Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-On Baggage Policy - Lack of Common Sense

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2005, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by NLINK
It is a TSA regualtion that the airlines can only allow 1 carry on and 1 personal item thru checkpoint security. It was initally a FAA directive, then became a TSA after FAA got out of the security side of aviation.
By this line of reasoning then, US had already failed, since they let me through the checkpoint with the extra bag. It seems that we are talking about two different things - getting through security with an extra bag, versus getting on the plane with an extra bag.

If the whole point is to ensure that I don't get past the checkpoint with the extra bag, then TSA should enforce this. In my mind, if it's their rule, and they are so concerned about it, then they should enforce it.
Old May 6, 2005, 3:55 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
It's a simple customer service issue - siding with the passenger makes him happy, which gives him a more favorable opinion of US Airways, which keeps him flying US Airways, which keeps the agent's job secure. Unless the passenger were an undercover TSA inspector there's no plausible way the airline would have been fined for something like this.
I know for a fact that at least at Jacksonville, the TSA management goes undercover and tests airline employees looking for rule violations. TSA people out on the ramp without the proper ID badges tied up a friend of mine and his coworker during much of their aircraft's turnaround, causing a flight delay.

The gate agent is smart to enforce the rules. Simple customer service or not, enforcement of the rules is always the better idea, and it should be done consistantly so this isn't a customer service "But the people in XXXX City let me do it" kind of thing.

Airlines can and do get fined for things. Having worked at HQ for a major airline (not US, but I'm sure the same applies industry-wide) in a department that saw safety-related issues, I can tell you that airlines do get in trouble for even minor rule violations. Of course I cannot go into specific details as that would be improper, but things like a F/A letting a passenger keep a small carry-on tucked behind their legs in the bulkhead row have resulted in trouble for not just the employee but the airline as well. Same with putting too many bags into an onboard closet.... employees wanting to be nice by letting passengers put items into a closet and violating the placarded loading weight or arranging it so not everything is touching the floor have resulted in FAA involvement.
Old May 6, 2005, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else
Just a quick point, Regardless if the flight was a final destination on US, a passenger "could have" a connecting ticket on another carrier, he/she is now past security, past baggage check and ready to board that next flight to XXX, with too much luggage. Best to enforce rules at all points.
Old May 6, 2005, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by justind
Just a quick point, Regardless if the flight was a final destination on US, a passenger "could have" a connecting ticket on another carrier, he/she is now past security, past baggage check and ready to board that next flight to XXX, with too much luggage. Best to enforce rules at all points.
If the rules really are so strictly enforced, as JaxPax claims, then the rules should be changed. Larger "carry-on" (valet) baggage, such as rollaboards, for props and regional jets should carry the same restrictions as checked baggage, as it all goes to the same place inside the belly of the plane.

If a passenger has a connecting flight on a larger jet, the gate agent at the connecting city can easily ask him/her to gate-check the excess bags, to be picked up at the destination airport's baggage claim.

Things just make much more sense to me that way, but we're talking about TSA here so it's unlikely anything will ever change.
Old May 6, 2005, 5:26 pm

The idea is that the security checkpoints are very busy, and they want to have to inspect as few bags as possible to speed things up. Hence the 1+1 regulation. Checked bags don't get the same level of inspection, because they're not accessible to the passenger airside. So only stuff that can be harmful on its own (explosives, etc.) are checked for.

That's also why you can't claim a checked bag while standing next to the aircraft, even if it's in the same luggage compartment as your carryon.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:03 am

Smile Planeside vs Checked baggage information

I understand the frustration that travelers feel when they don't understand the complex regulations that airlines must abide by, especially when it seems like there is no common sense involved. Often airline employees, and I am one of those, assume that passengers do understand why things are the way they are. Hopefully I can clarify some of the problems with carryon, planeside, valet, express and checked baggage.

First off, carryon/valet/express and planeside refer to the same thing. It does not matter if the item ends up inside the cabin, under your seat or in the cargo hold--technically it is a carryon bag. The FAA determines how much the average carryon bag weighs and that average is used in calculating weight and balance. This bag, must also be screened differently than checked baggage. So no matter where it is stored in flight, the actual difference is in how it is counted for weight, and how it is screened.

Checked baggage must always be placed in the cargo hold, no matter how small or large, and is screened in a different way. It may never be transferred into the cabin for any reason unless it is rescreened. The weight that FAA mandates for a checked bag is different than those bags the passenger brings planeside.

Most airlines must limit the amount of luggage a passenger may bring. This is especially important on small commuter planes. Most airlines allow up to 2 checked bags and one carryon item, plus a small personal item (like a purse or briefcase that fits under the seat--items under the seat are counted differently than those in the closet or cargo hold.) Weight and balance is strictly regulated by the FAA for obvious safety reasons.

What the agent in this scenario may have been trying to communicate is that the airline has rules that limit the number of pieces you can bring planeside, due to the strict rules on weight and balance. Perhaps they were reaching the threshold of weight or balance numbers on the aircraft, and both pieces could not be accomodated in the cargo hold or something to that effect. When this occurs, it is sometimes be checked bags that will get pulled off so that the aircraft can actually depart without having to bump passengers. Knowing the rules of allowable luggage and abiding by them, helps to prevent that scenario from occuring. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Originally Posted by LPCJr
The plane is a Dash-8, which of course means...
...that in order to allow you to put your extra bag on the plane, we'll need to add some extra rubber bands and wind the propellers a few extra turns in order to handle the extra weight.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Originally Posted by goheelswks
I was told by the FA that I wouldn't be able to bring on my carryon, as there was no room, blahblahblah. ... she didn't tag it, and they put it through to baggage claim in PHL. Through a miracle, a short line at security (???), and my limited sprinting abilities, I made my connecting flight...by about 20 seconds. :
Isn't the FA required to give you a receipt i.e. claim check?

This way, if you went directly to your connecting flight, the airline is responsible for eventually (actually with due dispatch) transporting your bag to your final destination.

Travel tips: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:01 pm

I have been stopped at both security and the gate for having my laptop, tote bag and purse. I usually put my purse into the tote bag so not to be over the allowance but there have been times when I forgot to do it and they caught it.

You should not have been allowed through security with 2 bags and a briefcase.

Northwest is no longer allowing a personal item on CRJ's. One bag only into the cabin. So I can't bring my laptop and totebag or purse even though they would both fit in the overhead or under the seat. Since I'm not checking my laptop or my purse, I have to bring a small purse that will squeeze into the laptop bag.

Last edited by debbieb; Sep 8, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.