Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far ahead are willing to book tickets on US?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2005, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
How far ahead are willing to book tickets on US?

I've noticed the sticky on 'attacking people' threads that might come up in this forum because of this 'sensitive subject'. So instead of asking if you're booking tickets, I'd like to know how far in advance you're booking them...

What's my motivation? Wanting to go to Cancun in August, and am thinking about booking the hotel and flight seperately instead of in a package... (US is pricing about C$200 cheaper for YYZ-CUN than the Charters).

Would you book today in August?
Old May 8, 2005, 7:20 pm

You'll be fine with a ticket for August.
Old May 8, 2005, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
I also think you will be fine.
Old May 8, 2005, 7:51 pm

I've got tickets for October.
Old May 8, 2005, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alysia
I've got tickets for October.
I've got tickets for both September (for my parents) and October (2 sets for myself & a friend) - I'm completely confident in US Airways' survival. Enought that although I'm a NW loyalist, I'll fly enough this year on US to earn Silver (miles, not segments).
Old May 8, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
I booked reward trip to Carribean for late Nov. I hope were OK although I did it to burn up DM
Old May 8, 2005, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I have 3 iteneries for August. I would book farther in advance if my plans were confirmed.
Old May 9, 2005, 8:44 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I worry--but only a bit--about US tickets I have purchased for September travel. My worry is more that US will cancel some of the flights on that itin as part of reducing service to save $$s (this happened once already on that itin, btw...) Still, I continue to book both UA and US tickets throughout the summer as of this point and into the fall.
Old May 9, 2005, 8:56 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
I have no problems buying tickets at my usual time frame, but that is only a day in advance to a month out.
Old May 9, 2005, 10:48 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
I have purchased a ticket and burned miles for a trip in September.

When they change your Itin, do they e-mail or call you?
Old May 9, 2005, 10:55 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
I have US tix for Aug-Sept (award travel to Ireland) originally booked last October for May and subsequently rescheduled.

A greater risk IMO is that one's personal plans change. I've booked a few trips on Southwest over the summer and have already gone through rebooking on a New Orleans trip twice (the trip got bumped out a month, and now I need to do a meeting in Huntsville rather than flying directly home from MSY). Given that everyone is rushing to the lowest common denominator in terms of quality and amenities, I'm seeing the value in low cost, consistency of service and no-hassle rebooking that I'm getting from Southwest. Kind of hard to book award travel to Irelend with them, tho...
Old May 9, 2005, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by fajimenez
I have purchased a ticket and burned miles for a trip in September.

When they change your Itin, do they e-mail or call you?
I have a RT leaving next week and returning in Aug, I think they'll be around for a while.

The last time it happened to me I got a call from an automated voice. I believe it depends on how you make your reservation, and that they like to email, but that hasn't happened to me yet. I'd of course reccomend checking your itin every month or two before your trip online just to be safe.
Old May 9, 2005, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by tdb27
I have a RT leaving next week and returning in Aug, I think they'll be around for a while.

The last time it happened to me I got a call from an automated voice. I believe it depends on how you make your reservation, and that they like to email, but that hasn't happened to me yet. I'd of course reccomend checking your itin every month or two before your trip online just to be safe.
I have gotten emails regarding schedule changes for both award and revenue tickets booked on usair.com. I believe my parents once got a phone call regarding a sked change on e-tickets booked over the phone once, but that was several years ago.
Old May 9, 2005, 12:23 pm

I have tickets (award) for Cancun for Christmas week. Won't be pleasant if they are not around, but using the awards allowed me to burn the miles, and US is the only one with a BOS-CUN non-stop the days I need to fly, so it was really my first choice. And I have revenue tickets for BOS-SJU for February vacation week. Again, if they are gone it will be tough to get other seats for any price, but when I booked the itin, they were about 50% of AA's fare (now they actually come up as more), and since both my wife and I are gold, and we have two kids, there is a shot for 2 or all 4 of us to get upgraded. On AA only I am Platinum, so there is no upgrade possibility for all 4 of us. So I continue to book on US, and remain optimistic - as a practical matter, it may be UA or DL that goes next (or shall I say first)...
Old May 9, 2005, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile

I am booked through August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.