whether it's possible depends upon availability in business, which is far from likely this close to the flight. Before exchanging any tickets ask what if any fees might be involved.

Long answer is at http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...s_dm_on_ua.htm which details how US Dividend Miles members can upgrade on UA (basically $$$ + luck) and won't help you on a transpac segment.

Somewhere a while back I saw something saying that sometime in 2005 Star Alliance upgrade awards would be coming out, and this is what you'd need for this. The lack of these awards is one of my few strong criticisms of Star. I think UA and LH have an agreement that allows some of it, but to my knowledge US doesn't with any other Star carriers.
Old May 9, 2005, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Check the sticky at the top of this page - all about upgrading on UA
Old May 10, 2005, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Short answer: Book the 90K award. Whether it's possible depends upon availability in business, which is far from likely this close to the flight. Before exchanging any tickets ask what if any fees might be involved.

Long answer is at http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...s_dm_on_ua.htm which details how US Dividend Miles members can upgrade on UA (basically $$$ + luck) and won't help you on a transpac segment.

Somewhere a while back I saw something saying that sometime in 2005 Star Alliance upgrade awards would be coming out, and this is what you'd need for this. The lack of these awards is one of my few strong criticisms of Star. I think UA and LH have an agreement that allows some of it, but to my knowledge US doesn't with any other Star carriers.
Lack of these awards?????? It's not as if the oneworld alliance has upgrade awards. In fact, no airlines within the oneworld alliance have upgrade agreements with each other. At least with the Star Alliance, you can use United miles to upgrade on Lufthansa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.